Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where was White Street, Spitalfields?

Ladies/Gents,

Can anyone shine any light on this for me. Its taken from a Christening certificate, which took place in 1857 at St Matthias Church, Benthal Green, (I know he was born in Spitalfields). It appears to me to say White Street, but I cannot find any record of a White Street, in either Spitalfields or Bethnal Green. Does anyone have any idea where White Street was? I also know that in 1861/71 the family were living on Sheppard Street & Tenter Street, which were very near to White's Row Spitalfields. I've found a map of 1885 Spitalfields which has White's Row on it, could it be that in 1857 White's Row was called White Street?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PC2267; 03-16-2015, 09:29 AM.

Originally posted by PC2267 View Post
    Ladies/Gents,

Can anyone shine any light on this for me. Its taken from a Christening certificate, which took place in 1857 at St Matthias Church, Benthal Green, (I know he was born in Spitalfields). It appears to me to say White Street, but I cannot find any record of a White Street, in either Spitalfields or Bethnal Green. Does anyone have any idea where White Street was? I also know that in 1861/71 the family were living on Sheppard Street & Tenter Street, which were very near to White's Row Spitalfields.
    Hi PC,

There was a White Street in Stepney, now known as Vallance road.

Comment

Originally posted by Natasha View Post
      Hi PC,

There was a White Street in Stepney, now known as Vallance road.

Many thanks Natasha!!!!!

Vallance Road London E1 (Whitechapel), E2 (Bethnal Green). Designated part of the B108. Significant road running north-south from Bethnal Green Road to Whitechapel Road. Its southernmost section was called Baker's Row as far as the junction with Hanbury Street. It then continued northwards as Charles Street , New Charles Street , Wellington Street and White Street. Charles Street was later incorporated into Baker's Row when the latter was widened in the late 19th Century. Eventually, all the streets were renumbered and renamed Vallance Road on 21st January 1896. It was named after W. Vallance, clerk to the Metropolitan Board of Guardians.

I assume that the whole area has been redeveloped since then, so there's nothing of 1857 White Street to see?

Comment

Originally posted by PC2267 View Post
        Many thanks Natasha!!!!!

Vallance Road London E1 (Whitechapel), E2 (Bethnal Green). Designated part of the B108. Significant road running north-south from Bethnal Green Road to Whitechapel Road. Its southernmost section was called Baker's Row as far as the junction with Hanbury Street. It then continued northwards as Charles Street , New Charles Street , Wellington Street and White Street. Charles Street was later incorporated into Baker's Row when the latter was widened in the late 19th Century. Eventually, all the streets were renumbered and renamed Vallance Road on 21st January 1896. It was named after W. Vallance, clerk to the Metropolitan Board of Guardians.

I assume that the whole area has been redeveloped since then, so there's nothing of 1857 White Street to see?
        Hi PC,

It is a shame that Whitechapel is changing, but here is a link that might cheer you up in regards to Vallance Road. This site has some great info and pics of other parts of Whitechapel as well:

Comment

Just to narrow it down, White Street ran between Cheshire Street and Bethnal Green Road.

MrB

Comment

White Street, Spitalfields
            Whites Row, the western continuation of Fashion Street,
            is shown on the various Horwood maps as White Street.

Comment

It was Whites Row on both the 1851 & 1861 censuses, and White Row according to Roque in the 1740's.

White Street, Bethnal Green, was very close to St Matthias' Church, and also to the boundary with Spitalfields.

Comment

Working...
              X