Not for nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
    I'm very much in favour of an heuristic approach to solving these problems, Henry, but we mustn't ignore any syntactic functions and definitions, and this leads me to a Conclusion II, namely that people who read a post by Pierre don't understand much of it, but still they have their opinions about it.

In this case, I can see that the phrase:

those trying men were killers of those who are not others

has been mistranscribed.

It should of course be

those trying men were kidgers of those dgho are not others

When you read it like that, it all suddenly makes sense.
    Well more sense than most if what Pierre posts anyway.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
      I'm very much in favour of an heuristic approach to solving these problems, Henry, but we mustn't ignore any syntactic functions and definitions, and this leads me to a Conclusion II, namely that people who read a post by Pierre don't understand much of it, but still they have their opinions about it.

In this case, I can see that the phrase:

those trying men were killers of those who are not others

has been mistranscribed.

It should of course be

those trying men were kidgers of those dgho are not others

When you read it like that, it all suddenly makes sense.
      My goodness you're right. And as a historian, Pierre has such a close relationship with the the sources that he is entitled to determine what the sources were really trying to say.

Two coppers both wrote 'Juwes' but messed up the order of a couple of other words? A third witness wrote the word as 'Juws'? Swanson's summary had it as 'Jewes'?

Clearly, the trained and honest historian cannot but deduce the word must have been 'judges'.

I lost track, by the way: was this revelation Pierre's fabled Christmas present? Or was that another phantom pregnancy?

Comment

• Originally posted by Henry Flower View Post
        My goodness you're right. And as a historian, Pierre has such a close relationship with the the sources that he is entitled to determine what the sources were really trying to say.

Two coppers both wrote 'Juwes' but messed up the order of a couple of other words? A third witness wrote the word as 'Juws'? Swanson's summary had it as 'Jewes'?

Clearly, the trained and honest historian cannot but deduce the word must have been 'judges'.

I lost track, by the way: was this revelation Pierre's fabled Christmas present? Or was that another phantom pregnancy?
        Pretty sure the Chrissy present wasn't, judging by the results of the elusive last bit of data, i as a famed socio-scientific-historian (of the academic variety) have found.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• I don't want to fan the flames of madness here but, using a 'curly?!' letter 'g' I've managed to make the French word for Judges -Juges, look like the word Juwes.. (a bit). I can almost see the rotten tomatoes heading my way!

I don't believe in the 'hidden message' theory at all. Just for the record.

Regards

Herlock
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
            I don't want to fan the flames of madness here but, using a 'curly?!' letter 'g' I've managed to make the French word for Judges -Juges, look like the word Juwes.. (a bit). I can almost see the rotten tomatoes heading my way!

Regards

Herlock
            Hi Herlock
            Did you use chalk on a brick wall or did you use pencil and paper?
            This is vital to our understanding!
            Cheers
            Albert

Comment

• Originally posted by Albert View Post
              Hi Herlock
              Cheers
              Albert
              And also, it sounds as though you were trying to make the French word for judges look a bit like Juwes. Why would you do that?

Surely the thing is, when writing the full message on a wall using chalk, clearly enough that every other word is completely legible, how many times out of a hundred would the word 'judges' alone be so badly written as to be misread as juwes, jewes, or juws?

This seems to me to be another flaw (as if another were needed) in Pierre's case. He makes great play of the fact that every other word was spelled correctly, and that therefore the misspelling of 'Jews' is in fact NOT a misspelling of 'Jews' but a mistranscription of 'Judges'. But the corollary of that is this: if every other word in the message was written clearly and legibly enough to be read ably and accurately by witnesses, why would the writer write 'judges' so badly that everybody who saw it thought it was a misspelling of 'Jews'?

If he could spell 'nothing' he should've been able to spell 'Jews'. Sure. But by the same token, if he could WRITE 'nothing' clearly enough that it could be read as 'nothing' and not 'frothing' (what a GSG that would have been!), then why couldn't he WRITE 'judges' clearly enough that a single person who saw it thought it said 'Judges'?

Pierre is hoist with his own petard, it seems.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albert View Post
                Hi Herlock
                Cheers
                Albert
                Sorry, I have a natural aversion to graffiti so I used a pencil and paper. The 'g' that I used was a capital (though 'curled' one, I don't know how to explain it any better than that.) JuGes. With the 'g' more rounded and slightly tilted. It helps to join it to the 'e'. Not particularly convincing.
                I haven't read all of this thread to be honest but I saw the word 'judges' and wondered if a translation could be made to look like Juwes. We all recall the 'juives,' thing in connection with D'Onstan. Perhaps if the wall was corrugated and Jack had advanced Parkinson's? Who knows.

Regards
                Herlock
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Sorry, I have a natural aversion to graffiti so I used a pencil and paper. The 'g' that I used was a capital (though 'curled' one, I don't know how to explain it any better than that.) JuGes. With the 'g' more rounded and slightly tilted. It helps to join it to the 'e'. Not particularly convincing.
                  I haven't read all of this thread to be honest but I saw the word 'judges' and wondered if a translation could be made to look like Juwes. We all recall the 'juives,' thing in connection with D'Onstan. Perhaps if the wall was corrugated and Jack had advanced Parkinson's? Who knows.

Regards
                  Herlock
                  Nice work Herlock. Are you suggesting Parkinsons as Pierre's "biological explanatory variable"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Henry Flower View Post
                    Nice work Herlock. Are you suggesting Parkinsons as Pierre's "biological explanatory variable"?
                    I wouldn't suggest anything Henry. I did miss out one factor though; there
                    would have had to have been a slight earth tremor at the time of writing:Which is.....possible.

Regards

Herlock
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I wouldn't suggest anything Henry. I did miss out one factor though; there
                      would have had to have been a slight earth tremor at the time of writing:Which is.....possible.

Regards

Herlock
                      SO: if Pierre's Ripper was writing the French word for 'judges' - on a corrugated surface - during an earthquake - and was suffering from advanced Parkinsons - then, to quote Lloyd Christmas in Dumb and Dumber, you're telling me there's a chance! YEAH!

Comment

• Yeah,nah.
                        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Jewes

If the chalked writing is jewes, which I think it is, it means judges, or judgement.
                          David Wilson Professor of Criminology:
                          'Connection, connection, connection. There is no such thing as coincidence when you are dealing with serial killers.'

Comment

• Hello Bill,

First of all welcome to the boards.

Do you have anything to back up your assertion or are you simply expressing your opinion?

c.d.

Comment

I don't want to fan the flames of madness here but, using a 'curly?!' letter 'g' I've managed to make the French word for Judges -Juges, look like the word Juwes.. (a bit). I can almost see the rotten tomatoes heading my way!

Regards

Herlock
                              So judges is juges in French, I see.

I agree with you that there was no "hidden" message. I think the message was very open and straightforward. The problem was that not many could read it correctly and understand it.

Pierre

Comment

• Thank you. Hope I'll be useful.
                                I do it's in the dictionary.
                                jewes
                                jewes, -esse
                                var. juise Obs., judgement.
                                Jews, Juwes, Jewes, Jeuwes, or Juews.

A GRAMMAR OF MODERN INDO-EUROPEAN
                                you......... juwes / juwe /
                                law ........jewos (jéwesos)
                                judge................ jewesdiks
                                just ...............................jéwestos

So, if the word is jewes, what's he saying?
                                I am judge, jury and excutioner?
                                Last edited by Callmebill; 08-23-2017, 03:18 PM. Reason: So good, I said thank you twice!
                                David Wilson Professor of Criminology:
                                'Connection, connection, connection. There is no such thing as coincidence when you are dealing with serial killers.'

Comment

Working...
                                X