Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Value of a lie - by harry 10 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Sam Flynn 18 minutes ago.
Witnesses: The Bucks Row Project part 2 - by Elamarna 1 hour and 22 minutes ago.
Notable Persons: Robert Paul - by FrankO 2 hours ago.
Witnesses: Value of a lie - by Elamarna 2 hours ago.
General Discussion: What Would It Take To Convince You? - by Trevor Marriott 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (44 posts)
General Police Discussion: Leaving one's beat - (26 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (22 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Was Annie Chapman a rotund woman? - (17 posts)
Witnesses: Value of a lie - (14 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Bloodhounds - (11 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Media > Books > Non-Fiction

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #401  
Old 08-05-2017, 10:34 AM
c.d. c.d. is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,374
Default

Hello Robert,

You are right. Rather than unique I probably should have said quite rare or something to that affect. Your point is well made.

I did get a laugh with your reference to some Autumn conference in Whitechapel in 1888.

c.d.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #402  
Old 08-06-2017, 04:14 AM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
David,

I've just finished reading your articles and I'm afraid that you've erred.

You have fallen into the trap of employing meticulous and exhaustive research. You've strangely chosen to use reason and logic in your work and you have foolishly avoided flights of fancy and leaps of faith. Also, for some reason you appear unwilling to see mystery where none exists.

You will never get to the truth using those methods Mr Orsam.
Yeah, thing is I love a good conspiracy theory as much as anyone, with the emphasis on the word good.

I at least expect to be told what the conspiracy involved and shown how it could have been possible. A little bit of evidence in support is nice too.
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #403  
Old 08-06-2017, 04:22 AM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,613
Default

Now come on guys, your attempts to identify the five murderers have been woeful. This is Deconstructing Jack we are talking about here so keep in mind the motto: FACTS NOT FICTION.

You guys have been doing fiction.

Here are the facts:

Nichols - Neil, Mizen and Thain (the blackmailing police gang)
Chapman - Ted Stanley a.k.a Colonel Hughes Hallett
Stride - Unfortunate shaving accident
Eddowes - John Kelly and Emily Birrell
Kelly - Robert Anderson and the Special Branch Hit Squad

I know the last one is a fact because a man in a pub who works for MI5, or was it the SAS? (I can't quite remember), told me in complete confidence although, oddly, he was tugging away at my right trouser leg at the time - a pity because my left trouser leg had some bells sewn into the seam and would have made a nice jingly sound.
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #404  
Old 08-06-2017, 04:27 AM
Herlock Sholmes Herlock Sholmes is online now
Sergeant
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: The West Midlands
Posts: 563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
Yeah, thing is I love a good conspiracy theory as much as anyone, with the emphasis on the word good.

I at least expect to be told what the conspiracy involved and shown how it could have been possible. A little bit of evidence in support is nice too.
David

I was definately expecting conspirators to be named and who did what to whom and when and not just to be told that I was a stereotypical Ripperologist irrevocably wedded to the 'obviously' incorrect notion that there was a homicidal maniac at work in Whitechapel in 1888. I also found it more than a little strange that someone could try to hint that the worlds most obvious suicide was a murder! Or that someone doing a bit of am-dram might want Edward Stanley as his next role or that he'd fancy a time in a flea-bitten dosshouse with the 'hardly Keira Knightly' Annie Chapman. Maybe we expect too much?

Anyway I'm just about to start reading a book on The Islington Murder. I hope that this Barrat bloke does his research

Regards

Herlock
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #405  
Old 08-06-2017, 04:28 AM
Herlock Sholmes Herlock Sholmes is online now
Sergeant
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: The West Midlands
Posts: 563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
Now come on guys, your attempts to identify the five murderers have been woeful. This is Deconstructing Jack we are talking about here so keep in mind the motto: FACTS NOT FICTION.

You guys have been doing fiction.

Here are the facts:

Nichols - Neil, Mizen and Thain (the blackmailing police gang)
Chapman - Ted Stanley a.k.a Colonel Hughes Hallett
Stride - Unfortunate shaving accident
Eddowes - John Kelly and Emily Birrell
Kelly - Robert Anderson and the Special Branch Hit Squad

I know the last one is a fact because a man in a pub who works for MI5, or was it the SAS? (I can't quite remember), told me in complete confidence although, oddly, he was tugging away at my right trouser leg at the time - a pity because my left trouser leg had some bells sewn into the seam and would have made a nice jingly sound.
Forget the book on 80's pop music David, you've hit on a winner there!

Herlock
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #406  
Old 08-06-2017, 04:39 AM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
David

I was definately expecting conspirators to be named and who did what to whom and when and not just to be told that I was a stereotypical Ripperologist irrevocably wedded to the 'obviously' incorrect notion that there was a homicidal maniac at work in Whitechapel in 1888. I also found it more than a little strange that someone could try to hint that the worlds most obvious suicide was a murder! Or that someone doing a bit of am-dram might want Edward Stanley as his next role or that he'd fancy a time in a flea-bitten dosshouse with the 'hardly Keira Knightly' Annie Chapman. Maybe we expect too much?
I don't think you expected too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
Anyway I'm just about to start reading a book on The Islington Murder. I hope that this Barrat bloke does his research
You expect too much!!!
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #407  
Old 08-06-2017, 04:41 AM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
Forget the book on 80's pop music David, you've hit on a winner there!
I might try and work it into the book on 80s pop music. Double the potential readership. It can't fail!
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #408  
Old 08-06-2017, 09:50 AM
Robert Robert is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,635
Default

David since you are writing a book on 80s pop music, I am posting an example. Hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQcFjy0zzQE
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #409  
Old 08-06-2017, 10:00 AM
Simon Wood Simon Wood is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,186
Default

__________________
Fidiamo in Legno.
http://deconstructingjack.net/
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #410  
Old 08-06-2017, 10:26 AM
John G John G is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.d. View Post
Hello Robert,

You are right. Rather than unique I probably should have said quite rare or something to that affect. Your point is well made.

I did get a laugh with your reference to some Autumn conference in Whitechapel in 1888.

c.d.
Hi c.d.,

What are your observations on Ellen Bury, Alice Mackenzie and Mary Ann Austin?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.