A Study in Red, The Secret Journal of Jack the ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Awesome Review!

American author Barbara Watkins is the latest reader of the book to provide a customer review, the following being the gist of the review which she has submitted to retailer Barnes & Noble for inclusion on their website. She was kind enough to send me a copy of her review in advance of it being published, and this is it:

A Review by US Author, Barbara Watkins

I started reading this afternoon and finished in just a few hours. It was AWESOME! I can't tell you how many times I tried to put it down and could not. There is no reason it should not be on the best sellers list. In my opinion it's worthy of being right along side of Clive Barker and Stephen King.

Not since reading ‘Mister B Gone’ by Clive Barker had I felt such an enthusiasm of excitement with each turn of the page. ‘A Study in Red’ (The Secret Journal of Jack The Ripper) by Brian Porter ranks high at the top of the charts as a phenomenal work of horror and intrigue. Although set as fiction his depiction of the Ripper murders reads all too real. The author transports his reader back in time to 18th century London. Through his articulate choice of words, you will feel the cobblestone beneath your feet, see the deprivation, and smell the stench that engulfed the streets of Whitechapel at that time.

Not unlike the main character of Brian’s novel, the journal will possess your complete attention, and evoke thoughts of terror as you anticipate the final climax. In his novel, the author acknowledges many sources from which he meticulously researched much of his material, further adding great realism to his work. In Brian Porter’s footnotes, he declares ‘A Study in Red’ is a tale, nothing more than fiction, rather than an attempt to throw new light on an old subject. As an avid fan of this new and upcoming author, I can attest he does just that! Brian Porter not only throws a new light on an old subject, he illuminates it!

Barbara Watkins, Author of ‘Behind the Red Door’ and ‘Thorns of an Innocent Soul’.

Regards to all

Brian
    I say again, sleep, fair citizens, while you can, for there will be...a next time! From A Study in Red - The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper, by Brian L Porter

Comment

Cover Art Design award nomination - A Study in Red

'A Study in Red - The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper' has been nominated for the Authors Lounge Cover Art Design Awards for May 2008.

Voting has now opened, and runs tro the end of the month. Could I ask any of my friends who feel kindly disposed towards the book to visit http://www.talauthors.com/TAL/RomanceandMoreAwards.htm and if you feel the book cover has merit, to place a vote which would be greatly appreciated.

Cover artwork was by the brilliant Deron Douglas at Double Dragon Publishing.

Thanks in advance to those who are generous enough to support the book.

Brian
      I say again, sleep, fair citizens, while you can, for there will be...a next time! From A Study in Red - The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper, by Brian L Porter

Comment

I have registered my vote Brian, well done and good luck.
        Regards Mike

Comment

Hi Brian

I too have registered my vote.

Have just spent the whole day in the garden - reading - much to the annoyance of the better-half who was weeding.

What a great work - I thoroughly enjoyed it & couldnt put it down. As far as I am concerned it is up there with the best of JTR fiction.

Coral

Comment

Hi and congratulations.

Originally posted by Rescuedog View Post
            the book hit the Top Twenty in the Amazon Uk list of Best Selling Ripper books.
            I can't find that list on the site Amazon.UK. How do I do that, please?

Paddy

Comment

Originally posted by coral View Post
              Hi Brian

I too have registered my vote.

Have just spent the whole day in the garden - reading - much to the annoyance of the better-half who was weeding.

What a great work - I thoroughly enjoyed it & couldnt put it down. As far as I am concerned it is up there with the best of JTR fiction.

Coral
              Coral,

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding A Study in Red. I am thrilled that you enjoyed it so much and to receive such praise is wonderful for an author. That you rate is so highly amongst other JTR fiction is a compliment that I receive graciously and with humility.

Thank you.

If you ever have the time, and feel so inclined, I would love it if you felt kindly disposed enough to place a short review on the Amazon UK site?

Have a wonderful rest of the day in the garden. I've been weeding too today, so can imagine how hot and tired your other half must be, but then again, you did have something important to attend to after all....lol

My very best regards as always.

Brian
              Last edited by Rescuedog; 05-12-2008, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy Goose View Post
                Hi and congratulations.

I can't find that list on the site Amazon.UK. How do I do that, please?

Paddy
                Hi Paddy,

Thanks for the congratulations. To get the listing of JTR best sellers on Amazon.Uk, simply go to http://www.amazon.co.uk/jack-ripper-...0ripper&page=1

You'll find the listing for all 279 JTR books listed on Amazon in bestselling order. The list is updated regularly throughthe day so places can change very quickly. My book has now slipped down to #41, but can just as easily rise again with a few sales under it's belt.

Best regards

Brian

Comment

That list should read, "What Mike has recently ordered!"

Well done on the placing Brian.
                  Regards Mike

Comment

Hi Brian

A review both in the WS Journal And Amazon will following shortly. Very well deserved. Would have done it tonight but i am sitting in the darkness - maybe something to do with your book??

Coral

Comment

Originally posted by coral View Post
                      Hi Brian

A review both in the WS Journal And Amazon will following shortly. Very well deserved. Would have done it tonight but i am sitting in the darkness - maybe something to do with your book??

Coral
                      Thanks Coral,

I really appreciate that. I'm just so delighted that you enjoyed A Study in Red so much that you are now consigned to sitting in darkness waiting for....what, I wonder? I hope the room is suitably quiet, with the finger-like tendrils of a tree in the garden gently brushing against the panes of the window, and....oops sorry! There I go again....lol

Best regards

Brian

Comment

I love siting in the darkness, it gets the imagination running wild.

Once on a Paranormal Investigation we were in a celler and it was dark you could not see you hand in front of your face. It was actually quite calming.
                        Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                          I love siting in the darkness, it gets the imagination running wild.

Once on a Paranormal Investigation we were in a celler and it was dark you could not see you hand in front of your face. It was actually quite calming.

I might have known Mr. Covell would enjoy sitting in the dark. Now come on Mike, it's just your rmean Yorkshire streak kicking in. We know you don't want to pay the electricity bill. All I do in the dark is bump into things.

Then again, I forgot to ask if your investigation of the cellar produced any positive results.

Best regards

Brian

Comment

Apart from me attempting to walk down a tunnel with no lights and walking into a wall, we did hear a cracking noise, like when you step on a dry twig.

Moments later the guide told us we were next to a room where a man hung himself!!

Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                              Apart from me attempting to walk down a tunnel with no lights and walking into a wall, we did hear a cracking noise, like when you step on a dry twig.

Moments later the guide told us we were next to a room where a man hung himself!!

Spooky Mike! The snapping of a dry twig...or the snapping of the neck?

Rather you than me!

Comment

Whilst I know what I heard, and it sounded like a twig snapping, the cellar area was away from any external source which could produce such a sound, and there was no evidence of twigs or other such debris in the room.
                                As we were all stood outside the room, and having checked the room, it ruled out someone playing about.

The story of the hanging is, at this point, unverified, but did make a few of the group put two and two together. I was pretty on edge after that, but in hindsight, remain in two minds as to the cause.
                                Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X