Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: Was Ernest Dowson Jack the Ripper? - by ChrisGeorge 41 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - by Mayerling 4 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Was Ernest Dowson Jack the Ripper? - by Richard Patterson 4 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Was Ernest Dowson Jack the Ripper? - by Pcdunn 4 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - by GUT 4 hours ago.
Thompson, Francis: Francis Thompson. The Perfect Suspect. - by Abby Normal 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (26 posts)
General Discussion: Collaboration on Mitre Square and GSG? - (11 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (10 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Was Ernest Dowson Jack the Ripper? - (9 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (7 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - (5 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #2091  
Old 11-14-2017, 03:04 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
The fact that a torso was found on Pinchin Street strengthens the case.
No Christer, it does not.

Quote:
The fact that his mother lived in Mary Ann Street strengthtens he case.
Again it does not, you see what you do because you wish to see links.
In reality the link is no more than kosminski's links to the Stride case, possabilties and assumptions, nothing more.
Quote:
The fact that Lechmere has logical ties to all the murder sites in the Ripper series strengthens the case.

The reality is Lechmere is linked to Bucks Row. There is also a geographic link to Chapman, given it is on the same route; however the timing does not support a real link.

The 3rd can only be tied in by suggesting a proposed trip to a mother, involving a route which does not lead directly to or from the Stride site.
The Eddowes case is based on using the 3rd.

Yes my dear Christer there are ties, however they are for the most superficial and weak. They form a framework for an hypothesis, not the details required to prove such.
Therefore they do not strengthen the case.

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2092  
Old 11-14-2017, 03:21 AM
John Wheat John Wheat is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
No Christer, it does not.


Again it does not, you see what you do because you wish to see links.
In reality the link is no more than kosminski's links to the Stride case, possabilties and assumptions, nothing more.



The reality is Lechmere is linked to Bucks Row. There is also a geographic link to Chapman, given it is on the same route; however the timing does not support a real link.

The 3rd can only be tied in by suggesting a proposed trip to a mother, involving a route which does not lead directly to or from the Stride site.
The Eddowes case is based on using the 3rd.

Yes my dear Christer there are ties, however they are for the most superficial and weak. They form a framework for an hypothesis, not the details required to prove such.
Therefore they do not strengthen the case.

Steve
Hi Steve

I fear you're wasting your breath on the deluded.

Cheers John
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2093  
Old 11-14-2017, 03:44 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheat View Post
Really? No one else does.
Well, John, if you are the true spokesman of every other poster out here, then I am in a lot of trouble.

I can only hope that note everybody puts that kind of trust in you.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2094  
Old 11-14-2017, 03:49 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,786
Default

Sam Flynn: It's an objective fact that the focus of the torso dump sites was predominantly in southwest London.

Yes! And is anybody saying anything else?

The most parsimonious explanation by far is that the perpetrators had easy access to that part of town.

Well, whether it was "easy" or not, we cannot tell, but access he had, we can see that much. And I fail to see that anybody is denying that.

The most likely explanation for this is that they also lived there, or at the very least that the vast majority of the bodies were "processed" there.

Yes, that is the most likely explanation, and once again, I fail to see anybody claiming something else - but it is NOT the only possible explanation by any standards! And THAT is where you must be criticized, for claiming that it is "almost certain" that the killer lived in the western parts of London!

I am glad that you seem to have come to your senses again. The claims you now make are radically different from your former ones and much, much sounder. I agree as clearly on these points as I disagree with the claim that it is "almost certain" that the killer lived in western London.

Last edited by Fisherman : 11-14-2017 at 03:52 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2095  
Old 11-14-2017, 03:55 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
these are the two posts by you and El that set me off:



one snide comment by you--- and el, with a rather for some reason long post that amounts to -this thread is useless.

and most of both have been along these lines. if you don't agree fine, that's one thing-I'm not 100% convinced either but lets stop with this crap. You guys are usually some of the best contributors out here, which is why its so disappointing, and frustrating to see this BS ad nauseum.
Abby

My comments were refering to an early post I made in this thread that I saw little new evidence related to if it were the same motive or killer. The thread itself has had some great info., but I respectfully suggest little which helps with the actual title.


Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2096  
Old 11-14-2017, 03:58 AM
John Wheat John Wheat is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Well, John, if you are the true spokesman of every other poster out here, then I am in a lot of trouble.

I can only hope that note everybody puts that kind of trust in you.
Well the fact that no one is leaping to your defence speaks volumes.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2097  
Old 11-14-2017, 04:07 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheat View Post
Well the fact that no one is leaping to your defence speaks volumes.
And the fact that nobody is cheering you on speaks of what, John? Maybe how people won´t touch your arguing with a ten foot pole?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2098  
Old 11-14-2017, 04:12 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
No Christer, it does not.


Again it does not, you see what you do because you wish to see links.
In reality the link is no more than kosminski's links to the Stride case, possabilties and assumptions, nothing more.



The reality is Lechmere is linked to Bucks Row. There is also a geographic link to Chapman, given it is on the same route; however the timing does not support a real link.

The 3rd can only be tied in by suggesting a proposed trip to a mother, involving a route which does not lead directly to or from the Stride site.
The Eddowes case is based on using the 3rd.

Yes my dear Christer there are ties, however they are for the most superficial and weak. They form a framework for an hypothesis, not the details required to prove such.
Therefore they do not strengthen the case.

Steve
The idea that proven geographical connections between a suspect and murder sites do not strenghten a case is all new and very revolutionary.

And bonkers, of course, but why let that stand in the way for your innovative new take on criminal investigations?

The idea that these matters need to be conclusively proven before they can add to a case is also a complete breakthrough for your alternative take on criminal investigation techniques. It eradicates any middle stage of an investigation where suspicions grow on account of soundly suggested links, and we go from suspicion to conviction without any tedious stages of amassing evidence.

It is not less bonkers than the former suggestion. It is not more bonkers either. Bonkers is bonkers.

You really need to be more honest about your decision to fight the Lechmere idea, come what may. Since it shown in Technicolor, there is no good reason to try and hide it in retrospect. You can learn from John Wheat, who is very clearly at risk of developing ulcers at the very thought of me being correct. If you got it, flaunt it, sort of. And me oh my, have you got it!!

Last edited by Fisherman : 11-14-2017 at 04:16 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2099  
Old 11-14-2017, 04:20 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,878
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
And THAT is where you must be criticized, for claiming that it is "almost certain" that the killer lived in the western parts of London!
Perhaps "it" is not almost certain, but "I" am almost certain that he/they did, based on an entirely dispassionate consideration of the distribution of the body parts and the nature of the crimes themselves. Taking similar considerations into account, I have good reason to suspect that the Pinchin Street Torso crime was committed by an entirely different person, neither "the" Torso Killer nor Jack the Ripper.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2100  
Old 11-14-2017, 04:26 AM
RockySullivan RockySullivan is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
The majority of the body parts were dumped in the Thames or stashed away under cover (be it a railway arch or a subterranean vault). Why not leave them in the southwest London equivalent of Bucks Row or Mitre Square? "There's nobody around, so I'll dump the leg here... That'll scare 'em", kind of thing.
Right and why didnt the ripper kill mary kelly and annie chapman out in the street? Pinchin torso dump is just like Berner st. "That'll scare em"? huh what are you a fish
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.