Davy Jones R.i.P.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caz View Post
    Davy Jones was my first crush. I was thirteen when my Mum drove me and a friend to Wembley to see the Monkees in concert in the summer of 1967. I wore a new peach trouser suit for the occasion and my friend had a lime green one. I only had eyes - and screams - for Davy. I can still remember the ringing in my ears throughout the night afterwards. Pure magic.

Thank you Davy.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Love,

Caz
    X
    I loved your story Caz, and although the Monkee's music held no great appeal to me, Davy Jones just made my heart skip a beat everytime I saw him! He just made you sort of melt! He was what 'nice girls' aspired to.

Bless you Davy for the simple pleasures you created at a time when childhood and growing up was special.

xx

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
      Stephen, I just wish Caz had been around in 1888 as a witness - she'd have put Hutchinson to shame.
      Slightly different, Robert. I wasn't describing the clothes of a stranger I had claimed to see at night.

I didn't get many new clothes in the swinging sixties, mainly hand-me-downs or made (badly) by me or my Mum. So the peach trouser suit was a treasured piece of kit, whereas my friend had new clothes bought for her all the time, but had to have a trouser suit the minute I got mine. I was only surprised she didn't plump for the same colour!

Hi Limehouse,

If Davy was what 'nice girls' aspired to (I wanted him for a cuddly toy), it probably explains why I went on to fancy Rod Stewart in the seventies.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Love,

Caz
      X
      Last edited by caz; 03-06-2012, 03:04 PM.
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Hi Caz,

I STILL fancy Rod Stewart! Davy was the boy-next-door, approved of by clucking female relatives. Rod was sex on legs (still is) and i bet many 'nice girls' hid a passion for him!

Julie

Comment

An otherwise forgettable B-minus (or worse) movie, but the late Davy Jones and the Monkees made a psychedelic era movie called "Head" in which they starred with veteran Hollywood actor Victor Mature -- he was the "Head" of the title! -- and beach movies and Mickey Mouse Club alumnus Annette Funicello.

Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 03-06-2012, 09:57 PM.
          Christopher T. George
          Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
          just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
          For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
          RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

A favourite memory of mine from the 1960s is my mother's attempt to ween my sister from the much frowned upon (by my mother!) Elvis and Rolling Stones. She got her sister (my auntie Connie) to tape a Bachelors LP onto a reel-to-reel tape and encouraged my sister to 'listen to those lovely boys with their nice clean hair and lovely sweaters'. My sister's look of derision should have been captured for all time!

Dear mum. She introduced me to some wonderful music (not the Bachelors!!) and to this day I adore Kathleen Ferrier and Mario Lanza!

Comment

Hi Limehouse

Nice to see that your Mum introduced you to some culture instead of the dreaded rock and roll.

Cheers

Chris
              Christopher T. George

Comment

The Bachelors sang "I wouldn't trade you for the world." The Barron Knights turned this into "I don't want to go to work on me bike in the rain."

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                  Hi Limehouse

Nice to see that your Mum introduced you to some culture instead of the dreaded rock and roll.

Cheers

Chris
                  Thanks Chris. I can't say, hand on heart, that I am not fond of quite a lot of rock but my parents also left me with an eclectic taste in music embracing classical, blues, folk, brass band msuic - a bit of everything really.

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                    Hi Caz,

I STILL fancy Rod Stewart! Davy was the boy-next-door, approved of by clucking female relatives. Rod was sex on legs (still is) and i bet many 'nice girls' hid a passion for him!

Julie
                    Hi Julie,

I saw Rod in concert three times - with another friend - at Wembley and Brighton. After the second Wembley concert we went to the Hilton for a last drinkie-poo before braving the tube home. We didn't know Rod would be there with his then fiancee Rachel Hunter. The barman tipped us off that the couple were about to leave the restaurant and that Rod would probably sign our tickets because I was his 'type' - ie blonde. They came out and Rod was clearly the worse for drink but he autographed our tickets and my friend was furious because I had the nerve to kiss him on the cheek! I did ask Rachel first. Then I stupidly left my precious ticket in the taxi from East Croydon but the driver found it for me the following morning and brought it round, so I still have it.

My Dad used to loathe the Stones. His favourites were Gilbert & Sullivan. When I annoyed him by playing 'The Last Time' over and over again, he said there was nothing wrong with Mick Jagger's voice that couldn't be put right with a good cut-throat razor.

My Mum must have had terrible taste in music, she loved Esther and Abi Ofarim's Cinderella Rockefella. Yet she was taught music at school by Gustav Holst so she had no excuse. Probably on a different planet.

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    Last edited by caz; 03-07-2012, 01:29 PM.
                    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Very funny track from ladies' heartthrob of yesteryear.

Bizarre track from TV's Jason King's rather notorious solo album from 1970.

Comment

I'm of an age where I remember the Monkees TV show very well. I used to rush home from school to watch it.

It's sad he's gone (at on 66) but he died peacefully in his sleep and that (surely) is what any of us could hope for?

I wouldn't ever have described him as a great singer though.
                        This is simply my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                          Very funny track from ladies' heartthrob of yesteryear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tdG0Ivz5uI
                          Hi Robert

Peter Wyngarde is new to me so thanks for posting that. His "posh" accent reminds me of Vivien Stanshall and the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band:

Christopher T. George

Comment

Hi Chris

I think the album was a one-off, since Wyngarde is actually a serious actor though he did a lot of TV work in the 60s and 70s appearing on such shows as "The Avengers" and "The Saint" before landing starring parts in "Department S" and "Jason King," which gave him a strong female following.

He also played Peter the Painter in "The Siege Of Sidney Street."

Comment

[QUOTE=Robert;209840]Hi Chris

"...he did a lot of TV work in the 60s and 70s appearing on such shows as "The Avengers"...
                              QUOTE]

I actually remember this guy. He played in the Avengers episode,'A touch of Brimstone' and was the head of the Hellfire Club. Something special about him. A dashing sort of man. One of my favorite episodes, and now I know more about him, he certainly is interesting.

Those old tv shows of the 60s, I think the new shows really don't compare. The time was something a little special.

Comment

Yes Beowulf, those old shows had style, imagination, and downright weirdness. Great stuff.

Peter Wyngarde was also in the Avengers episode called Epic, which is available on you tube too.

Comment

Working...
                                X