Feldscher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feldscher

It means "barber surgeon" from Russian. It's a story I thought of, and it includes Jack the Ripper and has some basis on the murders. It's basically a detective story.

Sorry. I'm a little shy when it comes to talking about my works.

Hello K.-S!

C'mon, I know one person being very shy outside these boards too!

All the best
    Jukka
    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

She's not very used to these kinds of forums...
      In a field... I am the absence of field...

Comment

Well, anyway, Karmi, your blog seems to be doing pretty well. I hope other people aside from your friends will actually read it.

Comment

Interesting.....am I missing something here????
          'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Hi- Feldsher according to Chambers describes it as:-In Russia and parts of Eastern Europe-- a partly trained person who practices medicine;one who assists a doctor,esp. on the battlefield [Russ fel'dsher- Ger feldscher,army surgeon]

Suz x

Comment

Yeah, in modern use. Feldscher used to be a term for a barber surgeon in the Victorian London era.

Comment

Feldscher was not a Victorian term for Barber Surgeon.

Feldscher obviously is of German origin. Some barber surgeons became Feldschers, but they didn't have the same status. I think barber surgeons ended about 1850, but I can't remember exactly. This is England's barber surgeons I'm talking about. The Feldscher ended in Prussia about 1800, I believe, but continued in Eastern Russia, and still exist today. They are pretty low in the echelon of military medicine.

There is an online book about a Feldscher that worked until 1738 that I am currently reading. It is in German and in old script, and that script is blurry, but I will muddle through it. I don't think it will clear up any JTR stuff, but it is interesting.

Mike
                huh?

Comment

Hi,
                  the name comes from "Feldscherer":
                  "Feld" meaning (battle)field
                  "Scherer" meaning barber.

Christian

Comment

Hi Christian-

See- Chambers is NEVER wrong!!!

Love
                    Suz x

Comment

Some press cuttings

The Times, 3rd April, 1925. RUSSIAN WRITERS IN EXILE - IVAN BUNIN

Bunin is a bright-faced, slightly-built man of middle years; he looks as if he had lived with the moujiks a good deal, and has a reflection of the non-working peasant type - the village feldscher perhaps.

The Times, 15th May, 1956. OBITUARY - MR. A.A. FADEYEV, RUSSIAN NOVELIST AND CRITIC

Born near Moscow in 1901, the son of a feldscher (a semi-trained medical assistant), Alexander Alexandrovich Fadeyev passed his childhood in Vilna and his youth in the Urals.

The Times, 20th August, 1920. THE MURDER OF THE TSAR: THE CHIEF GAOLER

The origins of Yurofsky have been fully investigated. His parents and relatives -- all poor Jews -- remained in Siberia after the murder and his chief accomplices had fled from Ekaterinburg. He had been a watchmaker at Tomsk, scarcely able to make ends meet. He is next heard of in Ekaterinburg as a photographic dealer. When war came, he evaded service in the trenches by qualifying as a red-cross assistant (feldscher) and remained in Ekaterinburg.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Blimey Feldscher is well....not one down in todays Telegraph crossy!!
                        BUT that's what it means!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X