"I think I know him"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
    Ok, you folks are obviously very Mitre Square savy ...so where was the pub that was located before 1888 that was inside Mitre Square? Its referenced in at least one press account, I believe when they were seeking out dynamiters.
    The lane way of the Bull Inn used to extend into Mitre Square.

Reckon your press account refers to a pub outside of the actual Mitre Square as we understand it these days.
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Isn't there talk in the papers of McCarthy's shop/cafe which was often "open until two or three in the morning, and sometimes all night"? Could this place have been mistakenly referred to as a "public house" in a news article, thus explaining why no tavern shows on the maps?
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

• Nope

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
          Never been able to identify one in the square, no obvious place for one that I can see.
          There is a public house however on the glad map in st James place.
          I have always assumed the report was mistaken. Do you have any information or suggestions Michael?

Steve
          Just curious really Steve, Ive read that Mitre Square had quite an interesting past and Ive wondered whether a pub inside that square might have been linked to one or more of the victims.
          Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by Hunter View Post
            Hello Mike,

Apparently Phillips thought there was an effort to decapitate the head too..." The muscular structures between the side processes of bone of the vertebrae had an appearance as if an attempt had been made to separate the bones of the neck."... unless there is another way to interpret that.

Also, the "consequence of haste" could apply to Mitre Square too, maybe even more so...could it not? Dr. Brown apparently seemed to think so as he carried out an experiment on how long it would take to excise a human uterus. Did you know that?

On the police investigation following the Chapman murder, who were the medically qualified suspects they found outside of this one unnamed medical student?
            Hi Hunter,

I believe Mr Sugden's book specifically names three that were considered worthy of looking into, if I'm not mistaken I believe Puckridge was one of them. As far as the timing inside the square, I'm afraid I'm very skeptical that from the sighting with Sailor Man to the dark corner inside the square and all the subsequent actions taken in there, the sighting at 1:35 was probably not of Kate. Haste is one thing, if the sighting and timing of the officers was correct, that would be speed surgery in almost pure dark conditions. I think its possible she may have been killed inside one of those unoccupied buildings in the square. I'm sure you recall how puzzled they were about the apparent lack of blood...although they later noted her soaked clothing when she was moved. They wondered aloud at the time whether she was killed elsewhere, and dropped in that spot.
            Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by jerryd View Post
              Michael,

There were several coffee houses in the area but none in Mitre Square to my recollection. Sams Coffee House was at #9 King Street next door to the buildings I mentioned Frankilin King and his father had a lease on. This would actually be St James Square but someone could have confused it for Mitre Square, I guess. I believe at one time #6 and #7 Mitre Street were used as coffee houses as well. Not sure exactly when though.
              Thanks jerry, I'm sure you've seen why this line of questioning in my other responses.
              Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post

Reckon your press account refers to a pub outside of the actual Mitre Square as we understand it these days.
                Thanks DJA.
                Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                  Thanks jerry, I'm sure you've seen why this line of questioning in my other responses.
                  Hi Michael,

Yes, I see what you are getting at. The Rose and Crown Coffee Shop just outside of St James place on Houndsditch would seem to make more sense at this point. It was known to be used a few months later by Abberline to hold a witness in the Cleveland Street Scandal. Kate would have passed right by it on her route to Mitre Square. That would also put James Blenkinsop's testimony into the spotlight more due to the direction the man asking about the couple was coming from. Blenkingsop admitted he had "seen some people pass".
                  Last edited by jerryd; 12-29-2017, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Hi Michael,

Yes, I see what you are getting at. The Rose and Crown Coffee Shop just outside of St James place on Houndsditch would seem to make more sense at this point. It was known to be used a few months later by Abberline to hold a witness in the Cleveland Street Scandal. Kate would have passed right by it on her route to Mitre Square. That would also put James Blenkinsop's testimony into the spotlight more due to the direction the man asking about the couple was coming from. Blenkingsop admitted he had "seen some people pass".
                    Thanks jerry. I think its likely that Sailor Man/Kate was a mistake sighting, and even Lawende himself didn't think he could recognize the man a week later. If thats the case, then from Kates release and arrival near the square until almost 1:45 allows for plenty of time for the murder and the mutilations. And perhaps, a changed venue for the corpse. If she did have a meeting that night it might makes sense that it would be indoors somewhere. The contemporary police even speculated aloud about her being dropped there.
                    Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post

Wasn't the Bull Inn on Aldgate High street, near Aldgate Station? Bull Inn Yard certainly extends along the railway tracks there. Or was there another pub of the same name?

Comment

Hi Jerry,
                        This may be a silly question, but are you sure that is the correct Rose and Crown? I only ask as it's shown as a public house on the Goad map, i.e. Licensed to sell alcohol, rather than Rest([aurant] as is the (disused in 88) coffee shop at 7 Mitre St.
                        Also, it seems strange to me that the Met police would ensconce a witness in City police territory.
                        I know very little detail about the Cleveland St business though, so I'd be happy to learn more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                          Wasn't the Bull Inn on Aldgate High street, near Aldgate Station? Bull Inn Yard certainly extends along the railway tracks there. Or was there another pub of the same name?
                          It was an old coaching inn which was mentioned in The Pickwick Papers.
                          Reopened briefly around the time of Jack's reign of terror.
                          It was on the other side of Mitre Street to the station.
                          Popular hotel name.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                            Hi Jerry,
                            This may be a silly question, but are you sure that is the correct Rose and Crown? I only ask as it's shown as a public house on the Goad map, i.e. Licensed to sell alcohol, rather than Rest([aurant] as is the (disused in 88) coffee shop at 7 Mitre St.
                            Also, it seems strange to me that the Met police would ensconce a witness in City police territory.
                            I know very little detail about the Cleveland St business though, so I'd be happy to learn more.
                            Hi Joshua,

Here is the extract from the testimony of Algernon Allies during the trial:

Mr Avory- From the time of your coming up to London to give evidence did you live in lodgings under the observation of the police? Witness- Yes.

Mr. Vaughn- Where? Witness- the Rose Coffee House, Hounsditch.

Comment

• Walter Izant,a licensed victualler,might have been running the Rose Coffee House,38 Houndsditch in 1891 apparently.

Someone might want to check that.
                              Last edited by DJA; 12-30-2017, 07:14 PM. Reason: been

Comment

• classic misdirection

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                                It was an old coaching inn which was mentioned in The Pickwick Papers.
                                Reopened briefly around the time of Jack's reign of terror.
                                It was on the other side of Mitre Street to the station.
                                Popular hotel name.
                                The Bull Hotel, a coaching Inn mentioned in Pickwick Papers is located in Rochester Kent. How it could have reopened in Mitre Street briefly during the Ripper's reign of terror is beyond me. Also which station are you reoffering to? Aldgate Station was nowhere near Mitre Street.

Comment

Working...
                                X