Dr Sequira

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Sequira

I hope those of who watched the excellent new series of 'Casualty 1908' (Sundays BBC1) spotted Dr James Sequira? The series is a gritty medical drama set at the London Hospital in 1908 and all the staff and patients depicted were real.

Dr Sequira was in charge of the light therapy department and was treating a boy with an acute disfigouring condition.

I suspect however that Dr Sequira would have been somewhat older in 1908 than the actor who played him.

i had seen that and it was good to see him mentioned.
    i would liek to know more about this chap. do you know anything more about him.. He doesn't sound english does he?

Comment

Here ya go, Leighton...

Originally posted by Leighton Young View Post
      i would liek to know more about this chap. do you know anything more about him.. He doesn't sound english does he?
      Hi Leighton,

I found out the following before the Casebook server crash earlier this year:

The Sequeiras of London came from a long line of distinguished ancestors, many of them medical men (and women!). The source for much of this is mainly at this site, where by a bit of linguistic guesswork and Babelfishing I tried to reconstruct the narrative contained on that website.

The Sequeira (originally "Sequerra") family originated in Faro, Portugal, with branches of the family settling in Hamburg, Amsterdam, Copenhagen and London - indeed, the first instance of the name SEQUEIRA occurs in London in the 18th Century.

The first person to use this modified spelling of the name was Isaac Sequeira, born in London in 1713. He was the son of Abraham Rodrigues Sequeira, who set up home in London in 1712. Isaac's son, Abraham, born in London in 1741, was the grandfather of Toby Sequeira, born in London in 1786. Toby became founder of the Gibraltar Exchange and bought a property in Faro in 1815, which he converted to a Synagogue (Esnagoge Sequerra), which was still in use as late as 1932.

There were doctors throughout the family, Isaac Sequeira of Samuda (b. Lisbon 1696, d. London circa 1731), and the "London" Sequeira, Issaac Henriques (1738-1816). Isaac Henriques studied in Lisbon and Leida, and returned to set up a clinical practice in London. In 1772 he was working in London and Bath, and had acquired some renown. He became the doctor of a Prince of Portugal, and was also an attaché of the Portuguese Diplomatic Mission.

He taught at the Royal College of Medicine and was doctor to many aristocrats and patrons of English high society - among them Thomas Gainsborough, who painted his portrait. Joseph Montefiore, father of Sir Moses Montefiore, wrote of him as an "elegant high, thin man, with an aristocratic bearing and white hair", which is borne out by the portrait, which now hangs in the Prado in Madrid.

His father, grandmother and two uncles were also doctors, as was his cousin Isaac Sequeira of Samuda, a renowned medic who trained at the University of Évora. He (Issac of Samuda) also moved to London, and was elected to the College of Medicine in 1721, and, in 1723, to the Royal Society, also serving as a doctor in the Portuguese Diplomatic Mission.

Anyhow, here are the two portraits in question. I see a strong resemblance (particularly the nose and chin) and it's surely a good bet that Mitre Square George is descended from the good doctor who no doubt had Gainsborough on his books:

Click image for larger version

Name:	sequeiras.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	654903

Quite where George fits in to the family tree I'm not sure, but here are some tantalising Census returns that might link him - or at least his dad - with Whitechapel long before he was born.

1841 Census entry for 55, High Street, Whitechapel
      James Sequeira (Head), 55, b. Middlesex, London. Chemist
      Rebecca (Wife), 45, b. London [Nee Rebecca Howse]
      Louisa (Daur), 17, b. London
      Henry (Son), 16, b. London
      James (Son), 12, b. London
      Samuel Wyatt, 17, Not born locally, Chemist's ap(prentice?)
      Henry Clabon, 18, Not born locally, Chemist's ap(prentice?)

No entry found for 1851. Perhaps they were in Portugal.

1861 Census entry for 1, Jewry Street, Aldgate
      Henry L Sequeira (Head), 35, b. London. Surgeon
      Amelia (Wife), 31, b. Peckham. Surgeon's wife
      Amelia L (Daur), 5, b. London. Scholar
      Henry J (Son), 3, b. London.
      George W (Son), 2, b. London.
      Francis R C (Son), 5 months, b. London.
      Plus relatives and servants
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Gareth,

George is James elder cousin.

Monty.
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!
          thank you so much for all of that.. the pictures are fantastic too.
          he has always interested me.. i think it was his unusual name.
          thank you once again.. you're a star..

all the best
          Leighton

Comment

Thanks for making the familial link for me, Monty.

And thanks, Leighton, for the thanks!
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Guys,

Whilst researching another article with Rob Clack, I came across this. Though Id share.

Nothing major but interesting....especially for you Occultist theorists out there.

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Working...
              X