Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by David Orsam 35 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by David Orsam 38 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by David Orsam 40 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by John Wheat 2 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by caz 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Scene of the Crimes: Miller's Court Demolition Photo - (22 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (16 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (15 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (13 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: ORIGINAL doors in Miller's court - (4 posts)
Maybrick, James: Who was the author of the 'Maybrick' diary? Some options. - (4 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Witnesses

Old 09-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Premium Member
Chief Inspector

Default Caroline Maxwell - where did she live?

In the reported inquest testimony of Kelly, Caroline Maxwell's address is given as follows:-
Caroline Maxewell, 14, Dorset-street
However, in the interview below, which I don't remember seeing before, Maxwell states that she and her husband lived at 26 Dorset Street, i.e. in the same building as Kelly.
I am not quite sure of the full meaning of her statement regarding Barnett:
"I didn't know then that she had separated from the man she had been living with, and I thought he had been 'paying' her."
Is this an acknowledgement that Maxwell knew she was an "unfortunate"? If so, what is she implying about Barnett's relationship with her?
Chris

Birmingham Daily Post
12 November 1888
Attached Images

Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Commisioner

Hi Chris,

Dorset Street's properties were numbered consecutively along the south [Lodging House] side from west to east (1-20) and back along the north [Millers Court] side from east to west (21-39).

Maxwell said she lived "next door". Next door to what?

So I think it's poor punctuation, and the sentence should read—

Mrs Maxwell, the wife of the deputy of a lodging house in Dorset Street ("I assist my husband in his duties, but we live next door") situate just opposite the court where Mary Kelly lived at 26 Dorset Street, said to a Central News reporter . . . ."

Regards,

Simon
Old 09-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Chief Inspector

Yes Simon

I think Maxwell is saying that her husband worked as a deputy manager at Crossinghams across Dorset Street from the court and that she and he lived next door to Crossinghams.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Commisioner

So what are "the horrors"? I always thought it was what we used to call the "Hiram Walker flu" around here. If that was the case though then why would someone advise one with that affliction to drink even more?

Stan Reid
Old 09-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Sergeant

Hi Stan,
It's an old East End saying,that was still in use up to the 50's on a regular basis....it is referred to as "having surcumed to the horrors of drink"...having allowed the"demon" drink,to get you drunk.

My nan used to use it to my grandad,when he rolled in blind drunk,having somehow found his way back from the pub....and he used to try to sneak in,when my nan was in the kitchen and he knew she couldn't see him in the hall...or so he thought!!!!!!..she didn't have to see him,believe me...you could smell the staggering brewery from miles off. he was quite a character....she'd shout "Fred.....You got the horrors???"
(I used to laugh as a kid,as I'd already run out to the hall as he put his key in the lock....clumsily)....as he used to go without saying a word.

Best Regards,
ANNA.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Sergeant

Yep, that's the one, anna! 'Succumbed to the horrors of drink'...that's priceless As for why someone would recommend a quick beer: it's the good old hair of the dog, Stan. In the absence of the McHangover Cure, getting a bit bladdered all over again is the best approach to a raging headache

claire
Old 09-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Commisioner

Yes, that's what I thought it was, that is, the "Hiram Walker flu". I always thought "hair of the dog" was for the headache. It seems to me that drinking more would only make you sicker to your stomach if that was your problem. Whatever, I haven't ever tried it and don't plan to. The world has enough drunks already.

Stan Reid
Old 09-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Stan

That hair of the dog thing seems to work for alcoholics, but not for anyone else. I had a boss once when I was young who would drink until he passed out, and then would take a drink when he woke up to feel better. One suspects it was about getting the alcohol level up again. He's one reason I don't drink much. We (my friends and I) would see him do this on occasion when we had all-night card games. He would just conk out.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-18-2008, 03:30 AM
Casebook Supporter

Evening All

The following is the virtually verbatim report that appeared in the Daily Telegraph, 12th Nov.1888:

Mrs. Maxwell, who lives at 14, Dorset-street, but who assists her husband in the care of a common lodging house opposite Miller-court, says: “We stay up all night, and yesterday (Friday) as I was going home, carrying my lantern and other things with me, I saw the woman Kelly standing at the entrance of the court. It was then half-past eight, and as it was unusual for her to be seen about at that hour, I said to her, ‘Hallo! what are you doing up so early?’ She said, ‘Oh, I’m very bad this morning. I have had the horrors. I have been drinking so much lately.’ I said to her, ‘Why don’t you go and have half a pint of beer. It will put you right.’ She replied, ‘I’ve just had one, but I’m so bad I couldn’t keep it down.’ I didn’t know then that she had separated from the man she had been living with, and I thought he had been ‘paying’ her. I then went out in the direction of Bishopsgate to do some errands, and on my return I saw Kelly standing outside the public-house talking to a man. That was the last I saw of her.”

The almost identical wording in different newspapers on the same day seems to suggest that this report possibly originated from a news agency; although the differing description of Maxwell’s residence in the Birmingham Daily Post does seem a little disconcerting.

However, given the consistency of address, given as 14 Dorset St., in both her statement to police on 9th Nov. 1888 and at the inquest on 12th Nov. 1888, as well as in main newspaper reports, I feel 14 Dorset St. is probably a pretty safe bet as the actual residence of Caroline Maxwell

Best Wishes
alex chisholm
Old 09-19-2008, 01:48 AM
Chief Inspector

Part of the hangover experience for heavy drinkers is the withdrawal. The 'hair of the dog' is, as the Good Mike suggests, to get the alcohol-stream back up. To get a fix in other words.