Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comment from the Police Report 19th September.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment from the Police Report 19th September.

While researching Bucks Row, I turned up the following statement in the Police report of the 19th September:

“Bucks Row is a narrow quiet thoroughfare frequented*by prostitutes for immoral purposes at night and no doubt the yard of 29 Hanbury Street has been used for a similar purpose.”

Is anyone aware of any sources which back this up?
    Alternatively anyone care to comment?

Steve

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
    While researching Bucks Row, I turned up the following statement in the Police report of the 19th September:

“Bucks Row is a narrow quiet thoroughfare frequented*by prostitutes for immoral purposes at night and no doubt the yard of 29 Hanbury Street has been used for a similar purpose.”

Alternatively anyone care to comment?

Steve
    Nice find el. Backs up that Polly was actively solicitating and may have come upon her punter/the ripper somewhere else and led him there.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      Nice find el. Backs up that Polly was actively solicitating and may have come upon her punter/the ripper somewhere else and led him there.
      yes Abby, if true it opens up several possabiities.

Steve

Comment

Interesting find Steve. I don't recall specifically where I got the impression from but I was always of the opinion that Bucks Row wasn't known as an area for soliciting? If it was just a newspaper report maybe it could be put down as a generalisation but you would assume that the police would know all the regular 'haunts?'
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
          Interesting find Steve. I don't recall specifically where I got the impression from but I was always of the opinion that Bucks Row wasn't known as an area for soliciting? If it was just a newspaper report maybe it could be put down as a generalisation but you would assume that the police would know all the regular 'haunts?'
          Well, we have residents like Mrs Green attempting to paint a picture of utter respectability, its in the section on her in the Project part 2, and this statement was in the police section.

I have to admit, I was always under the impression it was not that type of Road, but when ones considers the comments of Paul, about the area being dangerous, one starts to wonder.
          I have searched all the press articles which I have posted and can find nothing to support this. However one assumes the Police would know.

The point is that being in an official report, not intended for public consumption, would the Police just include something which was gossip or speculation. it comes across as being very sure.
          However I would like something more than a single source, hence the thread, I don't have currently access to the online archives of the press, am hoping others who do may be able to help.

Steve

Comment

“Bucks Row is a narrow quiet thoroughfare frequented by prostitutes for immoral purposes at night and no doubt the yard of 29 Hanbury Street has been used for a similar purpose.”

The report was authored by Abberline himself.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              The report was authored by Abberline himself.
              with Swanson also listed, so one assumes he looked it over

Comment

with Swanson also listed, so one assumes he looked it over
                I think pretty much everything had to go through Swanson.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I'm fairly sure I read somewhere a while back that there were houses of ill repute (brothels) in Buck's Row. Not sure I'll remember where I saw it but will post again if I do. I've often thought that the murder of Polly had something to do with that.

Comment

Originally posted by MysterySinger View Post
                    I'm fairly sure I read somewhere a while back that there were houses of ill repute (brothels) in Buck's Row. Not sure I'll remember where I saw it but will post again if I do. I've often thought that the murder of Polly had something to do with that.
                    At the inquest one of the Jury made comments to Mrs Green suggesting there were several in Thomas Street

Steve

Comment

Of course, other newspapers wrote the opposite, claiming the area was respectable.

One specifically pointing to Winthrop Street as the more likely area for such activity and looking at the map it certainly seems a more likely area.
                      dustymiller
                      aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                        Of course, other newspapers wrote the opposite, claiming the area was respectable.

One specifically pointing to Winthrop Street as the more likely area for such activity and looking at the map it certainly seems a more likely area.

Hi Dusty

The difference is that this was from a police report, not a press report.

The press reports about Winthrop were probably written with the aim of attacking the Slaughter men. A few days after those reports there were articles countering them.
                        It's covered in the press section of Bucks Row Project Part 2.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X