Them heavy people helped me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Them heavy people helped me

Strange that I should think of a line from a Kate Bush song when I haven't even got one of her albums!

My work-in-progress novel about George Chapman as the Ripper has improved enormously since its opening was torn to shreds by members of this part of Casebook.

Finding myself unable to write in an old-fashioned style, I switched to using a modern narrator, writing in 2010, about his grandfather's Ripper story, told to him during the London Blitz. The dates work out because the narrator, Tom Carter, is 92.

Carter's fictional grandfather is supposed to have been the priest who heard George Chapman's confession in Wandsworth Prison in 1903. Chapman confessed to being JtR. As an extra twist, the narrator himself turns out to be a retired serial killer with 12 victims walled up in a hidden basement: he was inspired to do these killings by his grandfather's tales of JtR.

The grandfather is a Catholic priest who lost his faith and married an older widow. This does occasionally happen in England - Roy Hattersley, a UK politician, had a father who did this.

Tom Carter's murders are partly based on those of Christie and partly on Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper.

I think I have to do one more thorough proof-read & then it'll go out on Kindle.

SW

Run it by Kate first. She may have some good suggestions for improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Webb View Post
      its opening was torn to shreds by members of this part of Casebook.

"his grandfather's Ripper story"

"The grandfather is a Catholic priest who lost his faith"
      Hi Simon

Sorry to hear of your being torn to shreds.

Step-grandpa, surely?

And in your plot the priest breaks his solemn vow not to repeat things said in confession.

I look forward to reading it!

Helena
      Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
        Run it by Kate first. She may have some good suggestions for improvement.
        Do you mean Kate Bush?

SW

Comment

Working...
        X