This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hutch Orris View Post
    The end of the building at 82 Commercial Street can clearly be seen in the distance.
    Thank you for pointing this out. Hmm, it looks like the windows used to be wider apart.

Comment

For completion I should show the approximate murder location of Mary Kelly as it relates to the current street layout.

It lies between the 4th and 5th shutters down from the Commercial Street end and conveniently, if you get close up, there is a missing kerb stone just by the spot.

Some people say the actual site is on this line but further into the warehouse itself.

[ATTACH]14030[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14031[/ATTACH]
      Nice work Hutch......Thank you.

Comment

Quite right spyglass. Tracey Emin lives a few doors further on with her cat Docket, the other side of Wilkes Street.

I know she's not everyone's cup of tea but personally I love her because she's a nice person but still has an 'edge' to her and doesn't sit on her emotions.

If I ever win the Euro millions ( ) Fournier Street/Princlet Street/Wilkes Street would be where I moved to.
        I believe Emin has now move to the countryside.

Got sick of people peering into her home.

Monty
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Not strictly "on-subject" but has anybody ever come across photos of Queen Ann Street (just round the corner from Bucks Row) ? Reason I ask is unashamedly that my great great grandparents were living there at the time of the WCMs...

I believe it's under a sports centre now...

Regards

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
            Not strictly "on-subject" but has anybody ever come across photos of Queen Ann Street (just round the corner from Bucks Row) ? Reason I ask is unashamedly that my great great grandparents were living there at the time of the WCMs...

I believe it's under a sports centre now...

Regards

Dave
            Whalla whalla Cats meat.

The same street James Harriman of Hanbury st fames Grandparents hailed from?

Monty
            Monty

Comment

• Whalla whalla Cats meat.
              Bugger me...that takes me back clean to my childhood...it was a phrase my mother, grandmother and Great Aunt used...and I've never heard it elsewhere since...jeez Monty you must have East End blood in you somewhere!

God, something just crept across my grave....

Dave

Comment

• I have Dave, Shoreditch, along with Bermondsey and Woolwich.

You aren't that old surely.

Monty
                Monty

Comment

• 58 mate...but there are times I feel a lot older (and this is one of them)...mother of good Wapping and Whitechapel stock...

Dave

Comment

• Whalla Whalla Cat's Meat

Hi Monty and Dave.

I've never heard "Whalla Whalla Cat's Meat" before either... but I'm guessing that it's what cat's meat men shouted as they sold their loathsome wares.

I suppose you two sold cat's meat for pocket money in your youth?

Whalla Whalla Cat's Meat...

Cheers,
                    Archaic

Comment

• There was a Steptoe and Son episode of that name.

Comment

• My mother would often say it when she saw a horse drawn vehicle...especially the local rag and bone man...on a visit to London she once badly upset a very pompous coachman exiting the Royal Mews...

Dave

Comment

• Dear Sir

In common with many people, I waited at the roadside to catch a glimpse of the royal coach on the occasion of the state opening of Parliament. As the coach drew to a halt, a hand appeared at the window. Imagine my surprise when, next moment, I was struck by a packet of cat's meat! Have any readers had a similar experience?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                            My mother would often say it when she saw a horse drawn vehicle...especially the local rag and bone man...on a visit to London she once badly upset a very pompous coachman exiting the Royal Mews...Dave
                            Hi Dave.

How long were the rag and bone men around? (I guess I assumed they were all gone by WWII. Thanks.)

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            Dear Sir
                            In common with many people, I waited at the roadside to catch a glimpse of the royal coach on the occasion of the state opening of Parliament. As the coach drew to a halt, a hand appeared at the window. Imagine my surprise when, next moment, I was struck by a packet of cat's meat! Have any readers had a similar experience?
                            Hi Robert.

Can't say I have.

Maybe it's a new method of crowd control?

Anyway, be grateful it was a packet and not a skewer...

Archaic

Comment

• Hi Dave.

How long were the rag and bone men around? (I guess I assumed they were all gone by WWII. Thanks.)
                              I'm emphatically NOT THAT OLD!

Well there were horse drawn rag and bone men round well into the sixties and I think the early seventies too...The TV series Robert mentions, "Steptoe and Son" was a 60's comedy sitcom about a pair of such...very funny if you get a chance to watch it...

All the best
                              (says he through gritted teeth - huh WWll)

Dave

Comment

• Steptoe & Son

Hi Dave.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you are of WWII vintage! I just didn't think there was much call for old bones in the Plastic Age.

I've never seen 'Steptoe & Son' but looked it up and apparently the long-running U.S. sitcom 'Sanford & Son' was based upon it.

'Steptoe & Son' is available on YouTube, so I intend to watch a bit of it. Here's the very first episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU9Fz2OplR8

Cheers,
                                Archaic

Comment

Working...
                                X