Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - by Sam Flynn 12 minutes ago.
Ripperologist: Ripperologist 161 April/May 2018 - by Ginger 5 hours ago.
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - by GUT 8 hours ago.
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - by GUT 8 hours ago.
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by packers stem 8 hours ago.
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - by MrBarnett 8 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - (16 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: What was occuring in 1888? - (6 posts)
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - (6 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - (3 posts)
General Discussion: Mug Shots from 1908-1911 - (3 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Mary Kellys Inquest - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Kosminski, Aaron

View Poll Results: Is Kosminski the best Ripper suspect?
Yes 25 28.09%
No 48 53.93%
Maybe? 16 17.98%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #651  
Old 02-17-2017, 08:19 PM
Dr. John Watson Dr. John Watson is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 303
Default Aaron the Ripper?

Kosminski rose to the status of Ripper suspect mainly because of Swanson's mention of his name, followed by some excellent research opening many tiny windows into this man's pathetic life, but his status really grew after three criminal profilers studied the Ripper murders for a TV documentary and after just one hour unanimously chose Kosminski as the best suspect. The reality is, there's not a single shred of evidence tying him to any of the murders. Aby, you mention one incident of violence in his history, but trying to scare your sister with a knife does not a Ripper make. He was at best a delusional schizophrenic, not the clever psychopath Jack was. Kosminski may well have grappled with Stride on his way home, but would a master escape artist like Jack rough up his victim in front of witnesses and then go on to kill her only a few feet away? Aaron the Ripper? No way!

Dr. John
__________________
"We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #652  
Old 02-17-2017, 09:10 PM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,105
Default

Quote:
Aby, you mention one incident of violence in his history, but trying to scare your sister with a knife does not a Ripper make.
I don't recall if this was detailed out in an article somewhere but, a person in his shaky state of mind could easily pick up a kitchen knife for self defense. He may have felt threatened, by illusions?.
The end result is still the same, he held a knife in front of his sister.
It all depends on how you look at it.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #653  
Old 02-18-2017, 04:22 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is online now
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 4,163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Good post.
Koz has to be considered a valid suspect imho. He's mentioned by 3 police officials, lived in the area and the killings stopped when he was incarcerated.
And I do believe the threatening his sister with a knife no less is overlooked. I would also add that most serial killers don't have overt violence ( other than there murders of course) on there record.
Abby and Harry and indeed John

One real issue we have with Koz is that we make statements about if he was violent or not based on a real shortage of information.

Those arguing against considering him, do not appear to take into account how few records we have for him while he was locked up.

That is also a problem for those who favour him.


And if we are going to say we will only consider those we know committed other murders, we are really limiting ourselves are we not.

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #654  
Old 02-18-2017, 04:32 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is online now
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 4,163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. John Watson View Post
Kosminski rose to the status of Ripper suspect mainly because of Swanson's mention of his name, followed by some excellent research opening many tiny windows into this man's pathetic life, but his status really grew after three criminal profilers studied the Ripper murders for a TV documentary and after just one hour unanimously chose Kosminski as the best suspect. The reality is, there's not a single shred of evidence tying him to any of the murders. Aby, you mention one incident of violence in his history, but trying to scare your sister with a knife does not a Ripper make. He was at best a delusional schizophrenic, not the clever psychopath Jack was. Kosminski may well have grappled with Stride on his way home, but would a master escape artist like Jack rough up his victim in front of witnesses and then go on to kill her only a few feet away? Aaron the Ripper? No way!

Dr. John
Dr John

I would argue that "Jack" was not a clever psychopath at all.


The statement about not a shred of evidence is not entirely accurate is it?

I mean , and I accept it is very, very circumstantial, but is he not one of only two suspects who lived next to or at one of the sites at some stage in their life?

Barnett with Miuller's court and Koz next door to Dutfield's yard.

While I understand what you mean, we should not give the impression that there is nothing to tie him to any of the sites.

Indeed a recent trend has been to accept him as a possible killer of Stride , but not the killer of the others.awe do need to be accurate.


all the best

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #655  
Old 02-18-2017, 05:04 AM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
Dr John

I would argue that "Jack" was not a clever psychopath at all.

Steve
Quite so Steve.
Much of the mystique about this killer stems from our lack of knowledge of what happened, and the fact no-one appears to have seen him come & go.
I strongly doubt that is warranted. I would sooner believe he was seen, coming or going, or in the company of a victim, but those who could have shed light on these crimes were reluctant to come forward.

In a close-knit society like the East End you learn at a very young age to keep your nose out of other peoples business. The police were still not trusted by many, and pointing the finger at someone could have very real repercussions for people who already live on the edge of existence.

Anyhow, I don't see Kosminski as a good suspect at all.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.

Last edited by Wickerman : 02-18-2017 at 05:07 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #656  
Old 02-18-2017, 05:30 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is online now
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 4,163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
Quite so Steve.
Much of the mystique about this killer stems from our lack of knowledge of what happened, and the fact no-one appears to have seen him come & go.
I strongly doubt that is warranted. I would sooner believe he was seen, coming or going, or in the company of a victim, but those who could have shed light on these crimes were reluctant to come forward.

In a close-knit society like the East End you learn at a very young age to keep your nose out of other peoples business. The police were still not trusted by many, and pointing the finger at someone could have very real repercussions for people who already live on the edge of existence.

Anyhow, I don't see Kosminski as a good suspect at all.

Hi Jon

much agree with the first two paragraphs.

And of course i disagree with the last, however thats the way it is, with so little real evidence in favour of Anyone, it is always going to be perosnal views, no problems with that at all.


Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #657  
Old 02-18-2017, 07:35 AM
jason_c jason_c is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
Dr John

I would argue that "Jack" was not a clever psychopath at all.


The statement about not a shred of evidence is not entirely accurate is it?

I mean , and I accept it is very, very circumstantial, but is he not one of only two suspects who lived next to or at one of the sites at some stage in their life?

Barnett with Miuller's court and Koz next door to Dutfield's yard.

While I understand what you mean, we should not give the impression that there is nothing to tie him to any of the sites.

Indeed a recent trend has been to accept him as a possible killer of Stride , but not the killer of the others.awe do need to be accurate.


all the best

Steve
And Kosminski is virtually the only suspect there is contemporary evidence against. We have his "identification". Now, im willing to admit his identification is far from perfect, and we have it's details only at second hand. However, the limited evidence there is against Kosminski is probably weightier than every other piece of evidence against all modern suspects combined. We have a witness, no matter how sketchy, who places him at a murder site. Unlike Lechmere Kosminski did not come forward to explain why he was at a murder site that night.

Again, im not for a moment suggesting we have solid evidence to prove Kosminski was the murderer, but he is certainly a highly plausible suspect. And in the case of the mess that is suspects in the JtR case a plausible suspect is good solid suspect.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #658  
Old 02-18-2017, 08:21 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
Quite so Steve.
Much of the mystique about this killer stems from our lack of knowledge of what happened, and the fact no-one appears to have seen him come & go.
I strongly doubt that is warranted. I would sooner believe he was seen, coming or going, or in the company of a victim, but those who could have shed light on these crimes were reluctant to come forward.

In a close-knit society like the East End you learn at a very young age to keep your nose out of other peoples business. The police were still not trusted by many, and pointing the finger at someone could have very real repercussions for people who already live on the edge of existence.

Anyhow, I don't see Kosminski as a good suspect at all.
Well none of the suspects are good IMHO. Even my favored blotchy and hutch. They are all weak suspects, some are just less weak than others.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #659  
Old 02-18-2017, 08:54 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is online now
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 4,163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Well none of the suspects are good IMHO. Even my favored blotchy and hutch. They are all weak suspects, some are just less weak than others.
Abby,

Agree 100% .

Always say there are no probables , just lots of possibles, some of who are much stronger than others. however there are none a solid case can be made against.


Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #660  
Old 02-18-2017, 09:11 AM
John Malcolm John Malcolm is offline
Constable
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cardiff, Wales
Posts: 89
Default

Not only do I think Kosminski is the "best" suspect, I think he is the only person named so far that there is any case at all for. The biggest problem for his candidacy is that he doesn't fit the image of what the vast majority of theorists and enthusiasts have imagined all these years.

One thing that seems to be forgotten when speaking of Aaron K. is the fact that there are indeed records beyond threatening his sister with a knife that indicate a violent disposition even after his incarceration. (Not that it really matters though- for example Ted Bundy and Jeffrey Dahmer were both model prisoners. And, although he wasn't a serial killer, I don't recall any violent incidents at Broadmoor with Ron Kray after his committal.) For the record, while at Colney Hatch, Aaron "took up a chair, and attempted to strike the charge attendant"; and also, from the same note, in 1892: "at times excited and violent". So, if you are saying he was entirely "harmless", that's an argument you can throw out the window.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.