Macdonald's District: North East Middlesex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by magoo View Post
    my gt gt grandmother Mary Ann Jane Ellett died suddenly (suicide) in Vernon Road Bow on July 2 1888.The inquest was held by Macdonald on the 5th july 1888. Can anyone tell me if this is archived anywhere or has anybody transcribed it for any reason. I live about as far away from Londons east end as it is possible to get
    Hi,

Your ancestor's record has survived in very good shape and is held at the London Metropolitan Archives, MJ/SP/C/NE, Box 1, Case No. 62. It was among those that I photographed when I visited London to research Dr. Macdonald. The coroner's officer in Bow at this time was Curtain Thomas Chivers, who was also the officer involved in the Rose Mylett case.

I have about six images following with some transcriptions. Like with all inquests, it's a sad story but I hope you'll find it a helpful contribution to your family's history and so I'm happy to put it up here for you.

Dave

Comment

• Front cover. This is one that carries the names of the jurymen over from the inquisition (which isn't included).

The jury found a verdict of "found dying and did die from the mortal effects of poisoning by nitric acid taken by her own hand while in a state of unsound mind-do further say that such death was violent."
      Attached Files

Comment

• Interior of the front cover, with expenses recorded. Family did not receive a shilling for testifying. A person named Moore is indicated as being paid, but either that person's testimony hasn't survived in the record or possibly he or she was summoned but wasn't called to testify.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Front of the coroner's officer letter requesting an inquest warrant.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Back of the officer's letter, summarizing the circumstances of the death. Chivers had lovely handwriting that's not difficult to make out, but I've transcribed it anyway.

Supposed Suicide

The husband states that the deceased has been drinking for the last 3 Weeks’ and on Sunday July 1st he left her at home about 8.30 P.M. she was then getting sober shortly afterwards’ he returned and found her foaming at the mouth and afterward found that she had taken Nitric Acid which he had bought himself 2 Weeks’ ago for his son’s warts. He went for Dr. Roberts who went and gave her emetic and prescribed for her she was quite conscious and died on Monday July 2nd at 7 A.M.
            Attached Files

Comment

• First of two pages of testimony.

Re Ellett No. 62 5/7/88
              [In the hand of Chivers] William Ellett I live at 38 Vernon Road Bow I am a Carpenter and Joiner the deceased was my wife her name Mary Ann Jane Ellett. her age was 44 Years she has been drinking heavily for the last 3 Weeks and on Sunday July 1st. I left home about 8.30. P.M she was then getting sober and I had no reason to expect her death although she said she should leave me whilst in a state of drink I returned about 10 Minutes and found her in the parlour she was then foaming at the mouth I went into the kitchen and asked my son if his mother had taken ["taken struck out and “done” inserted by Macdonald] anything, he said he did not know she followed me into the kitchen. I then went into the Parlour and found a bottle which had contained Nitric Acid which I had bought a fortnight ago for my son’s Warts and a Tumbler was by the side of it I at once went for Dr Roberts he came shortly after and gave her an emetic and prescribed for her I gave her some milk and the white of eggs’ during the night and I left her in the care of my daughter on Monday 2nd. About 5.20. a.m. whilst I went to work and about 8 a.m. I was informed by my son that she was dead. [Following added by Macdonald] I was attending her all during the night. My daughter went up to bed. I left my daughter in charge of her when I left in the morning.

[In the hand of Chivers] Annie Ellett I live at [address inserted by Macdonald] 48 Southboro Rd South Hackney [following in the hand of Chivers] I am a Domestic Servant on Sunday July 1st. I was [following inserted by Macdonald] at my father's house. I left there at 4.50 P.M. [continues on following page]
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Dave O; 07-14-2013, 03:28 PM.

Comment

• Second page of testimony.

[Annie Ellett continued] She was not the worse for drink. I was sent for at about 11 P.M. I went to bed. I was in the room when she died. My father called me at 5 A.M.

[In the hand of Chivers.] Thomas Roberts. [qualification added by Macdonald] L.S.A. [following in the hand of Chivers] and Registered I live at Faloden House Tredegar Road. Bow I was called to see the deceased on Sunday July 1st. about 9.30 P.M. I found her sitting on a low chair in the kitchen. [Following added by Macdonald] She told me she had taken nitric acid because she had a quarrel with her husband. I applied the usual remedies saw her again at 11.30 and left giving instructions as to what was to be done. The mouth + lips were stained yellow also the left hand. The inside of the mouth was both stained + burnt. She suffered great pains. I was called at 7 A.M. next morning and found her dead. I told the husband she was in a critical position. The cause of death was poisoning by nitric acid.

[In the hand of Macdonald] Wm. Graham. a waterman. I reside in the same house as the deceased. I often saw deceased the worse for drink. They did not live on very happy terms at 9.20 P.M. on Sunday night Mr. Ellett told me she had taken some poison. I pikced her up off the floor next morning at 6.45 A.M. She was undressed I picked her up and she died a little after.

That's the end of the record.

Best,
                Dave
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Dave O; 07-14-2013, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• thank you

Comment

Working...
                  X