Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Thompson, Francis: Francis Thompson. The Perfect Suspect. - by SuspectZero 3 hours ago.
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - by GUT 8 hours ago.
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - by Wolf Vanderlinden 10 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - by Mayerling 10 hours ago.
Scene of the Crimes: East End Walk - by barnflatwyngarde 11 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by NickB 11 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (6 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - (2 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (2 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: East End Walk - (1 posts)
Thompson, Francis: Francis Thompson. The Perfect Suspect. - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Old 10-24-2017, 01:14 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockySullivan View Post
Yes perhaps
You know what applies if you want to debate with me, Rocky.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:23 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
You lost me there. I never use chemises.
Another dream dies...

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 10-24-2017, 01:32 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Another dream dies...
Sorry about that.

But honestly, were you really thinking that I for some reason simply grabbed the idea that the torso killer may have had a thing for chemises out of thin air...?

If so, that´s a bit worrying.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:37 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Sorry about that.

But honestly, were you really thinking that I for some reason simply grabbed the idea that the torso killer may have had a thing for chemises out of thin air...?

If so, that´s a bit worrying.
I thought chemises were commonly worn by prostitutes
Old 10-24-2017, 02:00 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
You know what applies if you want to debate with me, Rocky.
Yes indeed, you will be twisting the truth to fit what you like.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:26 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
I thought chemises were commonly worn by prostitutes
They were undergarments commonly worn by all kinds of women.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:53 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
It was clear that this was your favoured explanation in your very first post on the subject:

Quote:
Let´s take a look at something I always found a bit odd. When the Pinchin Street torso was found, a chemise was also found, bloodied and dirty. The chemise had been cut all the way up front and also from the neck lining down to the sleeve openings on both sides.

To me, this tells a very clear story: The victim was on her back as the chemise was cut, and the cutting made allowed the killer to expose the body completely.

However, the question I would like for you to comment on is why the victim was dressed in a chemise at this stage?

As far as I can tell, there are three working suggestions to answer the question:

1. The victim was staying with the killer, and had dressed in a chemise to go to bed.

2. The victim was abducted in the chemise from her own lodgings.

3. The killer supplied the chemise.

I don´t like the first suggestion, on account of how I regard the killer as a killer of strangers. This of course does not have to be true, but the fact that he dumped Jackson in her own, marked, clothes speaks to me of an indifference probably based on how he had no ties to the victim. For example.

I don´t like the second suggestion, on account of how it would be hard to abduct a woman alive without being noticed, plus such a thing would probably have been commented on in the press.

I do like the third explanation a lot because it goes hand in hand with my thinking about a ritualistic behaviour tied to the murders.
Is it possible that your belief that there was a ritual dimension to the murders preceded - and shaped - your suggesting Option 3 above, i.e. that the killer was the one who supplied the chemise? I must confess that I don't think I'd have thought of that option, anymore than I'd have thought up the idea that JTR brought a chemise for Kelly to wear.

The most obvious explanation, as I think Abby pointed out, was that the victim was already wearing the chemise before she met her killer, but you didn't consider listing that among your three options. Perhaps that was because it would an easy mistake to assume that a chemise was invariably an item of nightwear but, as we've seen, that wasn't the case.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:34 PM
Chief Inspector

On 10th Sept. '89 the naked body, with arms, of a woman was found wrapped in some sacking under a Railway arch in Pinchin St

I'm sure this has been discussed frequently but why does Sir Melville Macnaghten say it was wrapped in sacking?
Old 10-24-2017, 05:20 PM
Inspector

Quote:
On 10th Sept. '89 the naked body, with arms, of a woman was found wrapped in some sacking under a Railway arch in Pinchin St

I'm sure this has been discussed frequently but why does Sir Melville Macnaghten say it was wrapped in sacking?
Well, it was wrapped in the remains of the chemise, but Inspector Pinhorn was reported to have made this cryptic remark at inquest;

"The position of the trunk was such as to indicate it had been carried in a sack, or closely bound up together. The arms were close to the body, and the hands beneath the abdomen."
Old 10-24-2017, 10:23 PM
Commisioner

Sam Flynn: It was clear that this was your favoured explanation in your very first post on the subject.

But what you suggested was this:

"...you latched onto the word "chemise" believing that it was definitely an item of nightwear, which then led you to read some sort of kinky dimension into the murder ...

And that was anything but clear in my post. It was a rather onedimensional and groundless suggestion, and that was what I found a bit worrying. Why on earth would I suggest something like that when a chemise was just about the most basic garment around in 1888 - unless I had something to go on?

Is it possible that your belief that there was a ritual dimension to the murders preceded - and shaped - your suggesting Option 3 above, i.e. that the killer was the one who supplied the chemise? I must confess that I don't think I'd have thought of that option, anymore than I'd have thought up the idea that JTR brought a chemise for Kelly to wear.

The chemise seemingly fits into the ritualistic part I am suggesting, yes. It could have been provided by the killer for that very reason - and it could have been the victims own, with no underlying ritualistic cause at all.

The most obvious explanation, as I think Abby pointed out, was that the victim was already wearing the chemise before she met her killer, but you didn't consider listing that among your three options. Perhaps that was because it would an easy mistake to assume that a chemise was invariably an item of nightwear but, as we've seen, that wasn't the case.

That depends on the type of chemise, Gareth. Not all chemises were worn at day- and nighttime, and we do not know which type this was. That being said, you are of course correct in saying that IF the chemise was the type that could be worn at daytime, then she could have had it on her person as she met the killer.
If it was NOT, then Abbys suggestion is not the most obvious explanation at all, I´m afraid.