Ripper Facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripper Facts

I thought it could be useful to identify what are the actual facts we know about the Ripper, as opposed to speculation.

While it could be argued that most of what we know about JTR is speculation, there are some aspects that are more factual than others.

The following is my start ...

Witness description. The consistent picture from more reliable witnesses is he was aged 25 - 35 y.o., about 5'7" tall, was English, appeared well educated, had a moustache and was stocky built.

Time of killings. He only killed on weekends in the early morning.

Had skill in cutting and anatomy. While it is contentious whether he was a doctor or butcher, one can say he was comfortable using a knife to cut flesh.

He was able to move around without being detected.

Dates are alingned with turmoil at Scotland Yard. The first Nicholls killing occurred when Monro resigned due to conflict with Warren. The final Kelly killing was the day after Warren resigned.

No killings in October.

Killings preceded by Torso murders, and body part thrown into Scotland Yard. While some debate whether the Torso a killer and Ripper were the same man, they both had the same impact of embarrassing Metropolitan Police.

Scotland Yard was unpopular. Warren was criticised for bringing in force to quell a protest the previous November. There was known tension within Scotland Yard and with City of London Police.

Items I have omitted as fact, which could be are :

Graffiti and apron

Letters - while most are considered a hoax, some believe the Lusk letter and kidney are genuine.

There is obviously so much speculation around the Ripper. I know I'd appreciate knowing what are the facts , and hope others may as well.

All the best

Craig

Originally posted by Craig H View Post

Time of killings. He only killed on weekends in the early morning.
    Polly Nichols was murdered on 31 Aug 1888, approx. 3:30 Friday morning.

Comment

I am not persuaded that any of the witnesses saw Jack.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Mary Kelly died on a Friday, we don't know what time in the morning. Admittedly it was a Bank Holiday long weekend but it's best to be accurate!

How do we know Jack was well educated? If you read the Lusk letter it seems to be the reverse, even leaving aside the GSG with its double negatives. Also, both Mrs Long and Hutch pointed, not too subtly, to the person they saw being a foreigner (read Jew.) Whether either of these witnesses are reliable depends on your point of view, I guess.

Comment

The skill level is far from a cert. Depends on who you believe I guess.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

The only known facts about the killer are that he:
            a) was at the murder sites when the murders were committed and
            b) carried a knife, which he used with great violence to inflict the recorded injuries.

The official witness statements, those recorded at the inquest or given to the police, are facts in so much as they represent what the witness said. The accuracy or truth of those statements is open to debate.

Other facts about the crimes, but not necessarily the killer, are:
            1. A witness said that Annie Chapman was wearing two rings on the night of her death. Neither ring was found after the murder.
            2. A piece of bloodstained apron belonging to Catherine Eddowes was found in Goulston Street, below a piece of graffiti.

Comment

Hi GUT

I previously posted a summary I'd found of witness statements at
              Discussion of the numerous "witnesses" who gave their testimony either to the press or the police during the murder spree.

Lawrende saw Eddowes with a man (who seemed to be a client) 10 minutes before she was found dead. Major Henry Smith believed he was a credible witness. Robert Anderson said Lawende was the only man who saw the killer.

PC William Smith described a man (client ?) with Stride 10 minutes before she died.

My u der standing us these two are regarded as most credible witnesses.

Craig

Comment

Thanks Paul .... I'd. Forgotten about the missing rings...

craig

Originally posted by PaulWilliams View Post
                The only known facts about the killer are that he:
                a) was at the murder sites when the murders were committed and
                b) carried a knife, which he used with great violence to inflict the recorded injuries.

The official witness statements, those recorded at the inquest or given to the police, are facts in so much as they represent what the witness said. The accuracy or truth of those statements is open to debate.

Other facts about the crimes, but not necessarily the killer, are:
                1. A witness said that Annie Chapman was wearing two rings on the night of her death. Neither ring was found after the murder.
                2. A piece of bloodstained apron belonging to Catherine Eddowes was found in Goulston Street, below a piece of graffiti.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig H View Post
                  Hi GUT

I previously posted a summary I'd found of witness statements at
                  Discussion of the numerous "witnesses" who gave their testimony either to the press or the police during the murder spree.

Lawrende saw Eddowes with a man (who seemed to be a client) 10 minutes before she was found dead. Major Henry Smith believed he was a credible witness. Robert Anderson said Lawende was the only man who saw the killer.

PC William Smith described a man (client ?) with Stride 10 minutes before she died.

My u der standing us these two are regarded as most credible witnesses.

Craig
                  I'd agree with that, I just am yet to be persuaded that the man she was seen with was JTR.
                  G U T

Comment

We don't know for sure if anyone saw the killer. Did Anderson, or anyone, name Lawende as the person who saw the killer or are we surmising? Also, why leave out the apron? I think it is a fact that a piece of Eddowes apron was found at Goulston Street.
                    Last edited by MysterySinger; 05-08-2016, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                      The skill level is far from a cert. Depends on who you believe I guess.
                      Hi GUT

Guess that also depends on if you are talking about skill with a knife or surgical skill.

I think it is obvious that the killer had skills using a knife.

Maybe from a trade such as leather work or butchering, or from so called sports such as hunting.

That is completely different from surgical skill, which as you say depends on who you care to believe

Steve

Comment

While Friday may not technically be part of the weekend don't overlook the fact that many do refer to Friday when talking about the weekend.
                        Example

You are travelling on a Friday but say going away at weekend.

So I understand why Craig said weekend, but agree it's not really accurate.

Steve

Comment

It was believed that they were all prostitutes.

Comment

All had their neck cut.

Comment

Hi Craig H,
                              Why is the apron not a fact, please?
                              Regards
                              Albert

Comment

Working...
                              X