Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: Was Ernest Dowson Jack the Ripper? - by ChrisGeorge 35 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - by Mayerling 3 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Was Ernest Dowson Jack the Ripper? - by Richard Patterson 4 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Was Ernest Dowson Jack the Ripper? - by Pcdunn 4 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - by GUT 4 hours ago.
Thompson, Francis: Francis Thompson. The Perfect Suspect. - by Abby Normal 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (26 posts)
General Discussion: Collaboration on Mitre Square and GSG? - (11 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (10 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Was Ernest Dowson Jack the Ripper? - (9 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (7 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - (5 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries > A6 Murders

Old 08-08-2016, 06:11 PM
Detective

Hanratty was ‘framed?’
Probably. But not just by the police.

The killer actually used the name ‘Jim’ although Valerie Storie thought this was not his real name. Why ‘Jim’ and not ‘Bert,’ ‘Alf’ or ‘Reg?’

By good fortune, a gun was found on a London bus. Not only was it loaded, but it was accompanied by a veritable arsenal of ammunition. To dump the gun might make sense. But why all the ammo? It could have been used in another firearm. A handkerchief, identifiable although not by DNA at that time, was around the gun.

The police were alerted to Swiss Cottage by William Ewer a week after the murders, and established a link with a Mr. Ryan (aka James Hanratty). This was acknowledged by the senior detective Acott, although he denied it had any significance in the enquiry. Probably true. The police would have had a number of enquiries and Ewer’s ‘sighting’ would have been very low on the radar.

What is surely significant is that Ewer was attracting police attention to a man who appeared to be Hanratty, weeks before he was apparently in the frame. Ewer later married the widow of the deceased, in the full knowledge that Alphon had claimed a marital motive for the murder. Why was Ewer one step ahead of the police? This has never been answered. He fell back on some mysticism from Mrs Gregsten to justify his prior knowledge. His behavior at the arcade in Swiss Cottage, and later at the trial, was described as ‘excitable.’ This anomaly between the timing of suspicion was never pursued by the police.

By even greater fortune, when the investigation was stalling, cartridges were found at the Vienna Hotel. These were attributed to James Hanratty, after conflicting statements by the hotel manager.

In summary, the Swiss Cottage 'frame' had been unsuccessful, so a further 'frame' was required in the Vienna Hotel. Why would any assassin, even a limited one like James Hanratty was alleged to be, carelessly leave behind cartridges in a hotel chair? It is stretching credulity too far I think. The same man, let us not forget, who managed never to be seen in the area of the murder or, amazingly, not to leave one fibre of his being in the murder car. That such a man could leave cartridges in a hotel room is just beyond what I can believe.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:08 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
Ewer later married the widow of the deceased, in the full knowledge that Alphon had claimed a marital motive for the murder.
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 357
Size:  60.4 KB

William Ewer on his wedding day, note the plastic suit.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:25 AM
Detective

Quote:
Hanratty was ‘framed?’
Probably. But not just by the police.

The killer actually used the name ‘Jim’ although Valerie Storie thought this was not his real name. Why ‘Jim’ and not ‘Bert,’ ‘Alf’ or ‘Reg?’

By good fortune, a gun was found on a London bus. Not only was it loaded, but it was accompanied by a veritable arsenal of ammunition. To dump the gun might make sense. But why all the ammo? It could have been used in another firearm. A handkerchief, identifiable although not by DNA at that time, was around the gun.

The police were alerted to Swiss Cottage by William Ewer a week after the murders, and established a link with a Mr. Ryan (aka James Hanratty). This was acknowledged by the senior detective Acott, although he denied it had any significance in the enquiry. Probably true. The police would have had a number of enquiries and Ewer’s ‘sighting’ would have been very low on the radar.

What is surely significant is that Ewer was attracting police attention to a man who appeared to be Hanratty, weeks before he was apparently in the frame. Ewer later married the widow of the deceased, in the full knowledge that Alphon had claimed a marital motive for the murder. Why was Ewer one step ahead of the police? This has never been answered. He fell back on some mysticism from Mrs Gregsten to justify his prior knowledge. His behavior at the arcade in Swiss Cottage, and later at the trial, was described as ‘excitable.’ This anomaly between the timing of suspicion was never pursued by the police.

By even greater fortune, when the investigation was stalling, cartridges were found at the Vienna Hotel. These were attributed to James Hanratty, after conflicting statements by the hotel manager.

In summary, the Swiss Cottage 'frame' had been unsuccessful, so a further 'frame' was required in the Vienna Hotel. Why would any assassin, even a limited one like James Hanratty was alleged to be, carelessly leave behind cartridges in a hotel chair? It is stretching credulity too far I think. The same man, let us not forget, who managed never to be seen in the area of the murder or, amazingly, not to leave one fibre of his being in the murder car. That such a man could leave cartridges in a hotel room is just beyond what I can believe.
Once more right on the money.
It's strange how to some of us it's so obvious that Hanratty was framed and yet for others ,well ,they just don,t see it. I guess it's what makes the world go round
Old 08-09-2016, 08:52 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
...Ewer later married the widow of the deceased...
First I've heard of it.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:39 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
First I've heard of it.
Didn't we read though somewhere that Janet had admitted that her and Ewer were involved in a relationship? Because I thought the question arose ,what happened to Mrs. Ewer during the 7 or 8 years that Janet was living with Ewer with the two boys?
Old 08-09-2016, 11:53 AM
Detective

I think Derrick's point is that Ewer was never married to Mrs Gregsten, who remained his sister-in-law only. The error was mine.
I think it is accepted that William Ewer and Janet Gregsten were in a close relationship, indeed living in the same property, for around eight years following the death of her husband.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:43 PM
Detective

Quote:
I think Derrick's point is that Ewer was never married to Mrs Gregsten, who remained his sister-in-law only. The error was mine.
I think it is accepted that William Ewer and Janet Gregsten were in a close relationship, indeed living in the same property, for around eight years following the death of her husband.
So common law then, well, what the hell ?
Old 08-09-2016, 02:37 PM
Detective

Ewer’s actions prior to the trial are worthy of more investigation. Yet the police seemed to have placed in him in some kind of purdah. A lucky man.
His actions after the trial are just as worthy of investigation, especially give Alphon’s claim of a family motive. Alphon could be talking out of is backside of course, but he made a connection that has some resonance given what transpired.

Just for the sake of argument let us consider the following:- I am in no way implying it has any relevance to the facts on the ground. Let us suppose Ewer benefited financially from the death of Michael Gregsten. Would any insurance company of any repute not have delved deeply into the arrangements between William Ewer, Mr Gregsten and Mrs Gregsten before signing a cheque?

The reason I ask this purely hypothetical question is that a relationship did develop, or maybe even exist, at the time of a serious murder trial. Yet the response of the police, who investigate criminal law, seems to have been weaker than that what we would expect from a workaday insurance company. How can a criminal investigation operate more casually than a civil one? Is this perhaps what Matthews was alerted to in his investigation, the one in which it is claimed he believed three people were involved in the murder: and that none of these was Hanratty?

Why was Ewer never taken into custody? He tried hard enough. What was his alibi for the evening of 21st August 1961. Who confirmed it? His wife? I think it was. Just as Alphon’s alibi was his mum. Did he ever visit the Taplow Inn? Had he ever met Mrs Anderson? Or even Dixie France, who seemed to know him? Why did he telephone the police and ask them to come to Swiss Cottage almost a month before James Hanratty was put in the frame for the A6 murder? Had he ever met Peter Louis Aphon, perhaps the self-styled Sam Spade of Slough? What were Ewer’s bank details for the period 1961-1962? None of this seems to have been investigated.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:12 PM
Sergeant

Quote:

What was his alibi for the evening of 21st August 1961.

Why should anyone connected with this case require an alibi for 21st August 1961?
Old 08-10-2016, 01:15 AM
Constable

JH in the condemned cell refers a couple of times in his letters home to a Mrs McGee. Anybody know who she was?