Scottish Referendum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Referendum

As a non-Scot, I am very disturbed by the number of people in the rest of the UK who say that the whole of the UK should vote in the Scottish independence referendum, whenever it takes place. The reason given is that the issue affects the whole of the UK. Well yes, it does affect the whole of the UK, but that's tough. If the Scots want to form their own country, they should be allowed to do so. This is simple democracy.

The only thing that can be said on the other side, is that the rest of the UK should be able, not to block Scottish independence, but to decide whether they want to be in the same political unit as the Scots. It takes two "yeses" to make a marriage.

So, if the Scots want to carry on being with us, and we want to carry on being with them, then that's fine. But if either side says no, then we go our separate ways.

Hi Robert, before I give my opinion, I need to know if they really eat fried Mars.

Comment

Oh yes, David :

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
        Hi Robert, before I give my opinion, I need to know if they really eat fried Mars.
        Hello DVV,

Yes, they do. It is dipped in batter first and then fried VERY QUICKLY (for obvious reasons!). Ah, I'm anticipating one more question from you and the answer is 'Yes'. The paper wrapping is always removed first before dipping the Mars bar in the batter.

Apparently it tastes wonderful!

Carol
        Last edited by Carol; 01-16-2012, 07:55 PM. Reason: Another spelling mistake. I'm really losing it!

Comment

Independence, then. As in the case of the Corsican cheese with worns.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
            As a non-Scot, I am very disturbed by the number of people in the rest of the UK who say that the whole of the UK should vote in the Scottish independence referendum, whenever it takes place. The reason given is that the issue affects the whole of the UK. Well yes, it does affect the whole of the UK, but that's tough. If the Scots want to form their own country, they should be allowed to do so. This is simple democracy.

The only thing that can be said on the other side, is that the rest of the UK should be able, not to block Scottish independence, but to decide whether they want to be in the same political unit as the Scots. It takes two "yeses" to make a marriage.

So, if the Scots want to carry on being with us, and we want to carry on being with them, then that's fine. But if either side says no, then we go our separate ways.
            Hi Robert,

I've always looked on the United Kingdom as four separate countries in an alliance for the greatest good of all of us. I'm English and an expat and I think it would be very sad if we went our separate ways. However, having said that I agree with you that the Scottish have right on their side if they wish to leave. I also agree that only they can decide this.

Carol
            Last edited by Carol; 01-16-2012, 07:53 PM. Reason: I forgot the last sentence!

Comment

Hi Carol

Originally posted by Carol View Post
              Apparently it tastes wonderful!
              Carol
              It's a matter of millésime I guess, but oil is certainly important too ("the older the better", as they say in Gaelic when it comes to oil).

Well, I'd say malt is still my best reason for travelling there.

Can't believe the best blood of the Highlands, as put by Stevenson, fell at Culloden for fried Mars. Gonna fry a bagpipe in retaliation.

Comment

I believe fried butter is another delicacy.

Comment

Indeed, Robert, I just can call it an entremets.

Comment

Elder brothers.

Hello Robert. But if the Scots leave, who should keep the English in line? (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

We'll be doomed! Doomed!

Comment

The English have come a long way in less than a century when it comes to recognizing the rights of others to self-determination. When most of the Irish voted to leave the UK in 1918, the London government sent troops to garrison the island augmented by an auxiliary division of largely ex-WWI veterans who soon made a reputation for themselves for the manner in which they terrorized the civilian population. I cannot foresee those who gained experienced in Basra being sent to Glasgow. Perhaps, when Cameron meets Salmond at Downing Street, he will offer recognition of a Scottish Free State on condition that the three counties of Dumfriesshire, Lanarkshire, and Peebleshire remain within the United Kingdom of England and Wales, Northern Ireland and Southern Scotland.

Comment

But Heinrich, if those counties wanted to stay in the UK, why not? Why force them into Scotland?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            But Heinrich, if those counties wanted to stay in the UK, why not? Why force them into Scotland?
                            Those counties are already in Scotland. Partition did only harm in Ireland and would fester for a century if allowed to infect Scotland. The partition of India did no good either and the people Palestine continue to pay the price for this English device.
                            Last edited by Heinrich; 01-16-2012, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I would say it would only do harm if certain Scots, dissatisfied with the partition, decided to regain the lands by bombing the sh*t out of the inhabitants.

The partition of India and Pakistan was very wise. I believe millions of Moslems and Hindus actually walked from one country to another. If people don't get on, then keep them apart.

Comment

Working...
                              X