Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC William CUFF H Division

William CUFF

Joined the Met on the 12th May 1879 and was posted to H Division.
    5th August 1879, gave evidence at the Old Bailey.
    MICHAEL M'CARTHY (26) , Robbery, with two other persons not known, on Thomas Sims.
    MR. DOUGLAS METCALFE Prosecuted.
    THOMAS SIMS . I am a sailor, at the Sailors' Home, Whitechapel—about 10 p.m. on Saturday, 2nd August, I was accosted by two women in Ellesmere Lane—they followed me to Back Church Lane, when the prisoner joined them and the two women caught hold of me and the prisoner knocked me down and rifled my pockets—I had 4l. in gold and some silver—they all assisted and turned my trousers pocket inside out and tore it down, and the prisoner kicked me in the eye and said Take that for your change"—I could not see for the first three days after, and both eyes were blackened—I gave information, and the prisoner was brought to me and I indentified him.
    Cross-examined by the Prisoner. I might have said at the police-court that you kicked me in the eye or on the nose—I said the same as to-day.
    WILLIAM CUFF (Policeman H 26). At 10 p.m. on 2nd August I saw the prosecutor in Back Church Lane bleeding very much from the face, and in consequence of what he said I went down the street and saw the prisoner and another man walking away as fast as they could—I caught the prisoner and took him back to the prosecutor, who identified him immediately—he was formally charged with an assault on the prosecutor with intent to rob—he said in reply "I kicked him, but I did not intend to rob him."
    Cross-examined by the Prisoner. You did not say you did it in selfdefence—you were sober—no money was found on you. The Prisoners' Statement before the Magistrate. "I own I struck him with my fist, as he struck me, but without intention to rob him."
    Prisoner's Defence. I admitted striking him in self-defence, but not of attempting to rob.
    GUILTY **— Fifteen Months' Imprisonment.
    1881 census lists him as living at Leman Street, Police Station.
    1887 Jubilee named to him still at H Division.
    08/10/1887 PC89H posted PC as PS26G
    22/07/1890 Sub Insp G To T Division
    6/04/1894 Sub Insp T to To Insp M
    14/08/1897 Insp M To Reserve
    17/05/1898 Insp M To SDI K
    1901 census Divisional Insp K Division. Living East India Road, Poplar - with wife and child (next door to section house).
    15/05/1905 SDI K PENSIONED
    1911 Shaftsbury Dorset (pensioner).
    1933 died Dorset .
Working...
X