This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
    On the level of Kretschmer himself, he probably did not personally seek that kind of global power. But he was probably aware of how the regime in Germany had been acting since 1933, and that it had (by 1941) conquered or controlled most of the continent of Europe and North Africa. As a U-boat ace he was told to sink ships of the Allies. He never doubted he was right to do that. Did he ever wonder about the eventual result of sinking those ships? You may argue that his view in doing this was patriotic, but he must have realized that if "Operation Drum-beat" in the Atlantic Ocean had succeeded the Hitler regime would have won - and that regime was not interested in self-agrandizement and conquest? There was a little ingenuousness there.

Jeff
    I don't think there is anything that points to Hitler wanting to conquer America. Sinking Allied vessels in the Atlantic was first and foremost to strangle Britain, but American destroyers assigned to British convoys were hunting German U-boats even before Pearl was attacked, in flagrant breach of neutrality. The subsequent declaration of war by Germany was, as such, a god-send to the Kriegsmarine, who could now target American ships at will. Operation Drumbeat was meant first and foremost as a blow to US morale, with a secondary goal of sinking some US tonnage. In no way, shape or form was it meant to pave the way to an eventual invasion of the Eastern Coast. Remember that Hitler had never wanted war with America, hoping that his alliance with the Japanese would allow him to attack the Soviets from two fronts. Unfortunately for him, Japan was not interested in a war with the Soviet Union, and with their attack on the US that door was permanently closed.

There is no doubt that Germany was after a "Gross-Deutschland", consuming vast stretches East-wards for the sake of Lebensraum, but the world? That's more than a little hyperbolic.

Comment

You've got to be kidding.
      Please.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
        I think we are the people who need 'peace be upon him'. Because Christ, do we ever need some sort of moral compass.

We think it's fine to go into other people's countries and hand them instructions on how to run their lives while re-arranging the furniture.

Now of course your average man/woman on the street has paid the price, was it ever thus.

But, I don't recall people from the Middle East and places such as North Africa having a problem with us before we began to throw our collective weight about.

You waltz into someone else's country and they're not gonna like it, nor are they gonna play by your rules in a game they can't win with three or four proto-tanks.

'Time we looked in the mirror and left these places. History supports my point of view, it usually starts one way and ends one way; and this will not end until we leave.
        Hi fm
        Have fun in china!
        Good riddance. Send us a post card.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
          You've got to be kidding.
          Please.
          I can only assume you are addressing me since you are too lazy to use quotes (or arguments, for that matter), and I was the one who last posted before you did. But what exactly are you objecting to, and on what grounds?

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
            I can only assume you are addressing me since you are too lazy to use quotes (or arguments, for that matter), and I was the one who last posted before you did. But what exactly are you objecting to, and on what grounds?
            Hi Karl.
            Yes I'm lazy. **** you.
            Starts with an F

Comment

Btw. Long live Kayla Mueller. You know who she is?

Comment

I don't think there is anything that points to Hitler wanting to conquer America. Sinking Allied vessels in the Atlantic was first and foremost to strangle Britain, but American destroyers assigned to British convoys were hunting German U-boats even before Pearl was attacked, in flagrant breach of neutrality. The subsequent declaration of war by Germany was, as such, a god-send to the Kriegsmarine, who could now target American ships at will. Operation Drumbeat was meant first and foremost as a blow to US morale, with a secondary goal of sinking some US tonnage. In no way, shape or form was it meant to pave the way to an eventual invasion of the Eastern Coast. Remember that Hitler had never wanted war with America, hoping that his alliance with the Japanese would allow him to attack the Soviets from two fronts. Unfortunately for him, Japan was not interested in a war with the Soviet Union, and with their attack on the US that door was permanently closed.

There is no doubt that Germany was after a "Gross-Deutschland", consuming vast stretches East-wards for the sake of Lebensraum, but the world? That's more than a little hyperbolic.
                Hyperbolic?
                My grandfather was killed in ww 2 you ******* dooshbag.
                Tell me your address. Would love to buy you a drink.

Comment

Comment

Hyperbolic?
                    My grandfather was killed in ww 2 you ******* dooshbag.
                    How does that change anything? My father lived through German occupation. That doesn't change anything either, but is slightly more relative than your grandfather being killed in WWII. It still does not affect, in the slightest, the motivations of any of the participants. Someone's grandfather was killed in the 2003 war in Iraq as well, but that doesn't mean America was out to conquer the world.

And that's douchebag to you.

Tell me your address. Would love to buy you a drink.
                    I am opposed to doxxing, so I am going to set a good example and not dox myself.

Not sure what Kayla Mueller had to do with WWII, either.

Comment

How does that change anything? My father lived through German occupation. That doesn't change anything either, but is slightly more relative than your grandfather being killed in WWII. It still does not affect, in the slightest, the motivations of any of the participants. Someone's grandfather was killed in the 2003 war in Iraq as well, but that doesn't mean America was out to conquer the world.

And that's douchebag to you.

I am opposed to doxxing, so I am going to set a good example and not dox myself.

Not sure what Kayla Mueller had to do with WWII, either.
                      God your a moron. Do yourself a favor and google her. You just might learn something.

Comment

Yeah. Didn't think so. Go crawl back in your hole.

Comment

God your a moron. Do yourself a favor and google her. You just might learn something.
                          I know who she is, just not what your point is. Random name dropping doesn't impress anyone.

Comment

I know who she is, just not what your point is. Random name dropping doesn't impress anyone.
                            Firstly, Karl I apologize if I just reopened a can of worms. I hope everyone realizes that I was simply making an observation about the statement of the German submarine ace (which, by the way, is a remarkable achievement to have made that much sunken tonnage AND SURVIVED).* I was not planning to start reminding people about what horrors happened on both sides in World War II. As a Jew in America most of my relatives whom I grew up with were safe in those years, and only those (including my father) were old enough to serve in the war - but even the ones who fought managed to survive (though one had some bad experiences in island invasions in the Pacific).

Secondly, let's return to 2016 rather than 1933 - 1945. It's modern terrorism we are facing here. Otherwise, if we are going back we can start with earlier warfares (anyone for the Thirty Years War?**).

[*To put it in a kind of focus, Captain Georg von Trapp was the sixth ranking submarine ace of World War I (from Austro-Hungary) who happened to survive that war in those early u-boats. His remarkable success rate is the reason he was wanted (in 1938 after the Anschluss) by the Germans to be part of their submarine program - which is the basis (in part) for the plot of the story of the von Trapp Family Singers, which we remember as the story of the musical "The Sound of Music".]

[**Please, nobody say that their tenth great grandsire perished in the massacre at Magdeberg, or that they were glad that General von Wallenstein was assassinated!]

Jeff
                            Last edited by Mayerling; 07-15-2016, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
                              I think we are the people who need 'peace be upon him'. Because Christ, do we ever need some sort of moral compass.

We think it's fine to go into other people's countries and hand them instructions on how to run their lives while re-arranging the furniture.

Now of course your average man/woman on the street has paid the price, was it ever thus.

But, I don't recall people from the Middle East and places such as North Africa having a problem with us before we began to throw our collective weight about.

You waltz into someone else's country and they're not gonna like it, nor are they gonna play by your rules in a game they can't win with three or four proto-tanks.

'Time we looked in the mirror and left these places. History supports my point of view, it usually starts one way and ends one way; and this will not end until we leave.
                              Too bad you and your screen name is inversely proportional to the actual band.
                              Fleetwood Mac is awesome. Unfortunately, you are not.

Hey, if we suck so bad, why don't you get off your fat ass and leave. I hear Afghanistan is really nice this time of year.
                              Yeah. Didn't think so.

" because Christ, do we ever need a moral compass"

If you knew the teachings of Jesus, other than just as an injection, You might just have a modicum of intelligence and morals, but apparently not, since you are too busy disparaging the most charitable, protecting and welcoming country this universe has ever seen.

Yeah man, geese... Wish Russia was the worlds policeman.

Give me a ******* break.

Comment

You obviously don't know who she is because if you did you wouldn't be such a ******* nob!

Comment

Working...
                                X