Gout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gout

Been to the doctor's today with a case of acute gout. I always take a book with me when I anticipate a wait anywhere and on this occasion, I grabbed a biography of Laurel and Hardy. It only struck me afterwards that there could have been no more fitting tome. Luckily, the physician in question did not recommend that I travel home in a Model T Ford with my foot sticking out of the side in a comedy bandage. The medication seems to be working but I have developed a bizarre hankering for hard boiled eggs and nuts.

Have any other Casebookers had a similar experience?

Regards,

Steve.

Gout

Yes I have. When I first had gout I was in the forces and a bit embarrising it was too. I was told that I would have to be on medication permanently, however first of all I wear a copper bracelet, and if I do get an attack I take celery seed tablets, they usually clear it up in two days.

I'm always a bit reluctant to take any medication unless I really have to ( prescribed medication that it) as I think the less chemicals you have in your system, the better!

For all you non sufferers I once broke some bones in my foot and I can assure you the gout was far more painful!

Comment

Thanks for the tips, Bob. Luckily, I've never had it in both feet at the same time. That would be a nightmare, wouldn't it? Diclofenac is doing the trick for me at the moment.

Whenever I have an attack, it reminds me how lucky we are to be able to get around for ninety-nine percent of the time without being in absolute agony. Not having to climb the stairs on one foot, two hands, and one knee whilst yelping like Tom from Tom and Jerry is a real joy.

Best wishes,

Steve.

Comment

Hi Steven.

I used to suffer from gout something wicked. Apparently my body is a uric-acid producing dynamo! And unfortunately I dont' react very well to indomethacine.

Here's some advice I can offer to lessen the attacks without drugs:

LOTS of water! Keep those kidneys flushed and get rid of the uric acid before it crystallizes in your joints.

Don't eat luncheon meats or sausages--they contain nitrates which boost your UA big time.

And the biggest advice of all--cherry juice. I drink 4 oz of cherry juice every morning and I haven't had a serious gout attack in about 3 years.
        “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Thanks for the advice, Magpie.

Best wishes,

Steve.

Comment

Now, about Jack the Ripper's gout...it was from alcoholism and too many tomatoes and peppers -- not enough parsnips.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
              Now, about Jack the Ripper's gout...it was from alcoholism and too many tomatoes and peppers -- not enough parsnips.
              I seriously doubt that JTR suffered from gout. It would have taken him about three days to get from Mitre Square to Goulston Street and his screams would surely have attracted attention.

Wait a minute, though... Kidneys can be a major trigger and if the Lusk Letter is genuine, this could explain the length of time between the double event and the Kelly murder: he was unable to get around for that time and the severity of the mutilations in the Kelly case reflects his relief at his newly found mobility. He may even have sought and received treatment in the interim which opens up a whole new avenue of research. Hmm.

Best wishes,

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
                Don't eat luncheon meats or sausages--they contain nitrates which boost your UA big time.

Sorry, I meant oxalates, not nitrates.
                “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Working...
                X