A little bit of TTC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little bit of TTC

Following on from the valuable new resources found by Debra and Robert, I was wondering what folks made of the series of classified ads run by Thomas Taylor Cutbush - or one of his many wives - during 1871, 1872 & 1873 seeking very young girls as servants for their house on Tasman Street?

Very intresting indeed, is this a case of the master having his wicked way, or something quite normal. Weird that they seem to advertise quite often, wonder what they were like to work for?

A whole new can of worms opens!!
    Regards Mike

Comment

Well, one would have thought that the new Mrs Cutbush would have wanted her servant to be 60, ugly and bald!

TTC seems to have been fairly well off, from this Evening Post 24 Aug 1872 item.

Here is the area on a map, hopefully the link will be Ok.

Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps.

And here is where we're continuing from

General discussion about anything Ripper related that does not fall into a specific sub-category. On topic-Ripper related posts only.
      Attached Files

Comment

He certainly seems to have done all right, Robert.
        One thing that puzzles me though, why would TTC need to be struck off the electoral register twice, in 1872 and 1873?
        Did he come back, Robert, for another bride?

Comment

Not too sure about that one, AP.

I was wondering whether he inherited anything from Agnes. Did you find any references to him living in Tasman St prior to Agnes's death? I don't think I did.

When he married her, he was a clerk.

By going Down Under, TTC seems to have Gone Up.

Comment

Wasn't sure whether you had this one?
            Evening Post, 26 Sep. 1870:
            'MARRIAGES.

On the 24fch instant, &b the office of the Registrar, Wellington, Mr. Thomas Taylor Cutbush, to Miss Frances Augusta Evelyn Watson, both of Wellington. On the 26th instant, by the Rev. James Cummins, John Kirkcaldie, of Wellington, N»Z.i to Mary Anne Hall, eldest daughter of Edward Hall, Esq., Dartford, Kent, England. No cards.

Comment

Thanks AP. Yes, his third and final wife - unless a fourth should turn up!

Comment

Just found this one in The Melbourne Argus of April 3rd 1880:

'Thomas Taylor Cutbush, of Sandridge, commercial traveller. Causes of insolvency —Want of employment, death in family, and pressure of creditors. Liabilities, £99 18s. ...'

Comment

That's very interesting, AP. I wonder who died.

Comment

Thanks Robert, even more interesting is that TTC was able to be discharged from insolvency less than two months later when he obviously came into some money, so either the dead person left him a bit, or perhaps Thomas sent him a few polished farthings in the post?

And I think I've found one more of TTC's boys, I'll post that shortly.

Comment

Cap"n Jack and Robert -glad to see the Cutbush boys getting an airing........

Comment

Nice to see us getting an airing!

Comment

Hi Nats

We have to check on TTC every now and again, to make sure he hasn't upped and remarried again.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            Hi Nats

We have to check on TTC every now and again, to make sure he hasn't upped and remarried again.

....more like been buried and dug up again Robert!

Comment

Working...
                            X