H.H. Holmes: The True History of the White City Devil- with Adam Selzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H.H. Holmes: The True History of the White City Devil- with Adam Selzer

This episode of Rippercast welcomes author Adam Selzer to the show to discuss his new book 'H.H. Holmes: The True History of the White City Devil'. His extensive and groundbreaking research into Herman Mudgett, alias H.H. Holmes, shatters myths and paints an entirely new picture of the life and legend of this most notorious American con man and murderer.
    With Paul Begg, Jon Rees and Ally Ryder

adamselzer.blogspot.com

mysteriouschicago.com

Available now to stream or download from the following link:

Also available to download or subscribe via the podcast app of your choice.

Thank you for listening!

JM
    Last edited by jmenges; 07-16-2017, 05:19 PM.

Another great show!!! Thank you so much for making me buy yet another book (GRRRRRRR.. going broke here)

Did you really have to go into Tumblety at the end...so sick of that guy hahaha

Steadmund Brand
    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post

Did you really have to go into Tumblety at the end...so sick of that guy hahaha
      I couldn't help it. You get the sense while reading the book that they had similar personalities and perhaps even the same sexual development disorder. Plus the shared locations and a Hal Caine connection.

I'm glad you liked the show.

JM

Comment

Loved it.. truth is I have been trying to find a connection between the two, as you said on the show it seems like they SHOULD have known each other....but I have been unable to come up with anything.... yet....not thru lack of trying mind you....
        Mudgett/Holmes had quite a fondness for women, and that alone would have been enough to really upset Tumblety and possibly prevent any sort of "friendship" between the two... plus, you know the old saying, you can't con a con man.... well...they would have been able to see right thru each other (I think), but who knows.....I may find something yet

Steadmund Brand
        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

And by the way Adam.. if you check these boards.. great job, book is ordered and can't wait to read it, I have a few of your books and have really enjoyed them ... in fact, kinda wanted to discuss one of them with you....( in my humble opinion) you were a bit unfair to Charles Comiskey (pre deadball era baseball is a passion of mine...thru deadball and of course the 1919 series... would love to discuss it with you if you had the chance....you can get my contact info from Jonathan if you like)

Steadmund Brand

Comment

Great podcast. You are right, Jonathan, about the complexity of the story. I listened to it via Audible, so there can be periodic distractions. Going through it a second time for better clarity of the many characters and their roles. Wouldn't bother if the book wasn't so well researched.

This book is the definitive reference on H.H. Holmes.
            Best Wishes,
            Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Working...
            X