This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outrage in Nice

A lorry has been driven into a crowd of people killing over 70 and injuring many more. It is not yet known for sure if it was a terrorist attack.

And, on a lower level of outrage but still outrageous : video and photographs of the dead are apparently on the internet.

One can only puke.

Originally posted by Robert View Post
    A lorry has been driven into a crowd of people killing over 70 and injuring many more. It is not yet known for sure if it was a terrorist attack.

And, on a lower level of outrage but still outrageous : video and photographs of the dead are apparently on the internet.

One can only puke.
    Seem to be getting differing reports on if it was deliberate or accidental, I guess time will tell.

And only said to Mrs Gut this morning, "Strange isn't it they grab their phone and post video on line, rather than rushing to help the injured."
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

One can only puke.
      It's a news event, and I think its reasonable to post pictures of what happened. When I was a child in the 60s, more nights than not you saw things on the evening news that would now be blurred out, or have a hypocritical black bar pasted over them. I don't really think we've become a better society as a result of the change.

The internet does have the great advantage that you can put distressing sights behind a 'click to view' link, so people can decide for themselves whether to see it, which is to my mind the proper way to proceed. Still, the attack happened, and it happened in a public place, so I can't fault anyone for taking and posting pictures, so long as they had no way to help, and so long as they treat the matter solemnly.

Originally posted by GUT View Post
      And only said to Mrs Gut this morning, "Strange isn't it they grab their phone and post video on line, rather than rushing to help the injured."
      And if they could have helped the injured, and knew that, and took pictures instead, I condemn them without reservation. Still, I can't help but be mindful that one of the frequently-reinforced themes which runs through modern society is that of "let the professionals deal with it". It has consequences.
      Last edited by Ginger; 07-14-2016, 05:04 PM. Reason: Addendum
      - Ginger

Comment

Seem to be getting differing reports on if it was deliberate or accidental, I guess time will tell.

Oddly it reminds me of the last of the Seinfeld episodes, where Jerry and his friends are getting a video of a man being attacked in New England, and don't help him, but laugh at the victim (later they are tried for this non-action by them). But people love to look at car wrecks on the highway too. Humanity can be quite a trial.

I heard the truck was a large one (eight wheeler or more). Still not sure if it was an accident or not. My guess is it probably was intentional. Today is Bastille Day, and the crowd in Nice were looking at a fireworks display. The timing sounds suspicious if it was an accident.

Jeff

Comment

Just heard the terrorist dept is investigating.

Yeah maybe we need that Good Citizen law after all.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Jeff, it was definitely intentional. The driver has been killed by police and the lorry was found to contain arms and grenades.

Comment

Jeff, it was definitely intentional. The driver has been killed by police and the lorry was found to contain arms and grenades.
              Thanks Robert, that part not reported here yet.
              G U T

Comment

On the radio ISIS have claimed responsibility.
                G U T

Comment

Thanks Robert and GUT,

I had not heard by 8:30 EST in New York City. I'll catch the news at ten.

Somebody should pull one of these on ISIS or ISIL's own people - I shouldn't wish that, but I'd wonder what would happen if their families were similarly slaughtered by a suicide squad of killers.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                    Somebody should pull one of these on ISIS or ISIL's own people - I shouldn't wish that, but I'd wonder what would happen if their families were similarly slaughtered by a suicide squad of killers.

Jeff
                    Collective punishment is about all that's really going to stop this, I fear.
                    - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                      Collective punishment is about all that's really going to stop this, I fear.
                      Last I heard last night was somewhere about 80 people were killed, many women and children who just wanted to look at the fireworks.

Jeff

Comment

From what I can make out so far (and it's still fluid) only one man was involved - a Tunisian or Franco-Tunisian. The arms and grenades in the truck were apparently fake. It's looking like an ISIS-inspired lone wolf.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                          Hi Jeff,

My guess is that it would only play into extremist hands and make the problem worse. They want a reaction, and the killers are prepared to commit suicide to get it, and for any friends or family members with the same mindset to do the same. They attack innocent people indiscriminately, making victims of children and adults, Muslims and non-Muslims alike. How would we go about taking out only those who are prepared to die anyway for their murderous 'cause'? And why would we want to take out anyone who has no involvement?

Love,

Caz
                          X
                          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Mes pensees et le Coeur sont avec la France

Steadmund Brand
                            "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

On the radio ISIS have claimed responsibility.
                              Early days yet. Terrorist organisations are often quick to claim responsibility whether they had anything to do with it or not. All we know of this guy so far is that he was a Frenchman of Tunisian descent. So he could have been ISIS, or maybe he radicalised himself like Omar Mateen did. It strikes me more as the act of a loner than something organised.

Comment

Working...
                              X