Davy Jones R.i.P.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caz View Post
    After the second Wembley concert we went to the Hilton for a last drinkie-poo
    As one does.

Here's the Scotsman from the Holloway Road with someone else's group in 1969.....

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Félix Mayol has passed and nobody cares. Shame.

Comment

Wasn't Peter Wyngarde prosecuted (back in the seventies or eighties) for indecent behaviour in a mens' public toilet?
        This is simply my opinion

Comment

Yes Louisa, and fined, which rather spoilt his ladies' man image.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
            As one does.

Here's the Scotsman from the Holloway Road with someone else's group in 1969.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B9ht...eature=related
            Bloody fantastic - one of my favourite tracks ever. Thanks Stephen.

Love,

Caz
            X
            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

I always found those lyrics a bit melodramatic, but the song does have a certain atmosphere. I think it was re-released to cash in on Rod's success, as it reached the charts autumn 1972.

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                Hi Julie,

I saw Rod in concert three times - with another friend - at Wembley and Brighton. After the second Wembley concert we went to the Hilton for a last drinkie-poo before braving the tube home. We didn't know Rod would be there with his then fiancee Rachel Hunter. The barman tipped us off that the couple were about to leave the restaurant and that Rod would probably sign our tickets because I was his 'type' - ie blonde. They came out and Rod was clearly the worse for drink but he autographed our tickets and my friend was furious because I had the nerve to kiss him on the cheek! I did ask Rachel first. Then I stupidly left my precious ticket in the taxi from East Croydon but the driver found it for me the following morning and brought it round, so I still have it.

My Dad used to loathe the Stones. His favourites were Gilbert & Sullivan. When I annoyed him by playing 'The Last Time' over and over again, he said there was nothing wrong with Mick Jagger's voice that couldn't be put right with a good cut-throat razor.

My Mum must have had terrible taste in music, she loved Esther and Abi Ofarim's Cinderella Rockefella. Yet she was taught music at school by Gustav Holst so she had no excuse. Probably on a different planet.

Love,

Caz
                X
                Hi Caz,

I absolutely love the Stones 'The Last Time'. It's my favourite 'rock track' of theirs. Having a much older sister and brother, I lived and breathed the 60s music even though I was not a teenager until the 1970s. By then, my taste in music was vast and often quite strange but it did not extend to Cinderella Rockefella! Actually, Esther at least (and it may have been both of them) went on to record some quite political folk songs.

So your mum went to St Paul's Girls? I knew someone who won a scholarship to that school and she went on and on about Holst being there (even though he'd been at the school decades before she went there!) but she wasn't very impressed with my response that I had gone to the same Primary School as Johnny Dankworth and he had returned to the school when I was in my final year there and made a film for BBC!

Never saw Rod in concert. Never even got close. By the time I got to go to concerts, I was courting my husband and we saw mainly rock and punk bands like The Stranglers, Black Sabbath and some other really good stuff of various genres - but poor old Rod was in the wilderness a bit by then. He's made a terrific come back though and I love him doing old stuff like I'll be Seeing You but also his classics like Maggie May (in my opinion, one of the best 'pop' songs of all time).

Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

Yes, my Mum went to St Paul's. She was born in 1917 and the "gals" used to call Holst "Gussie".

I saw Black Sabbath at the Albert Hall in 1970, but to my shame I also saw Cliff Richard there the same year. Later in the 70s I saw Free and Mott the Hoople - both wonderful.

I didn't see Rod in concert until the late 80s/early 90s, so he had quite a back catalogue by then.

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                  X