Scottish Referendum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert View Post
    I would say it would only do harm if certain Scots, dissatisfied with the partition, decided to regain the lands by bombing the sh*t out of the inhabitants.

The partition of India and Pakistan was very wise. I believe millions of Moslems and Hindus actually walked from one country to another. If people don't get on, then keep them apart.
    I'm surprised at you using bad language, Robert.
    The majority of the people of Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry, and Armagh would gladly vote to leave the UK tomorrow if given the opportunity.
    Gandhi saw the English idea to partition India as a typical imperialist step to divide people along religious lines. It harmed the people of modern-day Bangladesh and created enemies of Indians and the artificial creation of Pakistan with ensuing war and terrorism.
    The English creation of a Jewish state in Palestinian territory did the same.

Let us hope cooler Scottish reason will stymie the English this time 'round.

Comment

Queen Anne

Hello Robert, Heinrich. The whole concept of a United Kingdom is that it be, well, united.

As PM Blair used to put it, the English and the Scots are so much alike.

Why undo over 300 years of union?

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Hi Heinrich

No, I used an asterisk.

I am all for people choosing which nation to belong to, whether it's Ireland or India or anywhere else. The only exception would be if you had an area slap bang in the middle of a country, and that area wanted to secede. We can't have any "Passport To Pimlico" scenarios.

I don't think you can blame the British for the animosity between Hindus and Moslems. That was going to happen anyway.

As for the Middle East, nobody is going to solve that one for the simple reason that there is no solution short of genocide by one side or the other.

Comment

Hi Lynn

Yes, well I hope that the Union continues, but that's another way of saying that I hope the Scots want the Union to continue. If it turns out there's a 51%-49% majority for staying, then there might as well be an independent Scotland immediately because obviously that's the way the tide would be going.

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
            Hello Robert, Heinrich. The whole concept of a United Kingdom is that it be, well, united.
            As PM Blair used to put it, the English and the Scots are so much alike.
            Why undo over 300 years of union?
            LC, democracy relies on a social compact where the governed consent to government. Scotland was invaded and annexed by England by force of arms some time ago. The right of self determination of people began to be recognized in the last century but at a bloody cost. I have confidence that the Scots will be altogether civilized in their aspiration to join the community of independent nations and I suspect the English ruling class have learned a sense of shame in the meantime, enough to honor the views of a proud and cultured Scottish people.

Comment

... I am all for people choosing which nation to belong to, whether it's Ireland or India or anywhere else.
              Same here.

I don't think you can blame the British for the animosity between Hindus and Moslems. That was going to happen anyway.
              I see it differently. It would have been better for India to remain united instead of the creation of a Muslim state which is now corrupt and armed with weapons of mass destruction.

As for the Middle East, nobody is going to solve that one for the simple reason that there is no solution short of genocide by one side or the other.
              The creation by the English of a Jewish state was short-sighted and has led to the persecution and humiliation of the Palestinian people. The only solution to the mess is for Israel to recognize a Palestinian state based on 1968 borders.

There will be plenty of jokes about the Scottish Referendum but, truly, it is no laughing matter. The people of Scotland are answerable to no one.

Comment

Heinrich, that is precisely the question which will be put in the next couple of years : are the people of Scotland answerable to no one (independent) or are they a part of the UK? It is for them to decide.

BTW, if I didn't think that the Scots were proud and cultured, I wouldn't want to be associated with them.

On a broader note, I like your predilection for nationalisms of one kind or another. The world needs more nationalism, not internationalism.

Comment

... On a broader note, I like your predilection for nationalisms of one kind or another. The world needs more nationalism, not internationalism.
                  Stop trying to goad me, Robert.

Comment

Oh, you've spoilt it now.

Comment

Who get the nukes?
                      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Heinrich View Post
                        LC, democracy relies on a social compact where the governed consent to government. Scotland was invaded and annexed by England by force of arms some time ago. The right of self determination of people began to be recognized in the last century but at a bloody cost. I have confidence that the Scots will be altogether civilized in their aspiration to join the community of independent nations and I suspect the English ruling class have learned a sense of shame in the meantime, enough to honor the views of a proud and cultured Scottish people.

Do you know the first thing about Scottish history?

Comment

Originally posted by jason_c View Post
                          Do you know the first thing about Scottish history?
                          More importantly, a glorious page of Scottish history is about to be written.

Comment

Originally posted by Heinrich View Post
                            Same here.

I see it differently. It would have been better for India to remain united instead of the creation of a Muslim state which is now corrupt and armed with weapons of mass destruction.

The creation by the English of a Jewish state was short-sighted and has led to the persecution and humiliation of the Palestinian people. The only solution to the mess is for Israel to recognize a Palestinian state based on 1968 borders.

There will be plenty of jokes about the Scottish Referendum but, truly, it is no laughing matter. The people of Scotland are answerable to no one.
                            I agree with almost all of these points - except that it was not exculsively 'the English' who created the Jewish state in Israel.

In my view, the Scots have a right to decide whether to become a separate state. However, what would happen if those who do not want this, move south into Englnad, leaving too few people to support such a state? How will they raise sufficient funds to thrive?

Comment

I'm against all of it, every bit, whatever it may be.

Mike
                              huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                                In my view, the Scots have a right to decide whether to become a separate state.
                                My wish too, since this independence would be in all friendship with their neighbours and inside Europe.

Now, how would they decide this - or not ? Would the vote be fair ?

If I take the case of Corsica, France government is just unfair : everybody living in Corsica has the right to vote, but since France has intensively colonized the island, there are only 33 percents of Corsicans living there.
                                If only Corsicans had the right to vote, including those living in France, Corsica would be independent already.

Comment

Working...
                                X