This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Steve,

I think 99.99% of the population if they were libelled in such a way (and were completely innocent of any murder charge) would move heaven and earth to ensure that the parties blackening their name were sued for libel. What would you do for example had you been placed in such a situation and knew you were innocent ?

Comment

• Hi jimarilyn

Money talks and justice had been done. If he behaved cleverly Alphon could earn good money from the A6 murder and not face any criminal charge. Also, he was on reasonably good terms (some of the time) with those he would have been suing.

KR
      Steve

Comment

• Hi Steve,

I can only say that if it were me in Alphon's position (assuming innocence on his part) I would sue the A6 Committee not for monetary reward but simply because it would be the right and proper thing to do. I think the only justice that was done was Jean. I can think of only one reason why Alphon never pursued any legal action against the A6 Committee.

Comment

• Hi jimarilyn

I do understand your viewpoint on this.

KR
          Steve

Comment

• I'm not a lawyer, I know very little about the laws of libel, but I have a feeling that once the law has found a person guilty of a crime then anyone accusing any other person of committing that particular crime cannot be charged with libel. It's something to do with the infallibility (!) of the law. I can't be 100% certain, but I think that any damages Alphon received were not because of his being accused of the A6 Case but for other libels in the press such as the Dalal assault.

Probably the best Alphon could have done against the A6 Committee would be defamation of character. But there really was no reason for him to do so, as he was living the high life courtesy of Justice and Fox. It probably didn't bother him too much that placards bearing his photo accused him of being a murderer.

Cheers,

Graham
            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Speakers' Corner

Greetings one and all

Although not totally impossible, it isn’t straightforward to bring litigation in respect to anything that happens at Speakers’ Corner.

Peter

Comment

• Hi Peter

Welcome back to this thread, your input is valued. Are you by any chance speaking from personal experience regarding this matter ?

Comment

• Back in the good ole heady days of CND, various orators at Speakers Corner, including Cannon Collins, would go to extraordinary lengths to accuse various public figures of anything from the Betrayal of Christ to World War 2, but I don't think anyone was ever done for libel (or slander). Just as it's not possible to be accused of libel for anything said in either House of Parliament (known as Parliamentary Privilege) I wonder if the powers-that-be look upon Speakers Corner as being something in the same vein.

I have a (very) vague memory that Richard Ingram, former editor of Private Eye which was regularly faced with libel actions, once said that had he shouted through a megaphone at Speakers Corner what he committed to print in Private Eye, he'd never have been sued. Or something like that.

Cheers,

Graham
                  We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Hi ,
                    Get real Guys,
                    P.L.A. is not Alphon, or my name is not Nunners.
                    I have only managed to work out the intriquing world of computers in the last few years, and I am not of the same age as the real Alphon, who I am not certain is still with us in life anyway?.
                    That guy was a Con Man'.
                    Now.
                    If our message board included a VS post then I might at least feel different, even tho. that would also be a 'No Go'
                    Regards Richard.

Comment

• Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
                      Hi ,
                      Get real Guys,
                      P.L.A. is not Alphon, or my name is not Nunners.
                      I have only managed to work out the intriquing world of computers in the last few years, and I am not of the same age as the real Alphon, who I am not certain is still with us in life anyway?.
                      That guy was a Con Man'.
                      Now.
                      If our message board included a VS post then I might at least feel different, even tho. that would also be a 'No Go'
                      Regards Richard.
                      Nunners,

I don't think anyone is genuinely accepting that the poster "P.L.A." is Peter Louis Alphon, so untwist thy knickers!

According to Steve, who I think did actually track him down and tap his door a short time ago, the real Alphon is still with us. And as the 'real' Alphon was a master at terrorising people via the telephone, I'm pretty sure that he'd have had an absolute field-day with the internet.

Cheers,

Graham

Comment

• PLA still alive?

Hi All

Is Peter Louis Alphon still alive?
                        If so does anyone knwo where he lives?
                        I'm going to London ina couple of weeks like to see the guy.

tc

T

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
                          I don't think anyone is genuinely accepting that the poster "P.L.A." is Peter Louis Alphon
                          Using P.L.A. as a user name is very inventive and the whole thing is great fun. I have enjoyed the teasing, and even though the A6 murder is a very serious subject there is nothing wrong with having a bit of harmless fun.

It makes me wonder if 'Bob' from the old thread was using the name courtesy of Basil Montague, or even courtesy of Mr Woffinden.

Comment

• Hi Steve,

Yep, just a bit of fun, that's all!

Theodore is asking about the 'real' PLA's whereabouts. Was it here or on the old boards that you told how you'd tracked him down?

Cheers,

Graham

Comment

• Hi Graham

It was in a private message and not intended for public consumption!

KR
                              Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve View Post
                                Hi Graham

It was in a private message and not intended for public consumption!

KR
                                Steve
                                Steve,

Hey, I'm really sorry if I've embarrassed you over this. Lots of water gone under the bridge since then, and obviously my memory isn't what it used to be. Again, very sorry.

Cheers,

Graham

Comment

Working...
                                X