The Mysterious Disappearance of the 1882 Palmer-Sinai Expedition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mysterious Disappearance of the 1882 Palmer-Sinai Expedition

Just before sunset on August 8th 1882 HMS Cockatrice, a small paddle wheel gunboat, appeared off the Egyptian shore. A rowing boat was lowered down its side and slowly moved towards the beach. On its arrival, six men and a teenage boy alighted. Three of the group were British, all dressed as Arabs, two were Bedouin tribesmen, one a Jew and one a Syrian. The following morning, this mismatched party set off for the desert, taking with them two boxes of dynamite and £3,000 in gold coin. Five of them were never seen again.

My book ‘These Chivalrous Brothers. The Mysterious Disappearance of the 1882 Palmer Sinai Expedition’ is to be published on January 29th.The book recounts for the first time the story of the Palmer Sinai Expedition, a spying and terrorist mission that ended in the murder of its participants and was one of the great cause célèbre of the nineteenth century. The ‘murderers’ were brought to justice by Charles Warren and the book shows how Warren covered up what really happened. It will thus be of interest to those who believe Warren was also involved in the cover-up of the Ripper murders. Further information can be found at:

Palmer Expedition

Good luck with the new book. About twenty years back I wrote an essay on Warren and the Palmer Expedition published in The Criminologist called "The Making of the Commissioner" about how Warren's supposedly successful conclusion to the affair (his finding remains and also tracing how Palmer and his compatriots were betrayed and killed) led to the mistake of thinking him a capable detective for the short list of the post of Assistant Commissioner at the Yard (with Sir Redvers Buller and Lord Charles Beresford). It was an interesting story, and there was actually no account of the incident ever published. Now there is. Again I hope it sells well.

Jeff

Comment

I really must look further at this one.

I had family serve on Cickatrice, but before 82 off the top of my head.

Now I musgo searching to Lin them up.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

As I suspected the ancestor who was on Cockatrice was in the 1830s not the one saling in the 1880s as far as I can so far find.

My gg grandfather was actually promoted to lieutenant from the Cockatrice in '36.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
        X