Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripper Walks and Tours

Hi to all of you

I live on the other side of the world. I hope to come to London in Sept. I participated in a JTR walk in 92. I want to do the JTR walk again when i nextvisit London. Any suggestions?

Hi d.a.
    You 'participated' in a JTR walk did you.....that must have been fun!!!!
    I suggest re tours you contact Philip (George) Hutchinson.

Hi Mont- I agree....a walk up 'the markets' on a Sunday morning still gives you that frisson with a slight edge of aprehension.... and if you take the time (hang on to your handbag though!) look up at the tops of the houses where little has changed at times... Wonderful!
    (Note to self......MUST get this book!!!! albeit the rare unsigned copy!)

Suz x
    Last edited by Suzi; 02-20-2008, 02:27 PM.
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Hi D.A.
      Contact Philip Hutchinson, as he is the number one guy.
      Don't waste time with a ripper walk book, or a map, the worst thing is to walk around looking like a tourist (kinda like what i did!)

There are plenty of books with maps available but nothing beats ahaving a guide!

I got lost twice and ended up at White Hart Pub twice after going round in a huge circle!

Suzi, i don't have a signed copy either
      Last edited by Mike Covell; 02-20-2008, 02:40 PM. Reason: spelling
      Regards Mike

Comment

He he Mike
        Think at the next Conf we need a sort of JTR Antiques Road/Court show to sell these rare items!!!!
        Mind you as to walking around unguided....Ive done that years ago and it took a long time to realise that I'd been looking at stuff and didn't realise what it was.....Of course when you get told off for wandering down that what was Dorset St you get a certain kudos!!! Suz x
        Last edited by Suzi; 02-20-2008, 03:35 PM.

Comment

I got accosted by Police Officers watching the School kids leaving!
          They wanted to know why I had a camera near a school!!!

I joked and asked "where were you two 120 years ago!!"

They looked at me odd and i walked off and left em to it!

I hope to return when i am better.

Mike
          Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
            I hope to return when i am better.

Mike
            Just what JTR said, Mike. Damn those voices!

PHILIP
            Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

I hoope you're still doing the walks a year from this May. I can't wait to visit. We're doing a self drive vacation through England and Ireland. I can get a lot of geneaology done when I'm there too. I'm looking forward to the walk though.

BK
              "Truth only reveals itself when one gives up all preconceived ideas. ~Shoseki

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Blimey you dont get much 'better' than Millers Ct though!!!! Had a major 'provider' disappearance today.....back now but even slower than ever! LOL
                Crikey BK a self drive through Britain and Ireland 'eh...............Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm we did a drive around Ireland last year and .......well it does take some time!!!! will gladly give you some routes etc though!
                Last edited by Suzi; 02-21-2008, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	galway.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	652552 Here's the lovely Galway.......a MUST see but a LOT of driving!

Comment

How many people typically go on these walks during the summer? Also, what night of the week would they be least crowded?

Comment

Depends on the company you're going with. The guys I work for limit the group sizes to about 35, and you have to book in advance on-line or on the phone - the people Don Rumbelow works for take all comers and you can have well over 100 in a group (which means, of course, you never get off the main roads into the alleyways as such). If you go with any of the other companies, you can have anything from 5-50 in a group but beware - most of them are crap and know nothing.

Obviously, the least crowded nights are weekdays (except Fridays).

PHILIP

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                        Depends on the company you're going with. The guys I work for limit the group sizes to about 35, and you have to book in advance on-line or on the phone
                        I'll be in London the third week of June (15 through 18 June). How far in advance do I need to book online, and what is the website?

Any chance that Mr. Hutchinson himself might be conducting a tour on one of those nights?

Thanks,

Bulldog

Comment

Have a Google for the company by feeding in JACK THE RIPPER TOUR RICHARD JONES and it should take you to the company site. There should be an enquiries link - tell 'em when you'll be in town and that you want me as a guide! It's not too devious as Richard reads this site (he's my boss).

PHILIP

Comment

oh AWESOME, then when I take the self drive through England and Ireland, may I do the same thing?
                            "Truth only reveals itself when one gives up all preconceived ideas. ~Shoseki

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                              Have a Google for the company by feeding in JACK THE RIPPER TOUR RICHARD JONES and it should take you to the company site. There should be an enquiries link - tell 'em when you'll be in town and that you want me as a guide! It's not too devious as Richard reads this site (he's my boss).

PHILIP
                              Will do. I'll be in touch by private message beforehand.

Thanks,

Bulldog

Comment

Working...
                              X