'Curse Upon Mitre Square' and Jack the Ripper- Period Articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Curse Upon Mitre Square' and Jack the Ripper- Period Articles

I came across a couple of 1880's and 1890's items relating to the supposed "Curse" laid upon Mitre Square and its connection to Jack the Ripper, so thought I'd share them.

The first is a large 1889 advertisment for the book 'The Curse Upon Mitre Square'. Even the ad is sensational, which gives one an idea of the nature of the book.

I really enjoyed the reviews that are quoted in the ad, as some of them seem to have been written a bit tongue-in-cheek.
    My favorite review begins "This thrilling little tale, as condensed as a meat lozenge..."

This advertisement is from 'The American Bookseller', 1889.

Just below is an ad for a book by the author of 'The Mystery of A Hansom Cab', a famous mystery novel.

Best regards,
    Archaic
    Attached Files

"boasts some literary qualities above its supreme sensationalism"

I think I've read a review of Cornwell, by that same guy...

Comment

1894 History Article Claiming Eddowes Was Killed On Site of Old Church's High Altar

I'm not sure if this particular article has been posted before. This attached pages come from an 1894 magazine article about the history of various Catholic churches throughout London and discuss the history of Mitre Square, the destruction of the Priory of the Holy Trinity, the "Curse", and the murder of Catherine Eddowes.

At the bottom of page two it's stated that Catharine Eddowes was killed on the very site of the high altar.

"...Public attention was once more directed to the spot in 1888 by the horrible murder of Catherine Eddowes, whose mutilated body was discovered on the very site of the high altar of Queen Matilda's stately church."

This article comes from 'The Month, A Catholic Magazine and Review', 1894. It's not a sensational-type journal at all, so I was surprised that it would specifically state that Catherine Eddowes was killed on "the very site of the high altar".

I doubt whether that statement is true, but I'm curious as to whether anybody has ever plotted out the site of the old church to see if the altar was anywhere near "Ripper's Corner", or if it's just another urban myth that sprang up in the wake of the Ripper murders?

Thanks and best regards,
      Archaic
      Attached Files

Comment

Interesting stuff, Archaic. Thanks for posting this material.

All the best

Chris
        Christopher T. George
        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Yes thanks, Bunny. As Chris says, interesting stuff. I read The Mystery of the Hansom Cab yonks ago and seem to recall that it was quite well done. However, what I'd really like is to be able to get a copy of The Curse Upon Mitre Square for 20 cents. Now that would be sweet.

Comment

From the article -

"...Public attention was once more directed to the spot in 1888 by the horrible murder of Catherine Eddowes, whose mutilated body was discovered on the very site of the high altar of Queen Matilda's stately church."

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
            I'm curious as to whether anybody has ever plotted out the site of the old church to see if the altar was anywhere near "Ripper's Corner"
            Click image for larger version

Name:	PrioryModB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	662613

1 Rippers Corner 2 High Altar

Mitre Square aligns with the monastic cloister, or courtyard, enclosed by church and ancillary buildings.
            Mitre Street aligns with the center aisle of the church.

Roy
            Sink the Bismark

Comment

Hi Chris and Ken; you're very welcome.

And Roy, thanks so much for the images you posted. It would appear that the High Altar was actually quite close to the murder spot, though not on the exact spot. It was much closer than I expected it to be though- just a stone's throw away.

Here's a link to another thread with some terrific photos of the preserved wall of the old Priory: http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=5522

I just LOVE it when ancient ruins are carefully preserved, especially when it's accomplished in such a cool way. It makes me feel like I have x-ray vision and can see back through time!

Thanks everyone.
              Archaic

Comment

'The Curse Upon Mitre Square' By J. F. Brewer, Full Text (PDF)

For those of you who haven't yet read the text of Brewer's novel 'The Curse Upon Mitre Square', in 2002 Cindy Collins Smith at HollywoodRipper.com kindly uploaded a review copy of the entire text in PDF format.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Ms. Collins for making the text available to all.

Hollywood Ripper website (archived format of HollywoodRipper.com): :http://ripperlady.wordpress.com/

'Curse Upon Mitre Square' Text PDF: http://www.hollywoodripper.com/pdf/C...itreSquare.pdf

(Be sure to read Ms. Collins' "Introduction", as it's both entertaining and insightful, and will increase your enjoyment of the text.)

Best regards,
                Archaic

Comment

Working...
                X