No announcement yet.

Oh, Dear Boss...Ripperology and the Maybrick Diary and more Ripperology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes it was only a thought Paul had and I believe he admits it not a very likely one. Have you heard the episode, Chris?

JM

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
      As Michael Barrett soon discovered after coming into possession of the artifact known today as the "Maybrick Diary," when he ordered an authentic Victorian diary for comparison, such a diary is too small, and a larger format book was needed to tell the story. Seen below is an image of the little red Victorian diary that Mike ordered in 1992 for comparison purposes. It's held in the hand of the M/C, the late lamented Jeremy Beadle at "The Trial of James Maybrick" at the Liverpool Cricket Club in May 2007. Photograph courtesy of Tony May.

What is written in the document allegedly written by James Maybrick is not a diary despite the designation it has been given since 1993 when Shirley Harrison published The Diary of Jack the Ripper.

Rather it is the melodramatic narrative of someone riffing off the Ripper case and trying to convince us that they were the Whitechapel Murderer.

Best regards

Chris

Okay, but wouldn't a typical Victorian diary have consisted of several volumes, with perhaps more than one volume for each year? In other words, why couldn't Maybrick have simply purchased more than one diary to record his experiences?
      Last edited by John G; 10-04-2017, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
        Okay, but wouldn't a typical Victorian diary have consisted of several volumes, with perhaps more than one volume for each year? In other words, why couldn't Maybrick have simply purchased more than one diary to record his experiences?
        Mostly because Maybrick didn't write it. The thing is bogus.
        Christopher T. George
        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
          Replying to Ally---

Paul suggests that the author/confessor might have torn out the pages of the memorial book that contained physical reminders of his happy marriage now long past.

But it was only a suggestion, and by now you've gone past that part of the show.

JM
          I hadn't gotten there yet, what part of MST3000 don't you get. Also, yeah, no. That's just bunk.

Let all Oz be agreed;
          I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
            Mostly because Maybrick didn't write it. The thing is bogus.
            Yes, I suppose there is that!

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
              This is fun, it's like MST 3000 for Rippercast.

Best Wishes,
              Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
                I hadn't gotten there yet, what part of MST3000 don't you get. Also, yeah, no. That's just bunk.
                I agree... half way thru my internet bugged out and I dropped off...listening to it last night I totally had the MST3K reaction...then again, I never was a big proponent of the Diary...I do admire the fact that it managed to last this long as a thing...but

I just wish you were there Ally...the only thing more fun then agreeing with you on a podcast is disagreeing with you!!! I hope you are there for the next round.

Steadmund Brand
                "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

There's nothing preventing you guys (and Ally) from recording yourselves talking back to the podcast as a commentary track. We won't respond though. If we do respond you should probably unplug your computer and run.

OoooWeeeOooo

JM

Comment

Excellent podcast Jonathan. Keep 'em coming

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
                      Oh, look! They're pointing out that the writing is faked.

A clear clumsy effort to duplicate the signature and style of Dear Boss.....
                      Christopher T. George
                      Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                      just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                      For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                      RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
                        There's nothing preventing you guys (and Ally) from recording yourselves talking back to the podcast as a commentary track. We won't respond though. If we do respond you should probably unplug your computer and run.

OoooWeeeOooo

JM
                        HAHAHAHHA... I just had this hilarious image of Ally and I doing a commentary track that gets funnier and funnier as time goes...and drinks empty.. then we start fighting over the best mixer with Vodka (Lime Juice Ally... drops the mic!!!!)

Steadmund Brand
                        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Working...
                        X