Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Scene of the Crimes: Miller's Court Demolition Photo - by Robert St Devil 44 minutes ago.
Bury, W.H.: The Life of William Henry Bury - by phantom 45 minutes ago.
Bury, W.H.: Was William Bury a Mason? - by phantom 48 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: ORIGINAL doors in Miller's court - by Wickerman 1 hour and 24 minutes ago.
Scene of the Crimes: London slums. Reminiscent of Millers Court - by Ginger 2 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: ORIGINAL doors in Miller's court - by Wickerman 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Mary Jane Kelly: ORIGINAL doors in Miller's court - (16 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Miller's Court Demolition Photo - (10 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (6 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (4 posts)
General Discussion: A little assistance with a research project....... - (3 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: London slums. Reminiscent of Millers Court - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Media > Books > Non-Fiction

Old 03-16-2015, 07:37 AM
WWotW

Quote:
...and even moneymaking tales and the constant need to keep the status quo of "The Ripper and his story" afloat above all else for many years, from many sources. Simon Wood is unrepentant in his conclusions in finding these things.
And only $9.99 for a Kindle e-book! I do always love when anyone who is offering their work for an exorbitant price, be it Simon Wood or Patricia Cornwell, sneers at Ripperology as a money making enterprise. Despite that, I look forward to reading the book, when I can get it second hand or bootlegged of course, so Simon won't be tainted by my grubby money.

Let all Oz be agreed;
I'm Wicked through and through.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:10 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
And only $9.99 for a Kindle e-book! I do always love when anyone who is offering their work for an exorbitant price, be it Simon Wood or Patricia Cornwell, sneers at Ripperology as a money making enterprise. Despite that, I look forward to reading the book, when I can get it second hand or bootlegged of course, so Simon won't be tainted by my grubby money.

Is $10 dollars exorbitant? I thought it very reasonable, considering how much some authors charge. I'm sure it will be worth every penny and after Phil's excellent review I am even more looking forward to reading it :-)
Old 03-16-2015, 12:22 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Sumner View Post
Is $10 dollars exorbitant? I thought it very reasonable, considering how much some authors charge. I'm sure it will be worth every penny and after Phil's excellent review I am even more looking forward to reading it :-)
It is excellent! Be prepared to read it over a few times. Simon's knowledge of the case is much deeper than my own so it took some time to digest. I'm just glad he shared all his research with us.

Thanks Simon!

JerryD
Old 03-16-2015, 01:22 PM
Detective

After such a glowing review I could not help myself but purchase it. If him not mistaken the $9.99 price is reduced from when what it was originally listed it. At that price point it is hard to not impulse buy.

I am about halfway through JTR At Last and will be looking forward to this one when its done. Now if only Monty would get a Kindle version of his book.

Whenever I finish the book (who knows how long that will be as I usually read multiple things at one time in diferent genres) I will write a review too. In the meantime I hope others will review it as well.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmenges View Post
Thanks for the review, Phil.

I'm about half way through and really enjoying it. The section on Lees was great. I am reading stuff in this I have never, ever, read in a Ripper book before. Simon has given us a great present with this one.

JM

Hello JM, all,

Forgive me for quoting from your posting JM, but I thought I would let the book have time to sink in a little, and possibly be reread.

Having just completed my 4th reading of this book. I have to agree with both yourself and Jerryd that it is indeed an excellent book. As I wrote earlier, in all honesty, this book is most thought provoking. Because of the nature of the book, it attacks certain elements of theory that has become "written in stone" over many years. That being the nature of the beast, this will attract criticism from some and there may perhaps even be attempts to "label" the true meaning of the book.

As the author points out at the start, he is not a conspiracist and is not promoting the kind of conspiracy often linked with this subject. However, a true understanding of the book shows the behind the scenes actions and reactions amongst those heavily involved at the highest level. The clear picture of the individual in fighting and the lengths gone to to maintain a jockeyed position comes through alarmingly clearly, as does the continual methodology used since in keeping the "original story" in the spotlight whilst playing down or even diverting away any inkling of anything untoward having been done by any of those involved in the hierarchy of the police force of the time.

This may cause controversy in some staid quarters. For the idea that any wheel should fall off the ripperological bandwagon will upset the long promoted "status quo". This the author shows and explains most clearly as well. Mr Wood is unafraid to attack this element too.

This book is serious. Easily one of the best books ever written on the subject. .and in a cast of hundreds, the book can be seen as a breakthrough book revealing a much needed breath of fresh air.

People need to buy and read this book. It is important. Only once in a very long while does a book of this sort appear. An open minded reader will see the true value and meaning of the written words presented. Without fear of labelling the author or his work conspiratorial in any way. He is presenting facts and occurrences that needed to be seen in their true light. Not hidden behind the all too often seen cover of defending the given status quo of the tale of "Jack" and his pursuers.

Thought provoking and seriously original IMHO.

Phil

Justice for the 96 = achieved
Accountability? ....
Old 04-04-2015, 07:33 AM
Commisioner

The fact 'said quarters' have kept their counsel, unlike they have with the recent Edwards episode, kinda pooh-poohs the suggestion that there is a fear of wheel failure.

Interesting book, as one should expect from Simon.

Monty

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622
Old 04-04-2015, 07:50 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
The fact 'said quarters' have kept their counsel, unlike they have with the recent Edwards episode, kinda pooh-poohs the suggestion that there is a fear of wheel failure.

Interesting book, as one should expect from Simon.

Monty
Hello Monty,

Indeed. Totally agree. For it could be argued, said quarters not keeping council could cause a detrimental effect on the loosening of said wheels. Wise choice.

And not everyone pooh poohed the Edwards effort straight away either. I note that both you and I did so right from the off though. See through that was.

Hope you are in good health. ☺

Phil

Accountability? ....
Old 04-04-2015, 07:57 AM
Commisioner

It was more an urging of caution with Edwards,

However, this is a different beast. Gladly Simon doesn't share his eating habits and what time he went to bed, and focuses on the business in hand.

Monty

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622
Old 04-04-2015, 08:34 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
It was more an urging of caution with Edwards,

However, this is a different beast.....

Monty
Hello Monty,

Indeed. Serious research. Serious book. Thought provoking and analytical. Without fear nor favour.

Phil

Accountability? ....
Old 04-24-2015, 10:23 AM
Commisioner

Hi All,

Deconstructing Jack, available at Amazon Kindle Stores, now sports a striking new cover, designed by Thomas Lee Communications - https://www.facebook.com/thosleecom

Name:  JACK COVER JPEG2 (495x640).jpg
Views: 639
Size:  110.9 KB

Regards,

Simon