Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theatre

Hello all

I have been wondering how much information the killer could have picked up from watching operations in the operating theatre. As far as I can gather anyone could turn up and watch, as well as medical students. At a teaching hospital the surgeon would have given instruction while operating. Even if the "round the navel cut" was fairly new, it could have been mentioned for example.

Just wondering. Suffering from post flu fuzzy-headedness so will not make this long.

Best wishes
    C4

Originally posted by curious4 View Post
    Hello all

I have been wondering how much information the killer could have picked up from watching operations in the operating theatre. As far as I can gather anyone could turn up and watch, as well as medical students. At a teaching hospital the surgeon would have given instruction while operating. Even if the "round the navel cut" was fairly new, it could have been mentioned for example.

Just wondering. Suffering from post flu fuzzy-headedness so will not make this long.

Best wishes
    C4
    Hi,

According to my research he had no need of doing such a thing.

Regards Pierre

Comment

Hello all

Best wishes
      C4
      Was going to post a photograph but couldn't. Nevertheless here's one I found earlier:

(You might need to click on History with this link)

Best wishes
      C4
      Last edited by curious4; 11-04-2015, 01:49 AM.

Comment

It all depends on what class Jack came from, doesn't it, and whether he had been trained in medicine? All the young men in the 'audience' in that painting in the link look middle class and most are probably medical students.

I can't see a working class individual with possibly grubby clothing and appearance being allowed to wander in from the East End streets in order to view an operation. I'm sure that the theatre was probably accessed by applying to the hospital for tickets if you weren't a medical student.

What about pathology museums like Kahns? They had anatomical specimens and 'bodies' that could be taken apart. Regarded as worthless entertainment for the masses they were being squeezed out by the medical authorities by the 1880's but there might have been one or two still open.

Comment

at work in his theatre

Hello all,

Dr. Lawson Tait in his theatre..

Discussion of the various doctors and coroners who were involved in the original investigation.

post No.5

Phil
          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
          Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
            It all depends on what class Jack came from, doesn't it, and whether he had been trained in medicine? All the young men in the 'audience' in that painting in the link look middle class and most are probably medical students.

I can't see a working class individual with possibly grubby clothing and appearance being allowed to wander in from the East End streets in order to view an operation. I'm sure that the theatre was probably accessed by applying to the hospital for tickets if you weren't a medical student.

What about pathology museums like Kahns? They had anatomical specimens and 'bodies' that could be taken apart. Regarded as worthless entertainment for the masses they were being squeezed out by the medical authorities by the 1880's but there might have been one or two still open.
            Hello Rosella

The operation theatres were in principle open to all, but I agree with your point, I don't think anyone in rags would be welcome. But if you lean towards a poor Jack, there is always the chance that say a porter or orderly would be able to view operations. I believe anyone could view, no tickets, surgeons being the divas they often are would welcome an audience.

I'm not sure the museums would be much help in cutting techniques.

Best wishes
            C4

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
              Hello all,

Dr. Lawson Tait in his theatre..

Discussion of the various doctors and coroners who were involved in the original investigation.

post No.5

Phil
              Thanks Phil

Very interesting, thank you!

Best wishes
              C4

Comment

Hello Rosella

The operation theatres were in principle open to all, but I agree with your point, I don't think anyone in rags would be welcome. But if you lean towards a poor Jack, there is always the chance that say a porter or orderly would be able to view operations. I believe anyone could view, no tickets, surgeons being the divas they often are would welcome an audience.

I'm not sure the museums would be much help in cutting techniques.

Best wishes
                C4
                I doubt that poor people would be admitted to an operating theatre. Look at the onlookers in this photograph.

Bellevue Hospital Operating Theater, circa 1890
                Christopher T. George
                Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                  I doubt that poor people would be admitted to an operating theatre. Look at the onlookers in this photograph.

Bellevue Hospital Operating Theater, circa 1890
                  True, but can we be sure Jack was poor? And as I said to Rosella, hospital workers such as porters and orderlies could well have been able to observe. Wealthy patients were operated on at home, so these patients were mainly poor and treated for free, so no-one was particularly worried about their privacy.

Best wishes
                  C4

Comment

Working...
                  X