Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is There More To Bond's Death Than Meets The Eye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
    Thank you so, so much, Debra.

So he did go off overseas before the next census and I was looking in the A-Z under Hibbert! How stupid! It seems Dr Hebbert was a demonstrator of anatomy at the Westminster Hospital in 1889 and in private practice in Nottingham in 1892. A professor in Montreal, very swank! He didn't marry apparently, and died in Melbourne. A small world!
    You're welcome Rosella. He did marry twice. Once in England in 1883 to Helen Dilke and later in Canada, which is the record I mentioned I posted earlier. It's somewhere on the boards, though goodness knows where!

Comment

I am just posting a couple of records to show why I concluded this was Hebbert despite the 5/6 year age discrepancy in the Seamans' record.

Here is Hebbert's christening record, giving his date of birth as 24th June 1856 in Edgebaston, Birmingham.

Here is the Seaman record giving his date of birth as 24th June 1862 in Birmingham.

Plus, he is the spit of the young Hebbert's photograph published in the A to Z.

Comment

I couldn't find Hebbert's marriage signature I previously posted for handwriting comparison a couple of years back but here is Hebbert's signature from his Freedom of the City admission papers 1885:

Comment

Fascinating, Debra. Thank you, very, very much. This will teach me to be more creative if I research names! His death in a hotel made me think that he was single. Maybe he was a widower from his second marriage at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
            I did think of hearing aid, but would not expect it to go around his neck, it looks like it is goes right around.
            Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. I tend to think GUT was closest with the monocle, especially given the way Hebbart's eyes sort of pop out at you in the photo - in fact, it might be pince-nez. The problem with the idea of the hearing aid is that if it was a wiring device for such it would be linked to some item in a shirt or suit pocket.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
              Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. I tend to think GUT was closest with the monocle, especially given the way Hebbart's eyes sort of pop out at you in the photo - in fact, it might be pince-nez. The problem with the idea of the hearing aid is that if it was a wiring device for such it would be linked to some item in a shirt or suit pocket.

Jeff

When I said glasses I was thinking pince-nez, but couldn't think of the name
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

He does seem to be thrusting his head forward a little, suggestive of a man with eyesight problems, but I'm no Sherlock Holmes.

Comment

Thanks Debra for the info and pic of Hebbert.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                    He does seem to be thrusting his head forward a little, suggestive of a man with eyesight problems, but I'm no Sherlock Holmes.
                    Hi Robert,

If he was having eyesight problems, I hope he was slowly easing himself away from his profession of being a surgeon.

Jeff

Comment

Good point Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                        Very interesting, Natasha. I wonder where he is in the 1891 Census and the ones following?
                        I forgot to mention Hebbert was in Nottingham by April 1891. They're down as 'Hobbert'!

Comment

At this rate he'll be The Hobbit.

Comment

Insomnia is a one way street to hallucinations. It isn't a case of he might get it. It's when. Plenty of examples of people suffering from hallucinations killing themselves accidentally by jumping off something high. People who have survived claim they just felt invincible at the time, not that they wanted to hurt themselves.
                            Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

Hallo,

I realize that this may seem like a crazy idea to many, but has Dr Bond ever been considered as a suspect? Or if not directly involved as someone who could have been part of a wider conspiracy? Clearly he had medical knowledge and his opinions, that none of the 1888 murders demonstrated even a basic level of anatomical knowledge, seemed to be at variance with just about every other medical professional, i.e. Dr Phillips. Wasn't he also involved with the Thames Torso murders investigation? I mention that because it has recently been argued, on a another thread, that there is a possible link with the Torso and JtR murders.

And, of course, he committed suicide. I realize there is a simple explanation for this, but it obviously isn't unheard of for serial killers to ultimately take their own lives.

I also realize, of course, that he was a respected medical man, but I don't see why anyone should be ruled out just on that basis: Harold Shipman was also a highly respected medical professional at one time, as presumably was Dr Neill Cream. And, considering the number of suspects who have come under suspicion, why should medical professionals be given less consideration than, say, artists, businessmen, royals, or barristers?

I'm not suggesting that there is anything like significant evidence against him, but of course that applies to most suspects! I'm merely interested whether he has previously been considered or whether anyone considers him to be remotely credible as a suspect.

Comment

Oops!

Edit of duplicated post!
                                Last edited by John G; 03-14-2015, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X