Did Jack carry a lantern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert View Post
    I don't know, Nats. Take Benelius. Now if Jack was a Swede, a turnip might have blended in nicely.
    ...yes, but easy prey for Inspector Roots, Chief Inspector Fred Aubergine, Chief Constable "Cauli" Williamson and Sir Godfrey Mushington-Peas of the Home Office.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

For more info consult "Lettuce From Hell."

Comment

Hi All,

Sorry to see this thread vegetate...

Anyway, the only chink of light I saw here was a comment about Dutfield's Yard which caught my eye.

While there's no evidence for the ripper bringing a personal light source with him in addition to a sharp knife when he ventured out that night, there's also no evidence (despite what certain posters insist) that if he had come across Liz a bit earlier on, he would have chosen, or would have been able, to mutilate her body had he murdered her.

People too often assume that if Liz died by the ripper's hand, she died for one purpose and one purpose only - to be mutilated. This really is an assumption too far in my view. I have no doubt that killing comes more easily to someone who has done it before, and that if Liz could have caused any man to lash out with one fatal blow from the knife he happened to have on him, that man could have been one who had only recently seen the light and learned just how easy it was to silence women like her.

Imagine for one second that Jack was not actively seeking out anyone to murder and mutilate at the time when he could have seen Liz hanging around the entrance to the club, assumed she was trying to pick up Jewish men for sex and lost his cool with her. She misreads the situation and says, "Listen ducks, if you want me it'll cost you and you'll have to do it here in the yard and be quick about it. I ain't going nowhere else". The ripper says to himself, "How very dare she?" and shuts her dirty mouth for her with a swift and competent slice to the throat, never intending to take her up the yard for any other purpose - too dark just outside the club, too much going on just inside, and besides, he decides when and where he gets his thrills thank you very much, and who's going to supply them, not some twopenny whore who goes with Jews.

But this woman got his blood up and made him kill her, so now he is determined to take it out on someone of his own choosing as soon as possible, and make them pay very dearly for it - all on his terms this time.

What we know the ripper did next, to Kate, in the darkness of Mitre Square, would fit that bill only too well. Her murder might be shining a powerful light on the earlier events in Berner Street, but some are determined to shield their eyes against the potential glare, while insisting there is nothing at all to see.

The Mitre Square murder is bursting at the seams, not unlike the apron, with potential clues about Jack that are lost to all those who won't keep their lamps open just in case.

Love,

Caz
        X
        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Caz, re vegetables and lanterns : Jack may have carried a pumpkin on Halloween.

The point you make makes one wonder whether Jack saw Kate hanging round the Imperial Club that night.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
            Caz, re vegetables and lanterns : Jack may have carried a pumpkin on Halloween.
            Proof positive he was an American! A Brit would have used a hollow swede. (No jokes at the expense of our Scandinavian friends, please )
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

This thread is turning . . .

. . . silly.

--J.D.

Comment

Guys,

Just a pic sent to me by Dr Stephen Leece after the Wolves conf.

Its of my Bulls eye. Funnily enough, it is actually lit and running.
                Attached Files
                Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

IT'S THE RIPPER!!!

--J.D.

Comment

X,

I estimated that it took me 6 out of the 9 minutes Jack had with Kate to GET THE BLOODY THING LIT !

Monty
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Thought, to take this seriously, presumably Jack would have used it frequently. To all things there are learning curves.

I would just think something of that size would be noticed, even by a prostitute.

"Is that a Bull's Eye in your trousers or are you just happy to meet me," what? What?

--J.D.

Comment

Pretty conspicuous carrying such a lamp, could easily be mistaken for a pail of beer methinks?

Kevin

Comment

Who,other than a night watchman and possibly a policeman would have carried a lamp/lantern as a part of his "kit"?
                          regards

Comment

Originally posted by dougie View Post
                            Who,other than a night watchman and possibly a policeman would have carried a lamp/lantern as a part of his "kit"?
                            Railway-man, sewage worker, coalminer?
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

We can probabley rule out the coal-miner The nearest mine might have been in South Wales....or Kent maybe.....But the lamp/lantern issue could be interesting,maybe?
                              regards

Comment

Working...
                              X