Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Kaz 11 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Varqm 18 minutes ago.
General Police Discussion: J Division Fixed Point Whitechapel Station? - by The Station Cat 3 hours ago.
General Police Discussion: Police Orders 1st October 1888 - by The Station Cat 4 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Michael W Richards 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Sam Flynn 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (29 posts)
Hutchinson, George: The Enigma That Is Richard Blake - (1 posts)
General Police Discussion: Police Orders 1st October 1888 - (1 posts)
General Police Discussion: J Division Fixed Point Whitechapel Station? - (1 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications

Old 01-01-2016, 07:54 AM
Inactive

Default An important discovery

Hi,

and happy new year.

Craig has posted an article by Bernard Brown. In the article the author has published a letter I havenīt seen before. The letter is dated September 29th 1888. Brown writes:

“Yet further clues were contained in another letter received by police bearing a Liverpool postmark dated 29th September 1888, but these were not identified as such.

It read:

Beware I shall be at work on the first and second in the Minories at 12 midnight and I give the authorities a good chance, but there is never a policeman near when I am at work.

What the Ripper was referring to in his last remark was the fact that all the murders had been committed in the vicinity of a fixed point where a PC would normally be stationed up to 1 a.m. he was indirectly telling Commissioner WARREN that if only the points had been manned then he would have stood some chance of being caught.”

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=9347&page=29

Brown believes that Jack the Ripper was a policeman and I am not sure about his interpretation of the last remark in the letter. But when I read this letter I discovered some very important things:

1. It is written on the day preceeding the murders of the “double event”. This means it could be authentic.

2. It is written in a metaphorical language and it says: Beware I shall be at work on the first and second in the Minories at 12 midnight…”.

The first and second must mean the first and second victim, that is Stride and Eddowes.

3. I searched for the letter on the internet and found it. It is longer than in Browns article and it says:

Beware I shall be at work on the 1st and 2nd inst. in the Minories at 12 midnight and I give the authorities a good chance but there is never a policeman near when I am at work. Yours Jack the Ripper.

http://www.casebook.org/ripper_letters/

4. The letter was written on the day preceeding the murders. But the expression the first and second should make the police believe that he was going to strike in October and that “inst” meant October although it must have meant September.

5. It is signed ”Jack the Ripper”. This means that the name is an invention of the killer.

I want to thank Craig who published the article by Bernard Brown. I find it very important. It has the metaphorical language, it gives the day and the locations of the murder on Stride and Eddowes and it gives us a strong hypothesis for the killer choosing to call himself Jack the Ripper.

Thanks Craig!

Kind Regards, Pierre

Last edited by Pierre : 01-01-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:16 AM
Commisioner

Odd,

Cos fixed point duty ran a 3.00pm till 7.00am slot in H Division Whitechapel, not 1.00am as in most other divisions.

Monty

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622
Old 01-01-2016, 08:54 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Cos fixed point duty ran a 3.00pm till 7.00am slot in H Division Whitechapel, not 1.00am as in most other divisions.
Not such an important discovery then.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:58 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Pierre

several points

You again are making statements of certainty, I have underlined the parts in the following two statements, which have no backup other than your opinion.

"2. It is written in a metaphorical language and it says: Beware I shall be at work on the first and second in the Minories at 12 midnight…”.

The first and second must mean the first and second victim, that is Stride and Eddowes."

"4. The letter was written on the day preceeding the murders. But the expression the first and second should make the police believe that he was going to strike in October and that “inst” meant October although it must have meant September."

You are not in a postion to say must, you could say "could" "could possibly" or "probably"

you tell us that we cannot go on gut feelings or opinion. That is what this is YOUR opinion.

Now let me get this right you are claiming:

"5. It is signed ”Jack the Ripper”. This means that the name is an invention of the killer."

you state :
The letter is dated September 29th 1888

The Dear Boss letter is dated 25th. it came first.

your suggestion is lacking
Old 01-01-2016, 09:19 AM
Commisioner

The other problem with this theory is that the purported letter was not "postmarked" 29 September 1888.

This existence of the letter was first mentioned (and transcribed) in a 1927 book by J. Hall Richardson entitled "From City to Fleet Street". There is no contemporary report of it at all. No-one has seen the original (or the envelope) and no known copy of it exists.

The date of the letter has been deduced from the fact that the author supposedly headed it "Liverpool. 29th inst". That could easily mean 29th October or any other month frankly. It could even be from 1889 or a later year.

The letter was supposedly from Jack the Ripper of "Prince William Street Liverpool" and is rounded off with the comment "What fools the police are I even give them the name of the street where I am living".
Old 01-01-2016, 09:46 AM
Assistant Commissioner

David and others,

It would help us all I think if Pierre would bother to do some background study on the subject before he posts new threads, obviously Pierre had not seen the letter before, and instead of looking at opinions of it has just given his interpretation, with an exclamation of joy about an important discovery.

This same letter was used during the Maybrick diary theory.

The Dear Boss letter was received by the Central News Agency on 27th September, that is in the only book Pierre says he has. Sugden chapter 13 paragraph 2.

"It is now well known that the name "Jack the Ripper" was coined by the author of a pseudonymous letter received by the Central News Agency on 27 September"

it obviously pre-dates this letter, and therefore the killer did not give himself the name.

Like the Mitre Square post recently assumptions are made from reading only one source, in this case a letter, and from getting basic facts wrong
Old 01-01-2016, 10:00 AM
Commisioner

As I've said many times, Steve, Pierre has an inherent propensity to leap to conclusions based on documents (or "data") which he has not properly understood. He does it time and again and this is just one more example of it.

The name "Jack the Ripper", incidentally, did not enter the public domain until 1 October 1888 so we can be fairly certain that, if this letter even existed in the first place, it was not written on, or dated, 29 September 1888.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:09 AM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
Pierre

you state :
The letter is dated September 29th 1888

The Dear Boss letter is dated 25th. it came first.

your suggestion is lacking

The Dear Boss letter is a fraud. And thinking about the Dear Boss letter, the author must have gotten the concept "Jack the Ripper" from the letter dated the 29th.

So the suggestion is better than I first thought. It even explains the Dear Boss letter. And since the Dear Boss letter was first published in October, after the double event, the author(s) of it must have read the letter dated the 29th and understood that it was written by the killer since it preceded the double event.

Thanks Steve for helping me developing this.
Regards Pierre