Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Edward Gibson

Hello all,

Has anyone either heard of, or have any information about a Mr. Edward Gibson..possibly a professional photographer?

I would be most obliged for any information about this man, pre 1890..or even after 1891. Thank you.

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Hi Phil,
    Did Edward Gibson live in London?

If you've got a bit more to go on (age in 1891, area) I'm happy to have a search for you.
    Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda View Post
      Hi Phil,
      Did Edward Gibson live in London?

If you've got a bit more to go on (age in 1891, area) I'm happy to have a search for you.
      Amanda
      Hello Amanda

Thank you. I do know that he probably did live in London in 1890. .due to an appearance against the accused Sir Thomas G A Freake at Westminster Police Court..involving stolen negative plates and a false telegram.
      Sir T.G.A.Freake was at this time .or just before, President of the Fulwell Cricket Club, which at that time was just inside the Teddington and Twickenham boundary but "affiliated" the area that in 1890 became known as Hampton Hill.

Many thanks

Phil
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
      Accountability? ....

Comment

Hi Phil

A quick look - this is Edward Cousens Gibson born in 1857, St Pancras, London. He was living in South Kensington in 1890, when he had his spat with Freake. Judging by the press coverage, this was the consequence of a love-triangle - Freake having effectively kidnapped and restrained Gibson in order to procure a number of letters from the lady in question and some photographic negatives [one can only speculate]

Perhaps his full name and birth date will help to discover a bit more about him. Sorry I don't have more time to help!

Comment

A little bit more -

Gibson married Agnes Scott in 1881 [Q4] - one child, a daughter Gladys is attested in the 1901 census.

In 1901, all three were living at 30 Carlisle Mews, Carlisle Place, a mere stone's throw from Westminster Cathedral; with a servant, Antonia Braner [nbs Germany]

In 1911, Gibson was boarding at 21 Shaftesbury Avenue.

He considered himself an actor, giving his profession as Actor in 1901 and Actor Manager in 1911

There is a death record from 1920 which is probably him.

Good luck with finding out more.

Comment

Hi Phil

Edward Cousens Gibson born Q1 1857 Pancras.
            Married Q4 1881 St Geo Hanover Sq Agnes Ellen Scott (I think).
            Described himself as an actor in 1901.
            In 1911 seems to be staying at premises connected with the Eccentric Club, though he gives his birthplace as Berkshire. Says he's an actor manager.
            He was in the London Gazette as a debtor in 1887.
            His stage name was Lyston Lyle. There is an obit for him Gloucestershire Echo Feb 21st 1920. If you PM me your latest email I'll send you the page and then you can try and snip it out.

Hope you're well, Phil.

Comment

Hi Sally

I'm glad you're on the same track as me.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                Hi Sally

I'm glad you're on the same track as me.
                Hi Robert

Yes, always reassuring to see that it isn't just me!

Interesting to learn Gibson's stage name. He comes across as an [ahem] 'flamboyant' character. Have you looked at the press from his 1890 spat with Freake at all? He wasn't very happy

I'm not surprised his wife booted him out [if indeed that is what occurred]

Comment

Hi Sally

I've only had a very brief look at the press. I started off thinking it might be an Arthur Augustus Milverton thing but realised it was just two lovesick twits.

Agnes was still with him in 1891 when they were visiting the Omerod family in Chichester. Maybe by 1911 she was fed up with him asking for a review every time he put his socks in the washing basket.

Comment

Last one...

There was also a notice of marriage for Gibson's marriage in the London Standard as follows:

GIBSON-SCOTT – October 24, at St Peter and St Edward’s
                    Westminster, by the Rev. Francis Kirk, Edward Cousens
                    Gibson Esq., of Queen Anne’s Mansion, to Agnes Ellen, widow
                    Of Charles Phillimore Scott, Esq., of Haywards-heath.

London Standard 28 October 1881

Comment

Hi Robert - apart from the Freake thing, not much - notice of marriage above; obit. which you've already mentioned; and an appearance at some sort of theatrical charity do under his stage name in 1896.

Of which the Freake debacle is by far the most entertaining

Comment

Yes, this was where Edward was living in 1881, with his mother and stepfather and brother and sister. For some reason on that census 30 years has been added to his mother's age, but it is obviously the right family.

Comment

Yes Sally, it's a pity duels were banned by 1890.

Comment

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

Comment

So there's a photograph of the man with the dodgy photographs?

Comment

Working...
                              X