No announcement yet.

Illogical Lyrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In "High Noon" the singer says that he must face a man who hates him, or lie a craven coward in his grave. But surely the idea of being a coward is, if you run away you survive. So where does the grave come in?

In "Friendly Persuasion" the singer asks his beloved to put on her bonnet, her cape and her glove. So is this a one-armed woman?

Comment

Witches Brew-Janie Jones gets an honoury mention but

"Ob la di ob la da "-

Desmond has a barrow in the market place
      Buys a 20 carat golden ring

Umm... Diamonds are measured in carats aren't they?
      And unless I am mistaken, that giant stone Liz Taylor got from Richard Burton, was way less than that..4...6 carats?

Talk about wearing a rock! 20 carats indeed
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
      Accountability? ....

Comment

Although I love this song... Blue Guitar by Justin Hayward and John Lodge is pretty far out there man....

If you dont know the song
        If you can't put the words to the tune
        Tell the rhyme from the reason
        What should it matter
        To the fool
        Or the dreamer

now that is one cosmic trip... lol
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
          "Space Oddity" has some very strange lyrics. To start with, Ground Control seems to begin the countdown about 5 seconds after the astronaut does. Then, Major Tom steps through the door and leaves his capsule - and yet he is sitting in a tin can! I'm not too happy with the end, either. He's floating far above the moon, yet he says he's passed 100,000 miles - which isn't even half way to the moon. It would be more logical to say that he was still floating far above the world.

"...and I'm floating in a most peculiar way..."

is there a normal way to float in space?
          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

He should have been floating in the approved military manner, Phil.

CPL JONES : You heard what the officer said. On the command : float.
            The men are now floating, sir.

Going back to "Friendly Persuasion," I don't think it could have been a one-armed woman, as a one-armed woman would have considerable difficulty putting on her glove.

Comment

In Everyone's gone to the Moon it states "long time ago, life had begun, everyone went to the sun". Well, for a start, everyone knows you can't go to the sun but even if you could, would you do it so soon after life as you know it had 'begun' or would you wait around a bit to see if life was worth living right where you are?

Later, a verse describes arms that can only lift a spoon - arms? no hands? Hands would have scanned a well as arms so why use that word?

Oh well, this is Jonathan King we're talking about. Nuff said.

Comment

Limehouse, Lindisfarne's "Lady Eleanor" reminds me a bit of the Joseph song you mentioned.

First, Lady Eleanor walks in. Then she ties the singer's eyes with ribbons, and he gazes with troubled vision on an old four poster bed. No wonder the vision is troubled - he's blindfolded. But Eleanor has risen from this bed and now kisses his neck vampire-style. So she's come in, laid down, and got up again. She can't keep still, can she?

Comment

Limehouse, Lindisfarne's "Lady Eleanor" reminds me a bit of the Joseph song you mentioned.

First, Lady Eleanor walks in. Then she ties the singer's eyes with ribbons, and he gazes with troubled vision on an old four poster bed. No wonder the vision is troubled - he's blindfolded. But Eleanor has risen from this bed and now kisses his neck vampire-style. So she's come in, laid down, and got up again. She can't keep still, can she?
                  And then she is told it's alright...!
                  Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

In Abba's "Fernando" the popular Swedish group (...oooh Agnetha...mmm) sorry, I digress..

...they managed to sing a line in poor English..

"....since many years I haven't seen a rifle in your hand"

Could this be the first example of a No.1 hit song in England with poor grammatical content I wonder?

Limehouse, King had so many aliases as a recording artist he could have been JTR!

best wishes

Phil
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                      Witches Brew-Janie Jones gets an honoury mention but

"Ob la di ob la da "-

Desmond has a barrow in the market place
                      Buys a 20 carat golden ring

Umm... Diamonds are measured in carats aren't they?
                      And unless I am mistaken, that giant stone Liz Taylor got from Richard Burton, was way less than that..4...6 carats?

Talk about wearing a rock! 20 carats indeed
                      Maybe Desmond got it right ...
                      if no mention of diamonds, gold is measured in carats also.
                      24 carat (999) is almost pure gold,
                      22 carat and 20 carat .. they make jewellery, indian fine
                      jewellery, very 'golden' in colour but very soft, because of
                      the purity.
                      Usually most people have 18 carat (750), because it is stronger.
                      "Victoria Victoria, the queen of them all,
                      of Sir Jack she knows nothing at all"

Comment

The champion of illogical lyrics has to be the group "America" From "The Tinman"....Oz never did give nothing to the tinman that he did'nt already have, and Cause never was the reason for the evening or the tropic of Sir Galahad.

Comment

I must admit I always liked that song, but then, set against what it was competing with at the time (Gary Glitter and the like) i suppose I had good taste! Didn't really pay much attention to the lyrics!

Comment

[QUOTE=Phil Carter;

Limehouse, King had so many aliases as a recording artist he could have been JTR!

best wishes

Phil[/QUOTE]

Yes, I remember some of them! The Piglets and Johnny Reggae (lay it on me!!) and a revolting single called Loop Di Love (I think) with the legend I saw you walking down our street, your hair was hanging at your feet.

Yes, he could well have been JtR - or perhaps the Stripper!

Comment

"If I were a sculptor - but then again no"

What's that all about??

Love,

Caz
                              X
                              "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

For anyone who was wondering where the singer's neck was, the song helpfully tells us that Eleanor had risen to kiss the neck below his head. I'm assuming he only had one neck, so this I think nails it : his neck was below his head. A place for everything, and everything in its place.

Comment

Working...
                                X