RIP Yogi!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Yogi!!

Sad news today as Lawrence Peter "Yogi" Berra passed away at the age of 90....

Yogi, one of the most beloved Yankees of all time, was a 3 time MVP of the league, was on 18 all-star teams, won 10 World Series, as a manager led both the Yankees and Mets to World Series appearances, was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame...and on top of all that, had a cartoon character named after him (yes Yogi Bear is named for him) was a WWII war hero who served in the US Navy on the USS Bayfield and was a gunner's mate on a craft in the D-Day invasion...

For those of you not in the U.S.A who may not know of Yogi, he is sometimes called the most quoted man in America.... known for his quirky way of speaking.. called "Yogisms" (there are several websites dedicated to these Yogisms if you want to look them up!!) and I would like to pay tribute to this American legend by quoting a Yogism... please feel free to respond with your favorite Yogisms as a tribute to this great man...

"Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't go to yours"

RIP Mr. Berra

with love and respect--- Steadmund Brand
    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
    Sad news today as Lawrence Peter "Yogi" Berra passed away at the age of 90....

Yogi, one of the most beloved Yankees of all time, was a 3 time MVP of the league, was on 18 all-star teams, won 10 World Series, as a manager led both the Yankees and Mets to World Series appearances, was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame...and on top of all that, had a cartoon character named after him (yes Yogi Bear is named for him) was a WWII war hero who served in the US Navy on the USS Bayfield and was a gunner's mate on a craft in the D-Day invasion...

For those of you not in the U.S.A who may not know of Yogi, he is sometimes called the most quoted man in America.... known for his quirky way of speaking.. called "Yogisms" (there are several websites dedicated to these Yogisms if you want to look them up!!) and I would like to pay tribute to this American legend by quoting a Yogism... please feel free to respond with your favorite Yogisms as a tribute to this great man...

"Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't go to yours"

RIP Mr. Berra

with love and respect--- Steadmund Brand
    Terribly sad news Steadmund. I think he was the last of the "golden age" Yankee champion players, being on their great teams of the 1950s with Mantle, Maris, Rizzuto, and the others, mostly under Casey Stengle. He was also a Yankee manager for awhile.

There was one of those "Aflack" Insurance ads about five years back that he appeared in. He's in a barber's chair and while talking to the barber (with the "Aflack" duck in the background quacking and listening) he dropped some "Yogisms". My favorite one was (in describing how fast your claim is settled by Aflack), "They pay you in cash, which is as good as money!"

Rest in peace Yogi.

Jeff

Comment

it's over.
      Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
      - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
        it's over.
        Perhaps he will find a fork in the road on the way to Heaven -- and get to TAKE it!
        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

RIP Yogi

A true American character.

Comment

An up-and-up classy guy. Even Cardinals fans loved and respected him.
            RIP Yogi.
            Best Wishes,
            Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Did the nick name come from the bear (sorry to be igorant)
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                Did the nick name come from the bear (sorry to be igorant)
                Hi Gut. Yogi Bear was actually named after Yogi Berra.

I love Yogi-isms. In her post above PC Dunn is referring to one of my favorites: “When you come to a fork in the road, take it.”
                (Sort of stands Robert Frost's 'The Road Less Traveled' on its head.)

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."

“The future ain’t what it used to be.”

“We were overwhelming underdogs.”

"It's not the heat, it's the humility."

A lot of people don't realize that Yogi took part in the Invasion of Normandy. He was 18 years old.
                Here's an interview w/ video: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/5210564/ns...rra-was-d-day/

They don't make 'em like that anymore.
                Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                  Hi Gut. Yogi Bear was actually named after Yogi Berra.

I love Yogi-isms. In her post above PC Dunn is referring to one of my favorites: “When you come to a fork in the road, take it.”
                  (Sort of stands Robert Frost's 'The Road Less Traveled' on its head.)

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."

“The future ain’t what it used to be.”

“We were overwhelming underdogs.”

"It's not the heat, it's the humility."

A lot of people don't realize that Yogi took part in the Invasion of Normandy. He was 18 years old.
                  Here's an interview w/ video: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/5210564/ns...rra-was-d-day/

They don't make 'em like that anymore.
                  Archaic
                  Thanks Archaic

I figured it was one or the other.

Can I ask (or do I need to go off googling) where the Yogi then came from as his nick name.

When I was a kid almost everyone I knew had a Nickname of some sort.

Currently chasing some nick names in my family tree.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I know nothing about his sport, but it's sad that a guy who can come out with these remarks is gone.

Comment

Here's a few more Berra-isms.

"You can observe a lot by just watching."

" No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded."

"A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore."

" You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I’m not hungry enough to eat six."
                      Best Wishes,
                      Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                        Thanks Archaic

I figured it was one or the other.

Can I ask (or do I need to go off googling) where the Yogi then came from as his nick name.

When I was a kid almost everyone I knew had a Nickname of some sort.

Currently chasing some nick names in my family tree.
                        Hello GUT

there are a few versions of how he got the nickname, one is when he wa sa kid he went to the movies with a friend who said he looked like a Yogi in the film... I don't buy that one.. the story I believe is when he started playing baseball, and there were no dugouts or benches to sit on, he would sit on the ground with his arms and legs crossed and a teammate said he looked like a Yogi (Hindu Holy Man) and all the other teammates started calling him Yogi...

I got to meet Yogi once ( when I was 10 years old... he was Managing the Yankees at the time and I went to see a game in Cleveland and they were in the same hotel as I was).. I remember him patting me on the head and signing an autograph for me.....I wish I was older and would have spoken to him.. being so young I just said thank you and left..

Yogisms are so much fun... for those who don’t know about the man... he was not stupid...especially when it game to his profession... you don't become a leader on and off the field if you are stupid... he just....had that great way of speaking... everything made sense... in a way... if you think about it...just only Yogi talked that way....for those of you who want to read some more of this man’s amazing quotes you can look at these sites ( or search for more.. there are MANY.. as I said.. he has been called the most quoted man in America!!)

Yogi is famous for his fractured English, malapropisms and sometimes nonsensical quotes. He's closing in on 86, and there seems to be no end to his fan's love for him. In honor of the beginning of the US baseball season, here are 25 Yogi Berra quotes that will make you shake your head and smile.

New York Yankees legend Yogi Berra had some amazing quotes that are favorites of baseball fans.

Steadmund Brand
                        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Hi Steadmund, how are you?

That's cool you met Yogi. Wouldn't it be fun to have a cocktail or a beer with him and just enjoy the quips?

This Yogi-ism made me laugh: "He hits from both sides of the plate. He's amphibious."

"Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical."

"So I’m ugly. I never saw anyone hit with his face."

RIP Yogi.
                          Archaic

Comment

Thanks Bunny and Steady, not totally off track but I note there's talk of another major league game down under next year.
                            G U T

Comment

Working...
                            X