Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holmes Vs Ripper... Which should I read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holmes Vs Ripper... Which should I read?

First of all, I'm new to this site, so excuse me if I have put this topic in the wrong place, or if it replicates topics I have not amanged to find.

Okay, so I like Sherlock Holmes, and I have an interest in the Ripper. And I know that the two have been pitted against each other numerous times in fiction of all kinds. But if I wanted to read one Holmes Vs Ripper book or comic book, or watch / listen to one play radio drama or tv show, which should I go for?

And why?

Er, cheers in advance for any suggestions.
    There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Murder By Decree A good film

Comment

This is a fairly recent book, TomTom, but it's one of the best:

Comment

TomTom,

Forget reading!! Buy the PC Game "Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack The Ripper." It is well worth it. It contains the features of the Ripper crimes and classic Holmesian characteristics
        I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Originally posted by JTRSickert View Post
          TomTom,

Forget reading!! Buy the PC Game "Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack The Ripper." It is well worth it. It contains the features of the Ripper crimes and classic Holmesian characteristics
          Is it easier then Sherlock Holmes and the Pearl Earing? As each time I load it my laptop gets ready to flinch when I smack the table in frustration.

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. I am looking into them. I am also eagerly awaiting the next Holmes audio project from Big Finish which looks like it is Ripper Orientated.

Comment

Dust and Shadows is pretty good, but try Ellery Queen's A Study in Terror and, my favorite, The WhiteChapel Horrors by Edward B. Hanna. Also, you can rent "A Study in Terror" and "Murder by Decree" at the video store.

The only thing that I didn't like about the books is that they are from "the papers of Dr. John Watson," which means there is a lot of exposition and no "real time" action, And Watson and Scotland Yard are always portrayed as being dumb.

Comment

There is a good French short story also (about 50 pages long)...unfortunately it's in French...
              It was first published in 1908 and reproduced in Bourgoin's "Le Livre Rouge de Jack l'Eventreur" (1998).
              At the end Holmes and Warren drink champagne together.

Comment

Grave Maurice, I'm glad to hear that about Shadows & Dust. I had started it, but put it aside because it seemed a little dry. I'll give it a second chance.

Gman, I've seen the Ellery Queen book on ebay and kind of scratched my head at Ellery Queen and the Ripper. Maybe I'll give it a chance, then.
                "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

They lack the Ripper, but I just purchased a couple of the Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes line from Titan. Holmes battling ancient Egyptian evil, and proving that Harry Houdini is not a spy, should be great holiday reading. Just a shame they didn't have the one with Theodore Roosevelt in stock...

Comment

Hi TT

Oooooooh dear....

If you must go down this SH/JTR route- 'Murder by Decree' is the way to go
                    The only way to go!!
                    Suzi
                    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                      There is a good French short story also (about 50 pages long)...unfortunately it's in French...
                      It was first published in 1908 and reproduced in Bourgoin's "Le Livre Rouge de Jack l'Eventreur" (1998).
                      At the end Holmes and Warren drink champagne together.
                      Oooooh no no no please!!!!!!! That wouldn't work!
                      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Just downloaded the latest episode of the Big Finish Audio series of Holmes plays. Was good, but yet another retread of the Royal Conspiracy (although I liked how some minor details of the case seemed to have been altered by Holmes going around sticking his nose in, yeah we will assume that is right and not holes in the research...)

Personally I was hoping they would go down the Holmes is the Ripper route, but that would be no less cliched or hackneyed frankly.

Nicholas Briggs (voice of daleks) was a mediocre Holmes in the play.

Comment

Personally I was hoping they would go down the Holmes is the Ripper route, but that would be no less cliched or hackneyed frankly.
                          As a distinguished (or should that be extinguished?) Holmesian scholar, I can assure you that Sherlock's movements on all the Ripper murder-nights are accounted for.

Regards,

Graham
                          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Graham,

That's only what Watson said.

Mike
                            huh?

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                              Graham,

That's only what Watson said.

Mike
                              And he has proven himself to be willing to bend the truth on occassions, altering names and dates to protect vulnerable parties. If his best friend were some what ill, he would be considered vulnerable. Let's face it Holmes already shows signs of bi-polar mood swings with out the help of his chemical addictions.

Comment

Working...
                              X