Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 1 minute ago.
General Discussion: Help me find the source of this story - by MrBarnett 1 minute ago.
General Discussion: Help me find the source of this story - by MrBarnett 8 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Abby Normal 1 hour and 4 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Abby Normal 1 hour and 5 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 1 hour and 15 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (16 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (3 posts)
General Discussion: Help me find the source of this story - (2 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - (1 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kosminski/Kaminsky - please debunk - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #2011  
Old 11-12-2017, 02:57 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is online now
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
nice back track. I'm not buying it either. theres been a lot of great stuff and if you and mister superficial would stop the knee jerk crap against anything fish says you might just learn something.
Hi Abby

Yes there has been great stuff on here, but none of it suggests the same motive quoted in the thread title. So no backtracking at all. The discussion I am alluding to is not the Torsos in general but the title of the thread.


I always have respected your viewpoint even if I disagree with it. And considering the supportive post I gave to you a week or so back, I find this response slightly disappointing.


All the best as always


Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2012  
Old 11-12-2017, 05:21 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,943
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
I think the general consensus is that the torso killer had access to transport. And once you have, just about all of London becomes accessible in a short time.
Why travel ALL the way from the East End to dump body-parts predominantly - almost exclusively - more than 10 miles away in Southwest London? Pinchin Street aside, Tottenham Court Rd is the nearest to Whitechapel, but even that's a fair trek away from Ripper Central.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2013  
Old 11-12-2017, 08:03 AM
jerryd jerryd is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
This, however, would require that the killer brought a fine-toothed saw along to the vaults, something that sounds decidedly odd to my ears, so I am opting for the idea that the victim was killed some place else.
A couple of the men left their tools right there in the vault daily. Carpenters use saws don't they? I think a saw would have been part of the tool kit for a carpenter.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2014  
Old 11-12-2017, 08:22 AM
jerryd jerryd is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 957
Default

Quote:
So instead of having to argue for a man who killed en route to work, you have a guy that dumped en route to work. That´s kind of funny.
I know about the possible Wildbore connection in Backchurch Lane - and I think it is quite possible that there WAS a connection through the name. I was not aware of the timber holds in the docks. Any which way, what are you envisaging here? That Wildbore carted material from there, and brought the torso along to dump it underways? Or that he bore a grudge against his relative - if he WAS a relative - in Backchurch lane? Or that he found it convenient to take the torso along as he visited there?
Not en route to work, en route home. That is if she was killed and dismembered in the vault. The arm would have possibly been dropped on his way home; thrown over the embankment wall. Or another possibility for the arm is IF (hate to use the word but oh well) J.T Chappell's yard was used for cutting timber or supplying timber to the site, the arm may have been transferred that way.

The Backchurch Lane deposit is a tough one no matter how we look at it. It was different than the other three, yet thought to be connected. I really don't have a good explanation for it so I won't even try. I do keep in the back of my mind the fact the property was owned and used by the Board of Works. That could have some sort of connection with a builder.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2015  
Old 11-12-2017, 08:30 AM
jerryd jerryd is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
And he lived within easy walking distance of the putative dump-sites in the Thames.
Thanks Gareth,

Yes, and so did Richard Lawrence. In fact, Richard Lawrence lived closer to Battersea Park than did Wildbore. Lawrence is the man that placed Wildbore's tools in the vault on Saturday night and took them out again on Monday morning.

If this was a partner type thing, then I think these two fit the bill perfectly. And, as Gary Barnett found, both men had fathers that committed suicide. Wildbore's when he was very young.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2016  
Old 11-12-2017, 08:47 AM
jerryd jerryd is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
I think the general consensus is that the torso killer had access to transport. And once you have, just about all of London becomes accessible in a short time. From any chosen point of departure, you can reach the Wandle, Whitehall, Tottenham Court Road, Whitehall, St Pancras Lock, Battersea Gardens and Pinchin Street in no time at all. Which, going by the evidence, is precisely what the Torso killer did.
Though I think you have made some good points about the 1873 torso Christer, I'm not sure we can absolutely count that in the series. I don't say that because it limits suspects due to age, I say it because Dr. Bond attended the 1873 torso proceedings and yet didn't include it with the four from 1887-1889. Same with Tottenham in 1884 and the 1874 torso for that matter.

Other than the deposits to the north in Regents Canal and the Pinchin torso, the rest of the Thames deposits could have been done from one spot. The Albert Bridge, for example, as Debs has indicated in the past. Even the Battersea Park deposit could have been from that bridge. Less than a half mile from that bridge was the Shelley home if we talk about other land drops in the area.

Last edited by jerryd : 11-12-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2017  
Old 11-12-2017, 10:54 AM
RockySullivan RockySullivan is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryd View Post
Not en route to work, en route home. That is if she was killed and dismembered in the vault. The arm would have possibly been dropped on his way home; thrown over the embankment wall. Or another possibility for the arm is IF (hate to use the word but oh well) J.T Chappell's yard was used for cutting timber or supplying timber to the site, the arm may have been transferred that way.

The Backchurch Lane deposit is a tough one no matter how we look at it. It was different than the other three, yet thought to be connected. I really don't have a good explanation for it so I won't even try. I do keep in the back of my mind the fact the property was owned and used by the Board of Works. That could have some sort of connection with a builder.
jerry how do you think he could get a victim to the vault?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2018  
Old 11-12-2017, 10:54 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Why travel ALL the way from the East End to dump body-parts predominantly - almost exclusively - more than 10 miles away in Southwest London? Pinchin Street aside, Tottenham Court Rd is the nearest to Whitechapel, but even that's a fair trek away from Ripper Central.
Why travel all the way from the West End home that you suggest down to Pinchin Street in the east?
No matter where we choose to think that we cn place the killer, we will always have to allow for him travelling significant distances on his dumping journeys.

Therefore, the idea that he lived in the west is a totally moot one, I´m afraid. He may have and he may not have.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2019  
Old 11-12-2017, 10:57 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryd View Post
A couple of the men left their tools right there in the vault daily. Carpenters use saws don't they? I think a saw would have been part of the tool kit for a carpenter.
Not the fine-toothed type of saw that is used to cut human bones, though, at least not during the type of construction work done in the vaults. A fine-toothed saw is much more about delicate wood details. My son´s a carpenter and a cabinet-maker, so I know roughly what is used.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2020  
Old 11-12-2017, 11:03 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,865
Default

jerryd: Though I think you have made some good points about the 1873 torso Christer, I'm not sure we can absolutely count that in the series. I don't say that because it limits suspects due to age, I say it because Dr. Bond attended the 1873 torso proceedings and yet didn't include it with the four from 1887-1889. Same with Tottenham in 1884 and the 1874 torso for that matter.

The 1873 torso was decisively the work of the same man who killed Mary Jane Kelly, Annie Chapman and Liz Jackson. I have no doubts about that, Jerry.

Other than the deposits to the north in Regents Canal and the Pinchin torso, the rest of the Thames deposits could have been done from one spot. The Albert Bridge, for example, as Debs has indicated in the past. Even the Battersea Park deposit could have been from that bridge. Less than a half mile from that bridge was the Shelley home if we talk about other land drops in the area.

It still means a lot of walking and dumping, does it not? Tottenham Court Road, for example, is also a fair stretch away.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.