Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Robert St Devil 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Robert St Devil 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Sam Flynn 4 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Abby Normal 4 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Abby Normal 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (38 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Thompson, Francis

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #221  
Old 11-21-2017, 06:06 PM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Patterson View Post
Out of the more than 100 Ripper suspects ever named, only one can be shown to have had a knife at the time of the murders, where they occurred - Francis Thompson. In 1888, he was a mentally ill, drug addicted man who carried a razor- sharp dissecting knife, kept from his years of studying medicine. He had already been in trouble with the police and had a history of arson, theft, and mutilating. His sole purpose for living in the Providence Row refuge, less than 100 yards from where Jack the Ripper victim, Mary Kelly, was killed was to find a prostitute who had humiliated him. He had already written about ripping their stomachs open.

But don't worry about any of that because it all comes down to interpreting his poetry.
It comes down to he has absolutely no connection to the ripper murders whatsoever, either as a suspect, person of interest, witness or even peripheral character, like so many after the fact modern “suspects”.

But I guess he may have been in the area, so at least he’s got that going for him.

But a very interesting character, that’s for sure.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 11-22-2017, 12:19 AM
Richard Patterson Richard Patterson is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
It comes down to he has absolutely no connection to the ripper murders whatsoever, either as a suspect, person of interest, witness or even peripheral character, like so many after the fact modern “suspects”.

But I guess he may have been in the area, so at least he’s got that going for him.

But a very interesting character, that’s for sure.
No contemporary suspects had any connection to the murders. Which is why none were charged. The Ripper was not caught because nobody was found to have any real connection to the murders.

Thompson, unlike most suspects, was said to be in the area. His editor, who rescued him from the streets days after the murder of Mary Kelly, held a keen interest in the Ripper murders, and discussed them with dignitaries. Thompson's biographer John Walsh believed Thompson may have been questioned by the police on suspicion that he was the Ripper.

These things, as well as him resembling several eye-witness descriptions of the Ripper makes him more connected to the murders than most of the other 100 suspects.
__________________
Author of

"Jack the Ripper, The Works of Francis Thompson"

http://www.francisjthompson.com/
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 11-24-2017, 05:40 PM
SuspectZero SuspectZero is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: New York City
Posts: 217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Patterson View Post
Out of the more than 100 Ripper suspects ever named, only one can be shown to have had a knife at the time of the murders, where they occurred - Francis Thompson. In 1888, he was a mentally ill, drug addicted man who carried a razor- sharp dissecting knife, kept from his years of studying medicine. He had already been in trouble with the police and had a history of arson, theft, and mutilating. His sole purpose for living in the Providence Row refuge, less than 100 yards from where Jack the Ripper victim, Mary Kelly, was killed was to find a prostitute who had humiliated him. He had already written about ripping their stomachs open.

But don't worry about any of that because it all comes down to interpreting his poetry.
Hi Richard,
Love your research on Francis Thompson. All well done. However one thing that is not correct, is your statement above. There was another suspect who admits to carrying around a knife at the time of the murders and in the neighborhood of the crimes - George R. Sims (yes he was a suspect), in a story by Percy Cross Standing for Cassell’s Magazine.

Last edited by SuspectZero : 11-24-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 11-25-2017, 12:42 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,865
Default

It says something about how we go about trying to solve the case when it becomes a core issue whether somebody had access to a knife or not. 99 per cent of the grown population did.
If we could establish the exact type of knife the Ripper used, then it could be useful to look at who carried such a knife along with himself - but we don´t know these things in any detail either.
Thompson was in the habit at some stage of carrying a scalpel along with himself, I believe - and correct me if that is wrong, Richard, please! - and a scalpel tallies poorly with the weapon that killed Chapman, for example, just as it is a bad fit for the Nichols murder too, I believe.
But that is somewhat beside the point, since I am sure that Thompson too could well have had access to for example a kitchen knife.

If Thompson - or any other suspect - had been known to wield his blade ferociously in public, it would become another story, of course. But this is not the case.

All in all, I don´t think that accessibility to an appropriate weapon poses any obstacle at all to any suspect at all, and consequently, I fail to see why a proven accesibility would make for any useful evidence at all. A drastic comparison would be how all of the suspects carried hands, and so either one of them could have strangled or partially strangled the victims.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 11-25-2017, 12:48 AM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuspectZero View Post
Hi Richard,
Love your research on Francis Thompson. All well done. However one thing that is not correct, is your statement above. There was another suspect who admits to carrying around a knife at the time of the murders and in the neighborhood of the crimes - George R. Sims (yes he was a suspect), in a story by Percy Cross Standing for Cassell’s Magazine.
Or Richardson sitting on hi# back step

Or Kelly

Or ......

Probably any number of other possibles.
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 11-25-2017, 12:49 AM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,173
Default

Or probably Cross even, most Carmen appear to have.
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 11-25-2017, 03:48 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Patterson View Post
No contemporary suspects had any connection to the murders. Which is why none were charged. The Ripper was not caught because nobody was found to have any real connection to the murders.

Thompson, unlike most suspects, was said to be in the area. His editor, who rescued him from the streets days after the murder of Mary Kelly, held a keen interest in the Ripper murders, and discussed them with dignitaries. Thompson's biographer John Walsh believed Thompson may have been questioned by the police on suspicion that he was the Ripper.

These things, as well as him resembling several eye-witness descriptions of the Ripper makes him more connected to the murders than most of the other 100 suspects.
Having a connection to the case and being caught are two very obviously different things. FT has zero connection to the case except for one of the seemingly infinite of after the fact pet theories.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 11-25-2017, 05:59 AM
Harry D Harry D is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
It says something about how we go about trying to solve the case when it becomes a core issue whether somebody had access to a knife or not. 99 per cent of the grown population did. .
The fact you even had to point this out is a damning indictment of Ripper suspectology.
__________________
Hail to the king, baby!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 11-25-2017, 08:46 AM
SuspectZero SuspectZero is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: New York City
Posts: 217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
Or Richardson sitting on hi# back step

Or Kelly

Or ......

Probably any number of other possibles.
ah, yes! You're correct. I forgot him.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 11-25-2017, 08:47 AM
SuspectZero SuspectZero is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: New York City
Posts: 217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
The fact you even had to point this out is a damning indictment of Ripper suspectology.
Valid point. Although to be fair, I think if you can make a case of circumstantial evidence (more than just being in possession of a knife) + being on the radar of police of the time, that should qualify someone to be considered a valid suspect.

Last edited by SuspectZero : 11-25-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.