The word JUWES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    Writing on a vertical surface, especially with grooves/bumps between bricks, is enough to throw an inexperienced writer's chalk off course, whether their fingers are bloody or not.
    Which makes the fact that the writing was "in neat schoolboy" handwriting odd Sam. Makes me think it was written when the author didnt feel hurried.
    Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosemary View Post
      Sticky fingers from blood might have challenged the writing skills of the author. Or is that just me because I'm left-handed & we tend to smear when writing on painted bricks walls with chalk & sticky fingers.
      I'm left-handed and I tend to smear everything I write with pen or pencil but my chalk graffiti on painted brick is immaculate.
      I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

• If you were intoxicated,could your penmanship resemble the "From Hell" letter?

Any pressure put on you to become right handed.....less.....sinister
        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• This thread assumes we are talking about a particular spelling of this word, when in fact we have 3 recorded versions of the word..."Juwes, Juws and Jewes."

If they were phoentically spelling the word when recording it, the first and last versions seem to fit best. The last version seems to be the most probable, to me, under those circumstances.
          Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
            This thread assumes we are talking about a particular spelling of this word, when in fact we have 3 recorded versions of the word..."Juwes, Juws and Jewes."

If they were phoentically spelling the word when recording it, the first and last versions seem to fit best. The last version seems to be the most probable, to me, under those circumstances.
            Hi,

They really did misinterpret the writing, didn´t they?

Regards, Pierre

Comment

• One version at least --

Christopher T. George
              Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
              just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
              For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
              RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

• The killer was perhaps hastily retreating back to East End after a hectic night of double murders and, thus, might have had trouble observing proper spelling. Also, writing on a wall or any surface that is not perfectly flat may cause some letters to be illegible. The "u" in "Juwes" might have been an "e", but wasn't clearly written.

Comment

• Is there any chance this issue has less to do with the writer and more to do with the reader? As in, the inspector couldn't read cursive.

If Orsam had posted his handwritten version of the word and told us. ,,the word is jews. Spell it as you see it,,
                  ... most of us would have spelled j-u-w-e-s
                  ... but one of would say ,,i think the third loop is an E. Its j-u-e-w-s.,,

As Orsam illustrates in cursive, it s all just a bunch of loops between J and S.

there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
                    Is there any chance this issue has less to do with the writer and more to do with the reader? As in, the inspector couldn't read cursive.

If Orsam had posted his handwritten version of the word and told us. ,,the word is jews. Spell it as you see it,,
                    ... most of us would have spelled j-u-w-e-s
                    ... but one of would say ,,i think the third loop is an E. Its j-u-e-w-s.,,

As Orsam illustrates in cursive, it s all just a bunch of loops between J and S.

Of course there is that "chance". But that does not mean that the written word had anything to do with jews.

Comment

• Since both PC Long and his inspector agreed the word was "juwes" yet both still managed to write "jews" in their notebooks, it seems evident that whoever chalked the message on the wall meant to write "jews" but somehow wrote "juwes" instead. Obviously, a passing gypsy had placed a curse of mis-spelling on the wall.

Comment

• If a photo had been taken of the graffiti we could of had the opportunity to estimate the height of the suspect, if jack wrote it that is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                          Of course there is that "chance". But that does not mean that the written word had anything to do with jews.
                          Hello Pierre.

If the word wasn,t Juwes or some version thereof, there would have been no reason to erase it. If it read...

The Martians are not the men who will be blamed for nothing

... they wouldn,t have erased it. Why? Because there wasn,t a martian market in the immediate vicinity. Apparently, the word was obvious enough to any passerby who could read cursive.

Also. Good chance if these men thought it read some version of Jews, so too was the populace that morning...
                          Last edited by Robert St Devil; 09-23-2016, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Robert St Devil;393459]

Hello Pierre.

If the word wasn,t Juwes or some version thereof, there would have been no reason to erase it. If it read...
                            Hi Robert,

What you mean is perhaps that if they did not believe that the word was Juwes or some version thereof, there would have been no reason to erase it.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

• They did more than just believe, they took action based on that ,belief,. That still leaves us with "they", Pierre - meaning, a group of men who were smart enough to be constables and inspectors, standing about, reading the graffito, all under the impression the intended words was "Jews". If that,s what they read out of the cursive, more than likely, the neighbors were going to read the same word.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Robert St Devil;393508]

They did more than just believe, they took action based on that ,belief,. That still leaves us with "they", Pierre - meaning, a group of men who were smart enough to be constables and inspectors, standing about, reading the graffito, all under the impression the intended words was "Jews". If that,s what they read out of the cursive, more than likely, the neighbors were going to read the same word.
                                They were also smart enough to not be able to copy the writing correctly but with individual differences between the attempted copies.

Comment

Working...
                                X