Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone good at languages recognise this word?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The site keeps shutting me down.

Toda em also comes up on Spanish sites. One phrase was: "Consegui esta legenda em minha procura porém ela é toda em inglęs," ...from a website.

Is Todaem supposed to be a name?
    Last edited by Celesta; 04-25-2010, 09:14 PM.
    "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Hi all,
      Thanks for all the help with this, much appreciated.
      All I can say about the context the word appears in is that it is in a sentence witten in English and the word Todaem appears midway through the sentence and is written with a capital 'T' as proper noun and followed by a surname.
      That is why I was hoping someone would recognise it as a forename, I see now it makes no sense if it is anything else and would therefore most likely be a mis-hearing of another word...it may even be a mis-hearing of some other forename.
      Thanks for thinking to check familysearch, Ali, Ancestry brings the same results...zilch!

Btw, welcome to the boards MJB

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post
        It could also be a Scandinavian name I thought it looked Norwegian at first. Glenn might know.
        No, Brenda, it's not Scandinavian. Sorry.
        The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

I did find it but not as a name.

p. 66 in this book: http://books.google.com/books?id=djQ...Todaem&f=false

Surely, not what you're looking for. Sorry, Deb.
          "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson View Post
            No, Brenda, it's not Scandinavian. Sorry.
            Thanks for confirming that, Glenn

Thanks Celesta, not what I'm looking for, no, but thanks very much for trying. It would have been great if someone had recognised it as name but it looks like it's not to be, unfortunately.

Thanks again to everyone who had a go at helping out with my little query.

Debs

Comment

It's an Old English (OE) word meaning "to that" or "so that" or "that" as in...His wife urged that he seek medical help.

Here it is in an OE context..

"The Blickling Homilies, which date from the end of the tenth century, are one of the earliest extant collections of English vernacular homiletic writings. The homiletic texts survive in a composite codex consisting of Municipal Entries for the Council of Lincoln (fourteenth to seventeenth century), a Calendar (mid-fifteenth century), Gospel Oaths (early fourteenth century) and the eighteen homiletic texts that are based on the annual liturgical cycle. The Blickling Homilies are an important literary milestone in the early evolution of English prose." "The manuscript, in the William H. Scheide collection which is housed in Princeton University Library (MS. 71, s.x/xi), was edited in facsimile by Rudolph Willard and published as Volume 10 of Early English Manuscripts in Facsimile (Copenhagen, 1960). The previous edition of The Blickling Homilies is by Richard Morris, published as three volumes in 1874, 1876 and 1880 (reprinted as one volume in 1967) by the Early English Texts Society (London), though individual items from the collection have also been published in readers and anthologies." "This new edition makes certain corrections to Morris's editing of the manuscript and the translations are modernized and made more exact. It also formats both the original text and facing-page translation into paragraphs based on the considered opinion of the editor, which makes it easier to comprehend the flow of the prose. Finally, the text and translation are accompanied with a general introduction, textual notes, tables and charts, select bibliography and index."--BOOK JACKET.Title Summary field provided by Blackwell North America, Inc. All Rights Reserved
              Last edited by cappuccina; 04-26-2010, 01:07 AM.
              Cheers,
              cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

Originally posted by cappuccina View Post
                It's an Old English (OE) word meaning "to that" or "so that" or "that" as in...His wife urged that he seek medical help.

Here it is in an OE context..

http://books.google.com/books?id=MwG...d=0CB8Q6AEwBw#
                Hi Cappuccina,

This sounds great, but it doesn't seem to fit the context clues Debs provided; also, Google will read an Old English letter eth as a modern English d, but I'm not sure that that would be the best phonic transliteration. I'm at the threshold of my understanding with this one, though. I'd be guessing at some sort of journalistic mishearing, particularly if the surname which follows it in the sentence is an "exotic" one.]

Regards,

Mark

Comment

I came across what looks like a name, but the sites are generally in languages I don't speak so I can't say for sure. I'm leery of some sites for security reasons.

Comment

Thank you Debra for the welcoming!

MJB

Comment

Originally posted by m_w_r View Post
                      Hi Cappuccina,

This sounds great, but it doesn't seem to fit the context clues Debs provided; also, Google will read an Old English letter eth as a modern English d, but I'm not sure that that would be the best phonic transliteration. I'm at the threshold of my understanding with this one, though. I'd be guessing at some sort of journalistic mishearing, particularly if the surname which follows it in the sentence is an "exotic" one.]

Regards,

Mark
                      Hi Mark,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. The frustrating thing is the newspaper article this comes from is a report of a court appearance of someone I am researching and the surname given is spot on. This particular person used many aliases but his real identity is not certain, that's why I got a little excited by this report thinking his birth name may have been given, at least in part. I think a journalistic mishearing is the most likely explanation.

Thanks Caps and Celesta, I have the same problem as you Celesta when looking for it as a name on the web.

Comment

I think it means 'today' in the dative case.

Mike
                        huh?

Comment

Working...
                        X