Emma Smith - where exactly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emma Smith - where exactly?

Inspector Edmund Reid has her attack occuring 'on the pathway opposite no 10 Brick Lane'.

Most books say it was near the chocolate/mustard factory (which concurs) but many maps have it on the corner of Osborne/Brick Lane and Wentworth/Old Montague - usually the SW or NW corners.

Assuming Brick Lane didn't start numbering from no 10 at that corner, I presume it must be further north of the crossroads.

Does anyone know the numbering of the lower eastern side of Brick Lane?

Smith herself pointed the spot out as opposite the Cocoa and mustard factory, south west corner of Wentworth and Osbourne Streets.

As a side issue, on Saturday evening Rob and I discussed the possibility that the factory retaining wall still exists. We have taken photos and will reproduce them when I get a moment.

However we are checking the relevant sources before we comment any further.

Monty

PS It must also be noted the police were unaware of Smiths attack until the Coroners office notified them of the inquest, so Reid was working with hearsay rather than first hand testimony.
    Last edited by Monty; 04-02-2012, 11:41 PM.
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Thanks Monty

I thought Emma Smith pointed out a spot 'near' the factory. I wasn't aware she'd specifically noted that corner.

Of course, Reid's notes were second-hand but I'd've assumed it was from the likes of Mary Russell. Indeed Russell's inquest testimony only states a spot 'near' the cocoa factory.

Cheers

DavidB

Comment

I may be wrong David, and willing to be corrected.

A thought she pointed the spot out as she was being taken to hospital, though I am working off memory and not sources.

Monty
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Thanks again, certainly the sources have it that she pointed out the spot 'near' the cocoa factory on the way to the hospital. Reid identifies that spot as opposite No 10 Brick Lane.

But I don't know which building that is!

Comment

From Reid's report:

"...she had been assaulted and robbed in Osborne St. London Hospital near Cocoa factory (Messrs Taylors Bros.)"

Further down it gives more detail:

"The offence had been committed on the pathway opposite No.10 Brick Lane, about 300 yards from 18, George Street, and half a mile from the London Hospital to which deceased walked".

Mary Russell, the lodging-house deputy (according to the Lloyds Weekly News account) said:

"She (Emma) also pointed out where the outrage occurred, as they passed the spot, which was near the cocoa factory (Taylors)."

Hope that helps.

Regards, Bridewell.
            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Thanks Bridewell, that's what I had too.

Looking at the 1891 Ordnance Survey map, and counting up, it would put the attack up near the corner with Thrawl St (i.e. opposite the Frying Pan).

But I can't be sure of the numbering on the eastern side of Brick Lane, I was hoping someone could help me out.

Cheers

DavidB

Comment

Hi All,

Taylor Brothers, chocolate manufacturers, were at Nos. 1, 3 & 5 Brick Lane [west side], at the junction of Wentworth Street/Old Montague Street and Osborn Street.

Taylor Brothers were also at Nos. 65 to 70 Wentworth Street.

Source: 1888 Post Office Street Directory.

Regards,

Simon
                Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Just a suggestion, but is there a Goad map of this area which might help?

Best wishes

Dave

Comment

Thanks Simon

That feeds into the idea that it was higher up - closer to Thrawl St - if she was attacked opposite No10

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                    Hi All,

Taylor Brothers, chocolate manufacturers, were at Nos. 1, 3 & 5 Brick Lane [west side], at the junction of Wentworth Street/Old Montague Street and Osborn Street.

Taylor Brothers were also at Nos. 65 to 70 Wentworth Street.

Source: 1888 Post Office Street Directory.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi DGB,

No. 10 Brick Lane appears to be half way between Wentworth/Old Montague Streets and Finch Street. You may be able to work it out from the attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BRICK LANE WEST SIDE 1888 PO STREET DIRECTORY.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	663546 Click image for larger version

Name:	BRICK LANE EAST SIDE 1888 PO STREET DIRECTORY.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	663547

Regards,

Simon
                      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

I`ve put a splodge on the pavement opposite 10 Brick Lane. Notice that covered entrance a few yards north.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Ah John, it seems you got in before me (and probably with much less effort - that's my Saturday morning gone!)

Below is a sketch from the OS map (and an overlay for reference), it includes 18 George Street where Emma was staying.

I've used Post Office listings (thanks Simon) as well as the slum clearance and lodging house maps (Rob Clack I believe - thanks Rob!) to plot it out as best I can. Dotted lines indicate where there's confusion between the maps.

It's still unclear, as there don't seem to be enough buildings on the right-hand-side. As Dave mentions, perhaps a Goad of the lower end of Brick Lane will answer - if anyone has one.

Whatever the case, it seems higher up than I first thought. And I too find the covered yard on the left interesting.

Cheers

DavidB
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looking at the Street Directory and the map, am I alone in not being able to see a number 10 (or for that matter 12) at all?

On the Eastern side of the road, the factory seems to have absorbed the "missing" numbers...wonder what it was on the West?

Best wishes

Dave

(Well somebody had to ask the stupid question didn't they?!)
                            Last edited by Cogidubnus; 04-07-2012, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Hi Dave

I`m not sure about this at all but it looks like only businesses are listed in the PO.

Comment

Working...
                              X