Screaming Lord Sutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Observer View Post
    As you probably know Graham the Bonzo's appeared on the kids comedy programme "Do not adjust your sets", You can get a DVD of all the episode's on Amazon. I havn't watched it for a while, but off the top of my head ther's 8 episode's with a song by the bonzo's in each episode.

all ther best

Observer
    I certainly do remember "Do Not Adjust Your Set". But that was the 'small', the 'respectable', Bonzo Dog Band. I can go back to the sunny days when no Bonzo concert was complete without at least 25 performers on stage.

I'm all about!

Graham
    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Hi Graham

They certainly couldn't have got 25 people on the stage in the poky little hole I was referring to in my previous post, I doubt whether there was 25 in the audience.

all the best

Observer

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
        I'm a huge Bonzos fan as I used to be in a band that was always being compared to them in terms of silliness.

I knew Dave Sutch a little and it was such a shame when he died. I first met him at a public event and he was, frankly, a total arse. Awful. However, I met him again two years later at a film showing and we both arrived early and went for a coffee. The real man was lovely. He was quiet, friendly, chatty and clearly lacking in confidence. I really took to him and retrospectively it's not all that surprising to understand why he took his own life after his mum died.

I've got a photo of me and him with Honey Lantree of The Honeycombs from 1991. I used to be a huge Joe Meek fan once upon a time (their producer, the English Phil Spector to those who don't know the name).

PHILIP

Joe Meek was a beautiful, sad, mad but hugely talented producer. I was a virtual tot in the 60s when his music was always topping the charts but I can still remember my brother and I banging wooden spoons against saucepan lids in time to the drum beats in the chorus of "Have I the Right'

A couple of years ago, I saw a play in the West End called Telstar. It told the story of Joe and his recording studio in his flat above a shop in Holloway Road. Linda Robson played his much-loved but ill-fated landlady. It was a terrific play but of course, there could be no happy ending. Poor Joe.

My husband absolutely ADORES the Bonzos. I think it's a male thing because, although the music is OK, I can't stand the humour.

Comment

I saw the Bonzos quite a few times, and their act was never the same two nights running.

One time I took a girl to see them at Aston University, Birmingham, and she actually damaged her diaphragm laughing. They were without any doubt the funniest act ever, but poor old Viv Stanshall turned into a tragic figure, eventually. I always felt sorry for him in his post-Bonzo days. I think the only Bonzo who really made it was Neil Innes, who was about the only accomplished musician of the lot of them.

Ah, happy daze, never to be repeated in this sad, conforming PC world of ours...

Cheers,

Graham
          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Oh please Graham, you're a lovely bloke, don't turn into one of those PC-bashing rabids. There are too many of them on the Obama thread over in Pub Talk!

Comment

[QUOTE=Limehouse;23719]Oh please Graham, you're a lovely bloke, don't turn into one of those PC-bashing rabids. There are too many of them on the Obama thread over in Pub Talk! [/QUOTE

OK, I promise - but there's rabids on both sides, Limehouse. What I meant to imply was that in 2008 the Bonzos would be run in if they performed their 1968 act.

Cheers,

Graham

Comment

Oh dear, am I a rabid??

I don't remember the Bonzos doing anything too offensive but I suppose the world has moved on quite a lot. I mean, I remember thinking that Carry On films were hilarious and yet today you can only laugh with embarrassment!

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                  I'm a huge Bonzos fan as I used to be in a band that was always being compared to them in terms of silliness.

I knew Dave Sutch a little and it was such a shame when he died. I first met him at a public event and he was, frankly, a total arse. Awful. However, I met him again two years later at a film showing and we both arrived early and went for a coffee. The real man was lovely. He was quiet, friendly, chatty and clearly lacking in confidence. I really took to him and retrospectively it's not all that surprising to understand why he took his own life after his mum died.

I've got a photo of me and him with Honey Lantree of The Honeycombs from 1991. I used to be a huge Joe Meek fan once upon a time (their producer, the English Phil Spector to those who don't know the name).

PHILIP
                  Hi Philip

The photo of you with Dave Sutch and Honey Lantree of The Honeycombs sounds great. Would you be able to put it here in this thread? I hope so.

Chris
                  Christopher T. George
                  Editor, Ripperologist
                  http://www.ripperologist.biz
                  http://chrisgeorge.netpublish.net

Comment

Neil Innes appeared in Eric Idle's "Rutland Weekend Television" which no one seems to remember but which was quite funny.

Comment

Hello Robert

I remember Rutland Weekend Television, it was a very funny Monty Python-esque spin-off. Most people just wont remember Rutland, that smallest of counties that only existed for a few years, and now has quite of bit of itself submerged under Rutland Water!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                        I remember thinking that Carry On films were hilarious and yet today you can only laugh with embarrassment!
                        Hi Limehouse

I don't find the Carry On films the least bit embarrassing - I have the entire collection on DVD - I love watching them and find them very funny. Earlier today there was an 'On The Buses' film on tv which the Radio Times reviewer described as truly awful. I watched it and enjoyed it.

In fact I enjoy these films so much that I make sure the door is closed when I watch them, so that I cannot be disturbed, the window too. I keep the volume down low because I know that not everyone shares my love of these films .....

Comment

.... sorry for the abrupt end to the last post, there was someone knocking at my closed door. I have to go now, there is a man in a white coat wanting to show me something along the corridor.

The Confessions Of films are also really, really good ... I just wish those men in the white coats didn't plug my chair into the mains when I start to watch one ...

Comment

... Confessions of a Pop Performer is one of my favourites, it has Jill Gasgoigne with no clothes ... hang on a minute, who's that woman in a white coat? Oh, my wife - now I'm in trouble!

Comment

Hi Steve

On one show involving Neil Innes, I remember he introduced a clip of Jake Thackray singing "On again" or something like that. It was the first time I heard it. It's hilarious, but decidedly un-PC!

Comment

NOTE: A TV documentary about Jake Thackray called 'Jake on the Box', produced by Victor Lewis Smith, is scheduled to air on BBC4, 9pm, Friday 6 October. This...

Comment

Working...
                                X