Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 2 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by jerryd 2 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by jerryd 6 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 11 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by jerryd 26 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by jerryd 41 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (57 posts)
Non-Fiction: Scholes of the Yard: The Casebook of a Scotland Yard Detective 1888 to 1924 - (3 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (1 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Bucks Row Project - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Pub Talk

Old 03-13-2016, 09:08 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Default Donald Trump

I have always considered Donald Trump to be a loud mouthed, obnoxious, buffoon and I would never consider voting for him. But I did watch him speak at a recent rally and I do understand his appeal for certain people. He is entertaining, I will give him that. And he says what he thinks which is refreshing. The comparisons to Hitler were kind of scary however.

c.d.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:25 AM
Assistant Commissioner

As an outsider (a Brit) i understand exactly what you mean, he has charisma that is certain, but he comes across as uneducated, or perhaps its just ignorant on many issues.

unfortunately this is what you get with the American system, ability to do a job comes second to the ability to fund a campaign.
It never ceases to amaze me that it appears to be impossible to stand for the highest officer unless your are you disgustingly wealthy.

Thats just the the view of An Outsider, with no wish to offend either party in the USA.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:50 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Feel free to offend both parties. They both deserve it.

c.d.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:18 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Outsider here, too. (Canadian)

My problem is that Cruz scares me as much as Trump.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:07 AM
Detective

I LOVE offending both parties at every possible moment but that's neither here nor there. Trump is an ass-hat. Though I think social media and so many news outlets writing off his voters and rally attendees as just racists or fascists is a mistake and a fairly large one. Yes, he has more than his fair share of those idiots but he appeals very much to the blue collar segments, his speeches focus heavily on trade and reviving industries that are still dragging or being shipped out of the US. Much of the blue collar segment is still having a pretty rough time and are aware that another downturn is coming. The main arms of both the Dems and Reps have pretty much ignored them for a good while when it comes to policies and only give them lip service when its election time.
Sanders should have made a much stronger play for that group, instead of focusing on college and farther left areas as much as he has. Those groups would have listened to him anyway, he could have eased off them and shifted focus to blue collar earlier.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:44 AM
Commisioner

I have never been for Trump (the guys I'm for keep dropping out) but it is funny to see how the Democrats are cowed by him.

Stan Reid
Old 03-13-2016, 02:32 PM
Chief Inspector

I wouldn't say that Hillary and Sanders are cowed by Trump. As far as I can see they've pretty well ignored him up to now. (I'm Aussie but love the political process so have been watching closely on Sky, CNN and yes, Fox!) Whether Sanders will continue to ignore the Donald after being accused of encouraging supporters to disrupt his rallies is debatable, though!

I think Trump does speak to a section of blue collar workers who've been ignored by the elite. Whether he'll be able to bring manufacturing back to the US from China if he ever gets into the White House is another matter. His speeches often seem to be a mix of broad generalisations, incoherent sentences and slogans. You can certainly say he's entertaining though, and like Sanders, seems to have brought a new demographic out to vote who usually stay home. Has he gone too far though? Super Tuesday should be very interesting.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:46 PM
Commisioner

I saw a comment the other day.

Quote:
America

You think this is an election.

It's not.

It's an IQ test.

You are failing badly.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:49 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.d. View Post
The comparisons to Hitler were kind of scary however.
...they even share a fetish for precariously-sloping hair!

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 03-13-2016, 03:44 PM
Detective

Trump is boorish and obnoxious, there's no disputing that. He's not someone I'd care to have in my home, or to meet on a social occasion, but I'll be voting for him this coming Tuesday*. Trump is an unabashed nationalist, and elevates doing what's best for America over philosophical principles such as free trade or human rights. I absolutely love that he holds political correctness in contempt, and will say what he thinks regardless of how desperately people try to shame him into silence. I feel safe as well in that he's rich enough that no-one can buy him.

I'll admit also to a certain amount of childish glee watching the career politicians and professional analysts try to figure out why he's succeeding when he's not campaigning on the issues they want to promote, and completely failing to see the forest for the trees.

* I feel vaguely guilty about this, as I live in Ohio, and have twice campaigned for John Kasich, who is an outstanding governor, and whom I'd be backing for President if not for Trump.