No announcement yet.

Centenaries - whole and half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 years ago - 1915 June 26 - In France, an Argentine widow named Therese LaBorde-Line vanishes. She is believed to be the third victim of "bluebeard" serial killer Henri Landru. His ploy was to romance lonely women then kill them off as soon as he gained control of their assets. After murdering at least eight additional women he was was arrested and went to the guillotine in 1922
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 600 years ago - 1415 July 6 - In what was then the Holy Roman Empire and is now Germany, Jan Hus, an early Christian reformer, is burned at the stake for heresy.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 150 years ago - 1865 July 7 - Mary Surratt, Lewis Powell, George Atzerodt and David Herold, the four condemned for the conspiracy to assassinate President Lincoln, are executed by hanging in Washington, D.C.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 400 years ago - 1615 July 8 - Scottish rebel and outlaw Angus Og MacDonald is executed in Edinburgh for high treason.

50 years ago - 1965 July 8 - Canadian Pacific Air Lines Flight 21 crashes in B.C., killing all 52 onboard. Investigation proved that a bomb had gone off in the plane's restroom. The case was never solved.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
            150 years ago - 1865 July 7 - Mary Surratt, Lewis Powell, George Atzerodt and David Herold, the four condemned for the conspiracy to assassinate President Lincoln, are executed by hanging in Washington, D.C.
            The officer in charge of the executions was Major General Winfield Scott Hancock, called the best corps commander in the U.S. army, and considered by General Grant the best army commander who never led any official army (like Grant, Lee, Sherman, Joe Johnston, Jackson, Sheridan, Early, Hood, Thomas). Hancock, a Democrat, was a contender for the 1868 Democratic nomination for the Presidency, but lost that one to Horatio Seymour. He did get nominated at last in 1880 by the Democrats, but lost in a squeaker of an election (less than 10,000 popular votes difference) to General James A. Garfield (who would assassinated less than eight months later).

Jeff

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1965 July 8 - Denise Clinton, 9, is kidnapped from a Kansas City, MO motel. In 1967, her skeletal remains were found in Wyoming. The murder remains unsolved.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Were they any leads in this Denise Clinton case? Haven't heard of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
                  Were they any leads in this Denise Clinton case? Haven't heard of it.
                  I don't believe there were any significant leads although the man who was her abductor was seen, I think. If you Google Denise Clinton 1965, there are several artcles about the case.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 Years ago Ronnie Biggs decides that Australia is a better place to live than an English gaol.

Can you blame him.

Sometime later he decides an English gaol is better than Brazil. Doesn't say a lot for Brazil.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1965 July 14 - Eddie Crimmins Jr., 5, and Alice Marie Crimmins, 4, are reported missing from their Queens, NY residence. Later today, the little girl will be found strangled just a few blocks from her home. In the following week, the remains of her brother will be discovered next to a highway. The siblings' mother, Alice Crimmins will be charged and convicted of murdering Eddie and for manslaughter in the case of Alice Marie. Eventually, the murder conviction was thrown out and the woman was left to serve a relatively short term for the manslaughter conviction. Mrs. Crimmins was paroled in 1977.

50 years ago - 1965 July 14 - Near Chicago, George Jayne asks Cheryl Rude to move his Cadillac to make room for some painters. When she turns the key, the car explodes. The murder was never officially solved but the intended target was almost certainly George. Many suspected his half-brother Silas Jayne.
                      Last edited by sdreid; 07-11-2015, 12:04 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                        50 years ago - 1965 July 14 - Near Chicago, George Jayne asks Cheryl Rude to move his Cadillac to make room for some painters. When she turns the key, the car explodes. The murder was never officially solved but the intended target was almost certainly George. Many suspected his half-brother Silas Jayne.
                        Wasn't there a conviction in '99
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                          Wasn't there a conviction in '99
                          I hadn't heard GUT but I'd be interested to know if that's the case.

Stan Reid

Comment

• But still suspects the brother was behind it.
                            G U T

Comment

• I live in the Hunter Valley, a huge horse breeding area, regarded my many, who know, as at least the equal of the Kentucky Blue Grass region, there have been a few feuds over the years that have lead to deaths. I guess it's the old story a ton of money up for grabs.
                              G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                                http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...n-s-death-bomb

But still suspects the brother was behind it.
                                Thanks GUT! I wasn't fully up on this developement. The Silas Jayne Wiki article doesn't mention it-I don't think.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X