More Info on Thomas Allman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Gary

I'm more concerned with the genealogy really. Obviously if an adult mistreats a child then they'll have to pay the price. But we don't know the circs, e.g. maybe there was a situation where children grieving over dead mother are presented with stepmother whom they resent and then half-sister Hannah on whom stepmother naturally dotes so half-sister is resented and that's reciprocated by stepmother and then dad steps in and you've got an Eastenders script.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
      Hi Gary

I'm more concerned with the genealogy really. Obviously if an adult mistreats a child then they'll have to pay the price. But we don't know the circs, e.g. maybe there was a situation where children grieving over dead mother are presented with stepmother whom they resent and then half-sister Hannah on whom stepmother naturally dotes so half-sister is resented and that's reciprocated by stepmother and then dad steps in and you've got an Eastenders script.
      That sounds plausible, but if someone breaks into a Bluegate Fields brothel on more than one occasion it sounds a bit more than just a case of stepparent/children angst.

And it wasn't the case that the attack on Mary was in some way brushed under the carpet by the court. It was taken very serioulsy, but Thomas's previous character (in contrast to his wife's it would seem) was taken into account when he was sentenced.

I'm wondering if anyone has a copy of the 'Barnetto' marriage cert. I'd be interested to see the addresses of the bride and groom.

Comment

Have to just put in that Ann Allman does not appear to be the one that beat her children (thank god) . Apparently she married a Henry Edwards May 20th 1866 at St Pancras and they had quite a few kids. Henry was a Japanner and her father Thomas Allman was a forman at the London Docks...
        Pat....

Comment

Can someone give me some details of the Barnatto marriage and I will look?
          Pat.........

Comment

Hi Pat

Marriages Jun 1885 (>99%)

Allman Thomas Holborn 1b 1012 Scan available - click to view
            Barnetto Katharine Holborn 1b 1012 Scan available - click to view

Comment

Hi Robert, Sorry none in marriages and Banns...

Pat.....

Comment

Ah well, Pat, Gary will have to order the cert.

Comment

No, I couldn't find it on Ancestry either, which might have suggested it was an RC marriage, but Thomas was an avowed protestant and his earlier marriage to Mary (herself a catholic) had been C of E.

Comment

Ah well, Pat, Gary will have to order the cert.
                    I can't remember the last time I ordered a Barnett cert. I might be able to sneak it past the auditor (Mrs B).

Comment

Tell her you're investigating the solitary candle in the villa of Allman.

Comment

Tell her you're investigating the solitary candle in the villa of Allman.

Peachy!

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
                          Joolz You are wrong. Catherine Allman died in Whitechapel in 1885. age 58. She had married Allman the same year. There has been a lot of research on this. Did you not read my post?
                          Harry D What a stupid comment . I am not normalising violence against woman. It was normalised by the culture of the time and the legal system.

Miss Marple
                          Would that be the post in which you state that Allman's daughter's name was Mary and Catherine was shown as a general servant in 1881 (both wrong)?

(Memo to self: never mount a high horse without making sure your girth is secure.)

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
                            I was not normalising it. Unfortunately if brought up in a culture where violence is' normal 'patterns repeat themselves. Victims of violence and sexual abuse can repeat those patterns. Many killers were subjected to abuse as children. If Ann Allman was abused as a child. That would' normal' behaviour to her and unless shown another way would repeat those patterns.

'Honour' killing of young women is normalised in some cultures that does not mean its right. Normalisation can be very dangerous.

Miss Marple
                            And I'm sure there were dozens of women who grew up in that environment who never subjected their children to that kind of abuse.

Comment

Found the Barnetto marriage in Holburn and found this death in same year in Whitechapel

Name Catherine Allman
                              Event Type Death
                              Registration Quarter Jul-Aug-Sep
                              Registration Year 1885
                              Registration District Whitechapel
                              County London
                              Event Place Whitechapel, London, England
                              Age (available after 1866) 58
                              Birth Year (Estimated) 1827
                              Volume 1C
                              Page 235
                              Line Number 42

(England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007," database, FamilySearch)

Pat.....

Comment

Barnetto marriage to a Thomas Allman

Name Katherine Barnetto
                                Event Type Marriage
                                Registration Quarter Apr-May-Jun
                                Registration Year 1885
                                Registration District Holborn
                                County London
                                Event Place Holborn, London, England
                                Volume 1B
                                Page 1042